Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Doing a Masters Course in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I think I want a change of pace and want to go back to Uni and do a full time masters degree for 1 year only.

I missed out big time on my BA Business Degree cs I went to a Brand New University Campus that had virtually Zero student facilities for the 3 years I was there, i.e. no gym, sports, crap student union no internet and no email until my very last year there too.

I'm thinking I can go to uni during the day and maybe run a few eventsto help pay for it all, perhaps catering to students specifically and being in a big uni will make it easier to promote events from within.

I spoke to one guy during Salsa lessons today who's brother's friend did that and said he was make shit loads of money at uni running events. So I could get an education and earn at the same time if it all worked out.

Not 100% sure what I want to study though, something that WILL get me bettre job prospects in a year's time if I so wish to look for a premenant role and also a big London uni for the events side of things with a number of clubs, etc cos my old one had none of those and was so crap it's now closed!!! :(

Any suggestions guys for good uni's to apply to? I got a 2:1 Hons in Business Studies soI'm qualified to apply for most Masters courses.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If your not sure then apply for something business/management related.

I have come to the conclusion that as long as you have a 2:1 you can walk into any masters course you want - especially as your paying. I went to Imperial to do mine and even though my degree was good my A-levels were crap so I was kind of suprised that I got in.

However unlike at an undergraduate level at a postgraduate fee's are not regulated so whilst most courses are aroun £3k in fees for a year some places charge loads more - LSE especially charges at least £6K even if you are a UK citizen for all of thier courses even the development related ones. At imperial some of the engineering and business ones are over £20K.

But yes Masters are a doddle as well - good luck
  • Options
    London Met- we have awesome sports facilities like yoga, horse riding and many more and we also have a gym. ;)

www.londonmet.ac.uk

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    London Met- we have awesome sports facilities like yoga, horse riding and many more and we also have a gym. ;)

www.londonmet.ac.uk

Ilora x

You keep saying we .. aren't you in Milton Keynes??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    If your not sure then apply for something business/management related.

I have come to the conclusion that as long as you have a 2:1 you can walk into any masters course you want - especially as your paying. I went to Imperial to do mine and even though my degree was good my A-levels were crap so I was kind of suprised that I got in.

However unlike at an undergraduate level at a postgraduate fee's are not regulated so whilst most courses are aroun £3k in fees for a year some places charge loads more - LSE especially charges at least £6K even if you are a UK citizen for all of thier courses even the development related ones. At imperial some of the engineering and business ones are over £20K.

But yes Masters are a doddle as well - good luck

Lots of good advice there, I went to one uni today to see about a course that strats monday and to be honest I wasn't impressed ... the way they base things it's 1 week sold lectures then 3 weeks sod off and work on your own or with classes mates then back to 1 week lectues and 3 weeks on your own, etc and so on.

Also I seem to know more about the course then the guy managing it (he's taken over from someone else)

He was a really nice guy but at the end of the day I felt it would be £3,000 down the drain

I have a 2:1 and you're right that's the only thing he was concerned about 2:2 wouldn't quite be enough from the way he was acting!!

The only letters after your name that I know employers specifically look for these days are MBA but that's like £10,000+ to £30,00+ at the top uni's and only to make it exclusive, not cos it's any more hours or better standard.

I also wanted to do a Masters to experience the uni life I missed out on first time round cos of going to a crap uni that had no facilities at all and this one wasn't that much better
  • Options
    which one did you go to?

Apart from a hidious love of learning I did a masters because to work in development you have to have one - along with a lot of volunteering experience. I am not really doing anything wildly related to my course now though.
  • Options
    I decided to email them back today and say i can't do the course cos of other commitments, sounds better then saying I don't think you guys even know how to teach this degree and it would be a waste of 9 months of my life and £3,000 of my dosh!!

I think if I do go back to uni I should go for the full mont and go to a really good one up North where I can experiene a totally different atmosphere copared to being in London and still being at home.