Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

This is how caring and compassionate hunting people are

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    OK, fairynuff. The CA are still cunts though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    Hunting with dogs is not an upper-class hobby. Anyone who lives in the countryside could tell you that. This is a vindictive, class-driven move by a failed government that has lost its way.

If it wasn't an upper-class hobby, you wouldn't call it a class-driven move would you?

Most people wanted it banned because it is a cruel sport.
  • Options
    Yeah
    fuck hunting
    who gives a shit about a few foxes, they would have to be killed anyway, shot its just a cruel, why would hunt protesters get so worked up about it, when theres much much much worst thinhs going on in the world to people and worst things going on to animals in factory farms in the UK, one battery chicken building probably causes more suffering to animals in a year then all the foxhunting in history.

There is more important things to look at its a bit smug and sanctimonious and blind to the real problems in the world to be soi anti fox hunting (a bit like that craven **** Tony Blaire actually)

I find it reminisent of American attitudes, such as the case where the woman had been in a "persistant vegative state" for 10 years her husband wanted to switch off life support , her parents didnt, the court decided that her husband had the right to decide, this was a big media case, so before she was switched off, the governer Jeb Bush stepped in and ordered her to be kept alive,,
    A whole load of americans decided that this was a "mirical" decided by god.
    GOD IS A WHITE CHRISTAIN AMERICAN, would move to keep her alive but does nothing to stop millions dying who are black andf poor.

Dose anybidy find this attitude similer to rabid animal rights extreamists,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Up until the day the fox is killed I can asure it has lived a far better quality of life than the animals that get served up on your plate.
    Not necessarily.

And not that an animal having a good life permits some twats tear it to pieces for fun anyway...
    And if you only disagree with shooting when it's for food how do you propose to keep fox numbers down after this ban. I suspect that snares will be a far more common way of dealign with foxes after this ban anyway. I pretty awful way to die to be honest. Take hours.
    You're right. I forgot to add 'shooting for pest control purposes' to the list of acceptable conditions.

No it's my pet. Likewise if you shoot and eat my pet I would be equally pissed off.
    We use animals for different purposes - most of them we eat.
    See, this is where you and most of the pro-hunters get it wrong. Animals are not ours to do what the fuck we want with them. As part of the food chain, it is acceptable for humans to eat other animals. It is however not acceptable for humans to kill animals for fun. Animals are not yours, mine or anyone else’s to play with.

The fucking countryside is not yours, mine or anyone else's either, for that matter. I'm getting rather bored with the suggestions that hunters or farmers are somehow the owners or keepers of the countryside and all the species that populate it. The pro-hunting lot are actually giving the word 'countryside' a bad name.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    Yeah
    fuck hunting
    who gives a shit about a few foxes, they would have to be killed anyway, shot its just a cruel, why would hunt protesters get so worked up about it, when theres much much much worst thinhs going on in the world to people and worst things going on to animals in factory farms in the UK, one battery chicken building probably causes more suffering to animals in a year then all the foxhunting in history.

I know what you mean, but most serious anti-hunt protestors are also vegan and campaign against factory farming.
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    YeahThere is more important things to look at its a bit smug and sanctimonious and blind to the real problems in the world to be soi anti fox hunting (a bit like that craven **** Tony Blaire actually)

Yes, I do think it is opportunist of Blair, deflecting important issues such as Iraq onto relatively less important ones like hunting.
  • Options
    However if it is anyone's fault that the issue keeps rumbling on and on and on it's the fucking Lords, not the government.

The will of the people and of the House of Commons has repeatedly been trampled on by the Lords since this issue was first voted out. Had the Lords not acted so selfishly and declined to defend the interests of their friends instead of torpedoing the Hunting bill again and again and fucking again, this Bill would have been passed a long time ago, and valuable Parliament time would not have been 'lost'.

I don't see why the government and the will of the House of Commons should be defeated by an out of touch, mostly unelected minority simply by the dirty trick of derailing legislation time after time and then claiming we have more important things to debate. If anyone is to be blame for lost time, it is certainly the Lords, not the government.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    While we're at it, and to paraphrase Mark Thomas, to say that hunting with dogs is not a toff sport because it employs working class people is akin to saying the Ritz Hotel is not posh because it employs low-paid cleaners and housekeepers.

Not that the reasons of the banning should be based on class anyway- though it is very fair to say that the ONLY reason hunting with dogs wasn't made illegal a long time ago is because it's an upper class hobby.
    100% right, they banned the working class cruel sports such as badger baiting, dog fighting and cock fighting a long time ago. Hunting is the only one left - I wonder why.
  • Options
    Of course it's a class issue, how could it not be? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    100% right, they banned the working class cruel sports such as badger baiting, dog fighting and cock fighting a long time ago. Hunting is the only one left - I wonder why.

I have to point out a big differnce between the two, with badger baiting, dog fighting and cock fighting your taking animals out of thier natural habitat and inflicting almost certain death, badgers have their claws removed and cant run away, cocks are specifically bread for fighting thats tampering with nature, hair coursing is definatly a working class sport and it had not been banned (till now) cause its hunting natural animals in their habitat where they stand a change of escaping,
  • Options
  • Options

Because it serves a purpose.

Anyway, why isn't fishing banned yet? It's cruel, it's barbaric, and it's killing for fun.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Because it serves a purpose.

Anyway, why isn't fishing banned yet? It's cruel, it's barbaric, and it's killing for fun.

