Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Civilised countries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just been listening to BBC News 24, and some American official, live from New York, was being interviewed. apologies as I didn't catch his name.

They were talking about Syria, Israel and terrorists. This official comments that "anything that brings Syria up to date with western, civilized countries is a good thing"

I'm sorry, are only "western" countries "civilized?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Civilised countries
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo

Yes.

Next question.
  • Options
    Live? Look what happened to Gilligan. You can't pay too much attention to the exact phrasing of live interviews.

But then again, civilised may be an appropriate term for his frame of reference.
  • Options
    in civilised countries there are cameras watching your every move ...robots recording what you spend your money on ...you can't do this that and the other ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Cameras force you to be civilised, therefore they are a measure of anti-civilised behaviour. The more cameras, the more we know how un-civilised we are becoming - Surely we wouldn't need them if we were?
    good point J!
  • Options
    Re: Civilised countries
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo

What's 'civilised' mean?
  • Options
    Like the dictionary said!

A nation or group that is superior technologically and socially.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Civilised countries
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Yes.

Next question.

Rubbish.
  • Options
    To me one essential requirement to qualify as a civilised nation is to have abolished the death penalty.

As far as I'm concerned the American official was ill suited to say what he said considering his nation is one of the world's most prolific State murderers in the world, and moreover the only one proud to admit to execute minors and those who committed their crimes when they were children.

How can some government person from a nation that is up there with China and Saudi Arabia in the execution league of shame believe he can tell other nations what constitutes 'civilised' is well beyond me...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    To me one essential requirement to qualify as a civilised nation is to have abolished the death penalty.

Definitely.

The US isn't civilised.

But using that definition, then yes, only Western copuntries are civilised. Not all Western countries are civilised, but all civilised countries are Western.

Syria is not civilised. Nor, for that matter, is Israel. But Syria is backward, as is most of the Muslim world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I have to say I'm on some levels not totally convinced. But the circumstances could be difficult to grasp. I almost support it when the person in question feels that the only punishment suitable is their own death, but not that they're commiting suicide.

But no, the US system isn't civilised.
  • Options
    Yes.

Next question.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Rubbish.
    A rare case I think Blagsta is right.
    Really, rubbish.
    Are Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore ‘western‘?
    Were Stalin’s Russia, Hitler’s Germany, Mussolini’s Italy ‘civilised’?
  • Options
    Possibly Kermit was being ironic?

At any rate, I was discussing 'civilisation' the other day, in real life no less, and came tot he conclusion that it was often that when people didn't understand they assumed that the way of life in question was uncivilised.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    A rare case I think Blagsta is right.
    Really, rubbish.
    Are Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore ‘western‘?
    Were Stalin’s Russia, Hitler’s Germany, Mussolini’s Italy ‘civilised’?

To the first question, yes they are classed as "western" societies. They have well developed industrial and technological capacity, good transport infrastrucuture and public services.
    The general population are well educated and recieve resonable healthcare.

Second:
    Russia:No
    Germany:Yes
    Italy:Yes

Russia was technologically and socially backwards. Most of the technology they had was copied or reverse engineered. The people were overwhelmingly poor, state education was non-existent thanks to the purges of the early 20th century, and healthcare was abysmal and industry was only developing.

Germany was an industrial powerhouse, with excellent schools and hospitals provided free of charge to it's citizen's. Morally the Nazi party wasn't civilised but the German people were.
    Italy, whilst relatively inferior technologically when compared to Germany or Britain, the people still had good access to schools and health care.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Italy, whilst relatively inferior technologically when compared to Germany or Britain, the people still had good access to schools and health care.

And the trains ran on time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Possibly Kermit was being ironic?

No, just contrary.

Anyway, Japan and Hong Kong are, in my opinion, Westernised, if not actually "Western".
  • Options

Syria is not civilised. Nor, for that matter, is Israel. But Syria is backward, as is most of the Muslim world.

Say what you want but Israel is definitely more civilized than Syria, and in many aspects more civilized than Denmark.
  • Options

Russia was technologically and socially backwards. Most of the technology they had was copied or reverse engineered. The people were overwhelmingly poor, state education was non-existent thanks to the purges of the early 20th century, and healthcare was abysmal and industry was only developing.

russia ...first to orbit the planet ...first to put an animal in orbit ...first to put a man in space ...first space station.
    first working nuclear power plant ...advanced medicines and surgical techniques.
    all with good welding and nuts and bolts of course.
    instead of spending millions trying to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity ...they used a pencil!
    all this took higher education ...advanced metalurgy and plastics technology ...design etc etc.
    the space shuttle ...copied by the yanks from the russian one that unfortunately never took off as far as we know becuase of known safety fears which the yanks ignored.
    their political system may well have been dreadful ...but the ruskies cannot be accused of having a primitive society.
  • Options
    Actually, they tried a biro and it worked.

