Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Work managers being wanks...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, got a few problems at work just now. We have to do availability forms every month to tell the management what we can work. I put down that I was available all this month, thinking uni started next week. Unfortunately, uni got in touch with me last week saying that everything kicked off this week and that I had a whole bunch of stuff to go to. Fair enough. I tell work that I have uni stuff this week, and that I can start at 1pm every day. Not happy about it, but allow it. So, Monday rolls round and I go to uni. Unfortunately, the meetings etc run over and I can't get down to work till 2:30pm. Boss not happy, try to explain, my area is closed anyway (and they never phoned me) so sit around, miss some lectures and do nowt until 6pm. Got in yesterday at 1pm, area STILL closed, not told about it and again, do nothing till 6pm. Now, today, had uni 9 - 11am, meeting with my adviser for my matric forms and there is a big problem. She doesn't have any record of me being offered a place on the post-grad course, no acceptance letter, nothng. Matriculation is tomorrow so this has to be sorted out today. Time is about 12:15pm and by the time I chase up all the relevant paper work it's 12:45pm. Phoned work at 12:30pm and told them I would be late. No manager available so call centre person says she will pass it on to them. Get the tube and get to work for about 1:30. Manager phones me just before 1:30pm but my phone is on silent (uni habit) and I check it just before I go in. She asks me to phone her back but there was no point as I was almost in anyway. Get in to the office, area is closed AGAIN, and was basically told that this is the second time this week, despite me phoning and explaining about what happened at uni, and that I should just go home. DOn't know if this will lead to another disciplinary or not , but do you think this is shit or what? Fair enough I was late, but there was nothing I could do and I would do it again if I had to. I've already had a disciplinary for time-keeping about 4 months ago, and I am tempted to tell them to shove it if they threaten me with another one cause I don't need the stress of it. What can I do? Speak to HR or the manager above them? Help!

P.s Sorry for the length of this...