Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

This is how caring and compassionate hunting people are

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know, why don't you post several times making the same comment, because that makes it more true...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I'm honestly not sure. But something as simple as a regular hire for a hunt can make the difference between keeping a horse, and letting it go. Vet bills can be expensive.

I thought that poor people went hunting as well?
  • Options
    I know, why don't you post several times making the same comment, because that makes it more true...

I'm interested to see what you come up with in response.
  • Options
    While there will be some homes found many of those dogs will be considered dangerous and only to be handled by an experienced trainer, many will have to be put down.

Total rubbish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I'm interested to see what you come up with in response.

If you want to know, read the previous thread on the ban. If not, I don't care.
  • Options
    Nicely avoiding the question. Well done. You haven't got a leg to stand on and you know it.
  • Options
    Nicely avoiding the question. Well done. You haven't got a leg to stand on and you know it.
    If you want to know, read the previous thread on the ban. If not, I don't care.
  • Options
    You haven't written anything in that thread which answers my points.
  • Options
    Well considering you tend not to like my answers that's hardly surprising is it. I answered the question, why will the horses die, with because they won't be able to afford the upkeep. You don't like it, nothing I can do.
  • Options
    It's a bullshit argument that doesn't stand up under close examination.
    (a) how is it going to make any difference
    (b) they don't give a fuck about their animals anyway
    (c) if they did, they would keep them
    (d) foxhounds are not dangerous animals

etc etc. It's hypocritical manipulative bullshit and the reason you're not trying very hard to defend it, is 'cos you know it's bullshit.
  • Options
    Well considering you tend not to like my answers that's hardly surprising is it. I answered the question, why will the horses die, with because they won't be able to afford the upkeep. You don't like it, nothing I can do.

at least they'll die an honourable death if there is such a thing for an animal, they're not going to be chased around a field by a lion or something and mauled to death, are they?
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    at least they'll die an honourable death if there is such a thing for an animal, they're not going to be chased around a field by a lion or something and mauled to death, are they?

If an animal were to have an honourable death, surely the chase would be it? Interesting potential philosophical debate there. The chase is the natural order for animals, that's what they'd want?
  • Options
    so the pro hunting alliance are saying dont ban us from killing animals because otherwise animals will be killed.
    Who wins.
    They just love killing it seems.
    As for the horse being dead anyway, when was the last time you just found a dead horse? Course they killed it, to make a point.
  • Options
    Horses get put down all the time. It's part of country life. It kinda looked like an old bugger to me anyway.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Hounds are definately not suitable as pets simply because they have not been reared as such. These are animals that have lived most their lives in kennels in the company of other dogs.

Blagsta how well do you understand the countryside and the people that live and breathe it? To be fair I don't know that much myself (despite living here most of my life) but I know the people that do. These people love their animals, love their countryside - they are the only reason we still have one. Their passion for hunting of all kinds ties in with the upkeep of the estates and their daily lives. Most of these people arn't toffs - they're farmers, horseriders, gamerkeepers, forest workers, and generally the people whose jobs depend on the hunt i.e horse trainers, dog handlers and kennel owners, rat catchers etc.

Aladdin unless you are prepared to tell me you are a vegan you are being severely hypocritical when it comes to your view on the cruelty of fox hunters. Obviously out of sight out of mind. It really makes me laugh how some of you can get so wouynd up by such a little thing as fox hunting.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    As for the horse being dead anyway, when was the last time you just found a dead horse?

You're right, usually they're made into glue, pedigree chum or shipped of to France. As I've said it's out of sight out of mind for you lot.
    As soon as you see a dead horse it's 'OMG, fucking bastards' it's not as though many of you even see a horse on a day to day basis anyway (probably have to go to the city zoo or somehting) - and how many of you know how to ride?
    Animals die, get over it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You can't equate people and animals.
  • Options
    Well unless you're a vegan you shouldn't. If you have pets you shouldn't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    People die, so no one would mind if I went out and chased a few kids/people and killed them?