The point with the USSR is they managed all of this stuff with reverse engineering, stolen plans and, most importantly, at the expense of the welfare of the nation at large. They would have collapsed in on themselves had they continued at the same rate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    russia ...first to orbit the planet ...first to put an animal in orbit ...first to put a man in space ...first space station.
    first working nuclear power plant ...advanced medicines and surgical techniques.
    all with good welding and nuts and bolts of course.
    instead of spending millions trying to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity ...they used a pencil!
    all this took higher education ...advanced metalurgy and plastics technology ...design etc etc.
    the space shuttle ...copied by the yanks from the russian one that unfortunately never took off as far as we know becuase of known safety fears which the yanks ignored.
    their political system may well have been dreadful ...but the ruskies cannot be accused of having a primitive society.

I do accept this, however to be pedantic Labrat was quoting Stalins Russia.
    As well as this, all these advances were at the expense of the welfar of the masses.
    The USA, Europe and China managed all these things without sacrificing quality of life for the populations.
    Russia and the USA both copied their rocket designs from captured German V1 missiles.
  • Options
    I do accept this, however to be pedantic Labrat was quoting Stalins Russia.
    As well as this, all these advances were at the expense of the welfar of the masses.
    The USA, Europe and China managed all these things without sacrificing quality of life for the populations.
    Russia and the USA both copied their rocket designs from captured German V1 missiles.
    agreed WW ...shit political regeiem to have to live under.
  • Options
    Like the dictionary said!

A nation or group that is superior technologically and socially.

Well Japan must be more civilised than us then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

Depends on your perspective, the punishment for rape there is 2 years.
  • Options
    They have the death penalty in Japan.......
  • Options
    That definition seems dodgy to me, someone mentioned morality, I would say that is important though maybe that would come under a wider 'social' category...

As for technology, all nations have access to the same technology it is just a question of wealth.

Is Britian less civilised than the US because we choose to ban GM crops?

Is Ireland less civilised because they do not employ the technology for abortions? Many Irish would say they were more civilised by making this their policy.

It is all a matter of perspective and comparison really, there are few absolutes.
  • Options
    We don't even have the death penalty for High Treason anymore, that's really unfair.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

A country where the collective hobbies are scat and bukkake? I doubt it.:lol:
  • Options

Second:
    You are wrong. Before-revolution Russia weren’t a backward country. An average industrial worker’s wage before WWI was the second highest in the Europe ( after UK but higher than in Germany and France!). Russia made great projects like trans- Siberian railroad that was designed by exclusively Russian engineers. Pre-WWI Russia were like a ’tiger’ of early 20th cen. Like South Korea now but much bigger…
  • Options
    Morrocan I’ve almost lost all my respect for you ( I had lots!!!)
    Don’t you know about the PRICE of those ‘great achievements’? Every gram of Sputnik’s weight was equal to several TONS of human meat lost in camps. Who did really steal whose works? … and what the hell you know about Russian educational system?! NOTHING!
    Although you have a chance to excuse….
    PS About losing respect... just kiddding. You do know this, right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    You are wrong. Before-revolution Russia weren’t a backward country. An average industrial worker’s wage before WWI was the second highest in the Europe ( after UK but higher than in Germany and France!). Russia made great projects like trans- Siberian railroad that was designed by exclusively Russian engineers. Pre-WWI Russia were like a ’tiger’ of early 20th cen. Like South Korea now but much bigger…

Russia and industry aren't words that go together before the 1900's.
    Most of Russia's economy was a backwards agrarian one. The only advantage Russia had during the first and second world war were an abundance of manpower, nothing else.
    Most academics, teachers and other clever people were disposed of during the revolution delaying Russia's advancement by decades.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg

It is all a matter of perspective and comparison really, there are few absolutes.

This is the sentence that sums up the debate.

Just because one society isn't seen as civilised from our persepective doesn't invalid it. The world is a big place and one man's view of civilisation and morality can be very different to that of another man's.