It doesn't always result in the death of the fish though.

What about those who fish to support their families?
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    It doesn't always result in the death of the fish though.

What about those who fish to support their families?

It nearly always does- keep them and they suffocate, throw them back and they are so weakened by the trauma that they die soon afterwards. Throwing them back is actually crueller than not.

If you kill fish to eat then that is acceptable, if you fish for sport then it is not.

But hey, wait a minute, city boys fish. Can't ban that, Bliar might lose votes.
  • Options
    As for the horse being dead anyway, when was the last time you just found a dead horse? Course they killed it, to make a point.

Horses get put down all the time. Literally all the time, if one breaks a leg it gets put down.

The only difference is that this carcass was driven and dumped, rather than being boiled down to make glue and dog food.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Do you have a dog or a cat? If you do, I trust you would not get wound up at all if I came around and set it on fire for amusement. At the end of the day, it's only a small silly animal right?

Pointless argument.

Fox hunting is survival of the fittest. The strong foxes get away, the wek ones don't. It keeps the population down, it kills off the weak, that is good for any population.

People object to fox hunting for two reasons:

1. "Posh" people do it.
    2. They enjoy it.

Come up with a better solution for vermin control then.

Oh, and I presume that nobody who objects to fox hunting has ever used a mouse trap or rat poison? Or stood on a spider?
  • Options
    The point is that foxes don't really need controlling.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    The point is that foxes don't really need controlling.

Moot point, that.

A mouse in the skirting board doesn't, if we're going to be pernickety.
  • Options
    How is it moot? It's the crux of the argument is it not?
  • Options
    How is it moot? It's the crux of the argument is it not?

Those with the agneda one way so they aren't vermin, those with the other agenda say they are a huge problem that needs to be dealt with. Both have figures and facts to prove it.

Such is life.
  • Options
    Personally I believe the Bristol University study.
  • Options
    Personally I believe the Bristol University study.

Just personal opinion though.

I think boths ides overstate the odds to prove a point. And animal rights protestors have a long and successful history of lying through their back teeth, even more so than the CA (who are vermin).
  • Options
    animal rights protestors have a long and successful history of lying through their back teeth

Examples?
  • Options
    I think the integrity and reliability of the RSPCA pisses over any pro-hunt group around.

They have concluded- as have many others- that the threat posed by foxes is well overstated.

In any event if the fox population is such a threat, it is not very responsible of the hunts to artificially breed them is it?
  • Options
    Any hutn that does that should be shut down, though again I feel that that was an isolated case overstated to make a point.

Leaving aside this issue, the RSPCA are hardly abounding in integrity. Like prosecuting someone who went away for the weekend and locked the cat out with some food- what a waste of money that was.

I am against fox hunting, and aren't sad to see it banned, but it has been banned because of social issues rather than animal welfare issues. The RSPCA should have been trying to get Foie Gras factories shut down before getting rid of hunting, but no, they can't be arsed with that.

My opinion of the RSPCA is somewhere below that of the NSPCC and slightly above Greenpeace and FotE.
  • Options
    Any hutn that does that should be shut down, though again I feel that that was an isolated case overstated to make a point.

Its actually common practice for hunts to did artificial earths for foxes.
  • Options
    Its actually common practice for hunts to did artificial earths for foxes.

So you said before. I don't deny it, but nobody could give any decent proof.
  • Options
    So you said before. I don't deny it, but nobody could give any decent proof.

No, I can't give any proof, but it is well known.
  • Options
    To be honest, I really do not dispute the views expressed by the Duke of Beaufort in his book, "Fox Hunting", where he says that, in countries where earths are scarce, it is sometimes found necessary to make artificial earths to provide somewhere for local foxes to have their cubs; in other words, for breeding purposes. Now, he is a leading authority on hunting, and I do not dispute the words that he expresses there. I do not say that every hunt in the country has artificial earths. I concede that it varies from hunting country to hunting country. Some of them have a great number. One of them I know, the Thurlow Hunt, which is not far from myself, has at least 31 artificial earths that we know of. It could well be that they are going at it with a great deal of enthusiasm because the chap is a shooting man and views the fox cubs in the same way as raising pheasants. Whereas other hunts, perhaps, have far fewer. But, again, it is a comment from our opponents that there are artificial earths in most hunting countries in the United Kingdom, and I dont' dispute that.

DR VICTORIA EDWARDS: Could I follow you up on that, and the extent to which those artificial earths -- which perhaps will be a good case example -- are still being created or still in use. I would suspect that a shooting person would not want them, rather than encouraging them. Are they historical, or are they current?

MR HUSKISSON: They are certainly historic. If you go back to the first instance of the Bailey's Hunting Directory, there is a guide on how to build artificial earths. That was at the back end of not the last Century but the one before that. They are still building them -- by building, I also add refurbishing as well because they take existing ones, that have become a bit collapsed for whatever reason, and they are putting in new pipes, and making them nice and cosy and warm again for foxes. So it is still an ongoing thing. It is still happening. .

From http://www.huntinginquiry.gov.uk/mainsections/oralevidence/oral6aprilsess2.htm
  • Options
    Hmm.

I stand corrected abouty the artificial sets, assumign that the inquiry evidence was given truthfully. And that does kind of negate the necessity argument.

I still say though that hunting has been banend because of who does it, not because of any concern for the fox.