Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Disabled Access

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On a related topic, I remember when I was working in BT, there was a lot of aggravation over the Pelican project, because someone realised that to produce the same amount of information as the regular bills on a Braille bill would cost a lot more than previously intended, because it would need to be printed one-sided on many more sheets of paper. Then it was decided to only produce a VAT receipt with a home bill if one was asked for... It saved a lot of money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

you are disabled ...meaning you cannot do what able bodied people do ...you cannot acsess all the areas able bodied people can ... it's called the reality of being disabled for fucks sake.

You are disabled in most cases through no fault of your own so lets at least make life more bearable for disabled people. If they need to access a town centre then MAKE it accesible in all parts of the main shopping area.........not too much to ask is it ?

Social services, oh yes they help...............dont they ? Do they shit, they are there to support/help and give advice to the disabled and do they do it ? Oh yes they speak words just to make you feel better but do they actually help ?

Councils the ones that take all our money, do they help ? Oh yes they are other ones you can phone and ask for help.......they listen, they make you think they will help you........but do they ? Another waste of space.......they dont care, all they care about is fobbing you off.

I dont expect the little businesses forking out for adaptations because Im not that stupid and I know many would go bankrupt if they were faced with the cost of making their premises diasbled friendly. What I do expect is large companies, councils, town centres making sure that their premises are suitable for everyone........that includes the disabled people.

On another note i do think that many people now make out they cant walk. You see millions of scooters on the streets, they tear arse along, stop the scooter then quite effortlessy get up and walk into the shop......no problem. I know personally 2 people who abuse these scooters and its these people who give disabled a bad name......the genuine disable people get a raw deal here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    I don't think any shop is OBLIGATED to provide customer toilets, only staff toilets for over a certain number of employees.

Cafes are arent they ? depending on size...i think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Cafes are arent they ? depending on size...i think.

I couldn't say, although I think that retail institutions are not obligated to provide customer toilets if the goods are sold for consumption off the premises. I think that cafes, restaurants etc are required to provide appropriate toilets because the customer remains on the premises to consume the goods they have purchased.
  • Options
    We have full disabled access where I work, but it's easy to see where you guys are coming from.

They should invent flying wheelchairs :yes:
  • Options
    On another note i do think that many people now make out they cant walk. You see millions of scooters on the streets, they tear arse along, stop the scooter then quite effortlessy get up and walk into the shop......no problem. I know personally 2 people who abuse these scooters and its these people who give disabled a bad name......the genuine disable people get a raw deal here.

I'd be careful there, Becky.

GWST's sister has a heart defect, so she can walk short distances but any distance makes her tire very very quickly. When we go shopping or to a theme park she needs her chair, but she can climb out of it to get a closer look at things if she wants- at Beamish she got some right funny looks for it, and if she hadn't been a kid she'd have probably been abused for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I'd be careful there, Becky.

As I said, I know personally people who abuse it. Like the woman who cant walk because her back is that bad, she is almost bed ridden.............until her Grandchildren come and she chases them down the street. Yet when she goes to the shop she uses her electric chair every time.
    The other one is a friends mother, shes playing on it and shes told me that herself.
    I realise many people have illnesses that cannot be detected from an outsider, but I am talking people who play up with bad backs etc. There are many people that look as though there is nothing wrong with them IE.........like Ellies sister, these arent the ones im talking about.

I know that many people are legit and they need assistance, but like i said its them other ones that give the genuine ones a bad name.

Take the disabled badge scheme, there are many that also abuse that. They are only supposed to use that if the peron whose badge it is are actually in the car. Again I have seen the well person use the badge so again its these people who give the rest a bad name.
  • Options
    You are disabled in most cases through no fault of your own so lets at least make life more bearable for disabled people. If they need to access a town centre then MAKE it accesible in all parts of the main shopping area.........not too much to ask is it ?

i agree 100%.
    at the moment we have a growing number of young soldiers coming back from iraq with bits missing or no longer working ...
    they have very serious life changing events to adapt to.
    we should do all we can to make as many places as possible acsessable but ...there is a limit to what can sensibly be done.
    little things ...if the council know a property is occupied by a disabled person ...then they should fully asess wat that persons difficulties are ...if it means lowering a kerb ...building a parking bay ...widening a few dooras and a gateway ...then it should be done.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I really wish you'd answer my question

sorry ...it does indeed have a train going to the top but ...you won't get a wheelchair on it.
    but ...i haven't seen the the train for a few years so you never know.
  • Options
    I really wish you'd answer my question

Becky boo:
    Anywhere that serves food (to be eaten in) has to provide toileting facilities.. or thats what I've been led to believe anyhoo

It was Seasons on Church Street. They used to make really yummy ham and cheese toasties I could just about get between lectures. I sent you a PM. Or so I thought.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ginner
    It was Seasons on Church Street. They used to make really yummy ham and cheese toasties I could just about get between lectures. I sent you a PM. Or so I thought.
    sorry ...it does indeed have a train going to the top but ...you won't get a wheelchair on it.

I read that in your reply about 3 up :D

Is this like online deja vu?
  • Options

All it takes to create a disabled toilet is to make the door a few inches wider and put a handle up.

Seasons isn't that small a building.
  • Options
    I read that in your reply about 3 up :D

Is this like online deja vu?
    i know i know ...i'm absolutely nackered.
  • Options
    All it takes to create a disabled toilet is to make the door a few inches wider and put a handle up.

Seasons isn't that small a building.

There aren't many smaller. I was told the costs were too much.
  • Options
    Thankyou :)

and I didn't get your pm

where's church street? :p (was that the one that did the picture framing too ? )

Church street goes from the Durham Student Union to the Science site and yes, it is the one that did framing.
  • Options
    There aren't many smaller. I was told the costs were too much.

If they cant afford to comply, they shouldn't be in business.

Simple. As.
  • Options
    If they cant afford to comply, they shouldn't be in business.

Simple. As.
    wrong!
    disabled people mostly know that they will be barred from certain activities and places in life.
    the disabled people i know ...want more done ...but none of them are extremists ...who would wish to see a butchers shop closed down or an antique business cos it wasn't physicaly or financialy viable to change.
  • Options
    I know, I'm just being contrary;)
  • Options
    I know, I'm just being contrary;)
    i know ...your just being a cnut ...
  • Options
    i know ...your just being a cnut ...

yeah, well, monocrat's been banned again so someone needs to be:p
  • Options
    yeah, well, monocrat's been banned again so someone needs to be:p
    your to warm and cuddly to be in his league.
  • Options
    your to warm and cuddly to be in his league.

A poor substitute, I know:(

I'm too sane to be in his league. And given my sanity levels, that is actually quite scary.

I wouldn't want to meet monocrat in the street, 'tis all I'm saying.
  • Options
    It's all change from today and we still haven't got most of the things we were promised at work...