Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Condoms with non-/spermicidal lubricant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What the difference between a condom with a non-spermicidal lubricant & one with a spermicidal lubricant?

Also what's a spermicidal lubricant?

<br><marquee align="center" loop="infinte"><font color="666666">.:</font><font color="ff6600">Crispy</font><font color="666666">:.</font></marquee><br></font>

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think spermicidal condoms are any safer than others ones, because ones the condoms split whats a teeny bit of spermicide actaully going to do?

I found they just made me itch. :yuck:
    Spermicide condoms are safer, because they do give an extyra little bit of protection, especially when withdrawing. But spermicide can irritate some people with sensitive skin.

Use spermicidal condoms unless you find you can't.
    I've heard quite strong advice to never use them, from Em & Lo, who I think are as close as you can get to experts. They have pretty near no beneficial effect, and can cause serious irritation. Plus they smell horrible IMHO
    Originally posted by Me_and
    I've heard quite strong advice to never use them, from Em & Lo, who I think are as close as you can get to experts. They have pretty near no beneficial effect, and can cause serious irritation. Plus they smell horrible IMHO

They don't cause serious irrtation in most people, they do have some beneficial effect, and unless you have very sensitive skin you should use them.

They don't do any harm to most people, and the extra bit of protection is always better.
    Originally posted by Kermit

Use spermicidal condoms unless you find you can't.

i just noticed "durex extra safe" no longer seem to use a spermicidal lube...so not quite sure what makes them extra safe now. but what brands do have spermicidal lube?
    Originally posted by cheesy_stick
    i just noticed "durex extra safe" no longer seem to use a spermicidal lube...so not quite sure what makes them extra safe now.
    they're thicker than normal
    but what brands do have spermicidal lube?
    Mates UltraSafe, and some of the Natural ones you can get through the NHS - not, I think, the ones you buy from the shops.
    Originally posted by cheesy_stick
    i just noticed "durex extra safe" no longer seem to use a spermicidal lube

I had a gander on some condom buying sites & this is the description:
    Durex Extra Safe spermicidally lubricated condoms provide extra reassurance against the risk of unplanned pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Transparent, shaped, teat ended, natural rubber latex condoms with a spermicidal lubricant, containing nonoxynol 9.
    Originally posted by Me_and
    they're thicker than normal

Are they though?

Durex Extra Safe thickness = 0.07mm
    another Durex comparision thickness = 0.07mm

Durex Ultra Strong have a thickness = 0.08mm
    *gone*