Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

interview for nursing diploma

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ive got my interview for my nursing diploma course at APU chelmsford next week. Has anyone got any tips or suggestions. Is it likely to be anything like a job interview or are college interviews a lot different. What sort of thing will make them love me? Im absolutely desperate to get on this course.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh please someone give me some tips.
    make sure you know what you need to know, read up on the course, read a couple of medical journals, recent ones, know what's going on currently.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    read a couple of medical journals, recent ones, know what's going on currently.
    Good thinking, Ive just gone and subscribed to Nursing times now, I`ll make sure I subtly tell them, They should like that :)
    well the interview is tommorow and Im well nervous :nervous:
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    well the interview is tommorow and Im well nervous :nervous:

good luck chick :thumb:
    Didn't see this until now, and you might not get back online before tomorrow, but may as well tell you what (little) I know anyway ;) I've just started the second year of my Nursing degree, so it's pretty fresh in my mind, and I know that they often interview degree/diploma students together, and even if they don't I doubt there would be much different in the questioning/what they're looking for etc.

Anyway, my interview day (or couple of hours, as it turned out) started off with a general talk, campus tour and then opportunity to ask any general questions about the University etc. After that the group (there were 30 of us there for interview) was divided into five and in turn we went into the interview room. In there we had a debate (in the loosest sense of the word) about current health issues; basically they asked us what we had read/heard about in the media, and what we thought were the biggest issues in healthcare at the time. It was very relaxed and basically you just gave whatever input you saw fit, I commented about bed shortages, the idea of Foundation Hospitals and the problem of nurses being trained up by the NHS and then leaving to work abroad (which was a very hot topic at the time). This probably isn't done at all inteviews, but they were really just trying to see that we had some concept of both issues in healthcare, and issues involved in nursing (and issues that were further reaching)...it was also probably an assessment of how confident you were in voicing opinions and participating in a team - although that obviously wasn't judged harshly, as some girls who spoke very little are in my cohort, and very good students. I would recommend having a quick look at the Nursing Standard website (which is my prefence in terms of journals, as Fiend_85 suggested), the Society section of The Guardian is also a good source for healthcare-related stories and opinions, although I'm sure most other Newspapers cover it just as well. Don't worry too much about this though, as it may not even happen in your interview. It's a good idea to have a basic knowledge though, even if it's just for your own peace of mind :)

As for the individual interview, which was what followed for me - they went through my application with me, the qualifications, skills and experience I had as well as asking me general questions. I can recall being asked what I thought the challenges of Nursing would be, as well as being asked how I would deal with situations that weren't ideal, difficult patients etc. They also asked me what I thought I would enjoy about the course and the employment that would follow, why I essentially wanted to become a Nurse, if I had any existing plans or ideas for when I was qualified. To that I told them that I was interested in both Midwifery and the Community-based side of Nursing, although having no direct experience in either, I was looking to the course and placements to provide inspiration as to my career (and further training) choices. They asked me about my work experience, how I felt it had prepared me for the course and the challenges, and I told them that while I felt it had given me a good basis in Personal Care and Patient Interaction, I knew I had a lot to learn (hopefully) from their course - which they liked! As for the challenges and disadvantages of the course and the job, I told them that I was aware of the disadvantages compared to other students, the reduced holiday time, the responsibility of placements and time management, but that I also felt happy with this added responsibility, as it would give me a headstart in the world of work. I also told them that I was aware of the reality of Nursing, as a lot of people (bizarrely) do go into Nursing expecting an easy ride, and for reasons unknown - a certain amount of "glamour". I just made sure they knew I understood the hard work that would be involved, and that I embraced it.

Honestly, the interviews are not as scary as they seem! I was petrified before I went for mine, and the interviewers (who are now my lovely lecturers and tutors) were very encouraging and friendly. If you can't answer a question, don't panic, give yourself time to think and if you're really stumped then ask them to elaborate on it - which should hopefully give you a lead into answering. Smile, be friendly and confident (I know, easier said than done) and try and convey to them that you're sure of your capabilities and the fact that this is the course for you, without sounding like a know-it-all. When it's over and done, I'm sure you'll wonder what you were fretting about...but in the meantime, good luck with it!! If you do need anymore advice then you can PM me, let us know how it goes :)
    Thanks Briggi for that fantastic advice, it was just what im after.
    I agree with you about nursing standard, ive bought that too, and i do rather prefer its style to NT. If my interview is like yours then it sounds quite fun in a way. I just so hope they like me.
    Im probably going to relate more to nirsing through my parenting rather than my work experience (I work in a bingo club).
    Ill take on board what youve said, and just hope I remember it tommorow!
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Im probably going to relate more to nirsing through my parenting rather than my work experience (I work in a bingo club).
    Ill take on board what youve said, and just hope I remember it tommorow!

You're welcome for the advice, I'm not sure how useful it'll actually turn out to be (since the interviews seem to vary a lot from one University to another), but I know it's the kind of stuff I'd have wanted to know when I had my interview if I'd have had anyone to ask - just eases your mind a bit, and makes you feel like you'll be more prepared than other people, ha ha! ;)

Anyhoo, relating Nursing (and caring in general) it to parenting is probably the best "experience" you can offer, not only does it mean you've got that all important life experience (and dirty nappy experience, of course) but you can relate that back to time management and a whole load of other things they love to hear. Anyway, I won't load anymore of my "pearls of wisdom" on you, you'll be absolutely fine!

Good luck again :D
    Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.
    This thread if from 2004 so I'm closing it now :)
This discussion has been closed.