You can eat a steak and nobody would mind, if you ate a human steak I'm sure that people might get a bit bothered.
    There is a difference.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    that stunt does no one any favours.
    certainly no favours for those of us who agree that hunting has fuck all to do with the government.
    it was sick. extremely fucking stupid and ...has outraged me ...a person who doesn't hunt foxes with dogs but believes people should be allowed to.
    now ...i believe they have seriously shot themselves in the foot as extremists of any kind usualy do.
    this has damaged the case for hunting beyond belief and if they all get fucking strung up now ...yes because of the behaviour of a minority ...? ? ? tough.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Aladdin unless you are prepared to tell me you are a vegan you are being severely hypocritical when it comes to your view on the cruelty of fox hunters. Obviously out of sight out of mind. It really makes me laugh how some of you can get so wouynd up by such a little thing as fox hunting.
    No I'm not a vegan. And not I am not being hypocritical. I don't disagree with shooting (for food). I don't disagree with fishing. I don't disagree with eating meat. However I disagree with tearing an animal apart for fun.

Do you have a dog or a cat? If you do, I trust you would not get wound up at all if I came around and set it on fire for amusement. At the end of the day, it's only a small silly animal right?
  • Options
    Blagsta how well do you understand the countryside and the people that live and breathe it? To be fair I don't know that much myself (despite living here most of my life) but I know the people that do. These people love their animals, love their countryside - they are the only reason we still have one. Their passion for hunting of all kinds ties in with the upkeep of the estates and their daily lives. Most of these people arn't toffs - they're farmers, horseriders, gamerkeepers, forest workers, and generally the people whose jobs depend on the hunt i.e horse trainers, dog handlers and kennel owners, rat catchers etc

It's a myth that everyone in the countryside approves of hunting. Plenty don't.
  • Options
    Where has it ever been said, at any time, that everyone approves of it?
  • Options
    Where has it ever been said, at any time, that everyone approves of it?

Read the post I was replying to. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    How can you possibly take that as that 'everyone supports hunting'? You're being deliberatly obstructive.
  • Options
    While we're at it, and to paraphrase Mark Thomas, to say that hunting with dogs is not a toff sport because it employs working class people is akin to saying the Ritz Hotel is not posh because it employs low-paid cleaners and housekeepers.

Not that the reasons of the banning should be based on class anyway- though it is very fair to say that the ONLY reason hunting with dogs wasn't made illegal a long time ago is because it's an upper class hobby.
  • Options
    Hunting with dogs is not an upper-class hobby. Anyone who lives in the countryside could tell you that. This is a vindictive, class-driven move by a failed government that has lost its way. This has nothing to do with making animals' lives easier. It is all to do with trendy metropolitan politcians who understand little about the countryside and care even less, and a Prime Minister desperate to save his own skin from Labour MPs baying for his blood after the Iraq debacle.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No I'm not a vegan. And not I am not being hypocritical. I don't disagree with shooting (for food). I don't disagree with fishing. I don't disagree with eating meat. However I disagree with tearing an animal apart for fun.

Up until the day the fox is killed I can asure it has lived a far better quality of life than the animals that get served up on your plate.

And if you only disagree with shooting when it's for food how do you propose to keep fox numbers down after this ban. I suspect that snares will be a far more common way of dealign with foxes after this ban anyway. I pretty awful way to die to be honest. Take hours.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Do you have a dog or a cat? If you do, I trust you would not get wound up at all if I came around and set it on fire for amusement. At the end of the day, it's only a small silly animal right?

No it's my pet. Likewise if you shoot and eat my pet I would be equally pissed off.
    We use animals for diferent purposes - most of them we eat.
    It's a myth that everyone in the countryside approves of hunting. Plenty don't.

I'm sorry you got the impression I was talking about everyone in the country, I was talking about those involved in hunting (of all sorts).
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    How can you possibly take that as that 'everyone supports hunting'?

Because that's what it implies. Read it again.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you got the impression I was talking about everyone in the country, I was talking about those involved in hunting (of all sorts).

That's how it read. The CA represent only a small minority of country people, mainly rich landowners.