Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teacher References

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Would anyone here by any chance have a copy of theirs, which they could show me? Or a link to a website which shows them?

I need my teachers to write a reference for me, but they're most probably unfamiliar with the way and style they should be written and what should be included. Therefore I wanted to show them an example.

Many thanks :)

Btw, is there a spedicif number of references needed, or is it just as many as one can gather?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Have you asked UCAS?
  • Options
    Their guide merely has bullet points of what to state. Not an actual example.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Their guide merely has bullet points of what to state. Not an actual example.

UCAS are as useless as ever then.

Basically I wouldn't have thought it would be all that different to how it is in Denmark. The teacher reference is similar in style to your personal statement, or at least it was when I applied. That was four years ago now though...
  • Options
    At my school we have a piece of paper that we fill in one side and every one of our teachers fills in the others. I think you must have at least one for each subject. I haven't got the sheets on me, but i'll pick one up tomro and report back :) You decided on your 6?
  • Options
    Thanks! Appericiate it dearly!
    A reference for each subject would be a bit too much, as I currently have 8 subjects :p

So far I have decided not to apply to Cambridge, being that it is too much stress for me when it has to be in, in 2½ weeks from now. Can't make it with the language test, as I get it 2 days before.

But I am definitely going to apply to LSE and Warwick.
    Maybe Exeter, Sheffield, Manchester or Nottingham.
    And most probably to Edinburgh or Glasgow.
  • Options
    From what I remember it should have...

how long they've known you and in what capacity they know you.
    the subjects that they taught you and your grades.
    your proficiency compared to other students.
    and your strengths and weaknesses.

I can't remember what else they had on them if anything...hope that helps in some way
  • Options
    Ok I finally picked up a sheet! On one side it says
    "UCAS Departmental Reference Sheet. This side to be filled in by student"

Then we have to put our name, form and which department this is a reference sheet for.
    Then our proposed course at University and the grades required.
    Then Titles of last years modules and results gained. Indicating any re-sits you have planned.
    Then it says to write any coursework you've done and your mark gained.
    Then it says visits undertaken in this subject.

And on the otherside it says "to be filled in by teaching staff"
    They put your predicted grades at the top.
    Then there is a table with 6 different skill areas and 3 columns for them to tick if we are outstanding, good or average.
    The skill areas are:
    1. Ability to assimilate new information
    2. Perserverance and determination to succeed
    3. Powers of oral expression
    4. Quality of written expression
    5. Critical Analysis
    6. Time management and ability to meet deadlines

Finally there is a box next to which it says "Attendance/punctuality will be assumed to be acceptable unless this box is ticked."

And finally a "please add any further comments" bit.

We have to had one to each department, and our teachers write them together. Hope this is of some use!
  • Options
    Spoke to the British Counicil guy and he says that one reference is enough. Is that true?

I thought I needed two or three from school (Social Studies, Danish (litterature) and maybe English. And then from outside of school. Apparently not.
    Should I listen to him?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Spoke to the British Counicil guy and he says that one reference is enough. Is that true?

I thought I needed two or three from school (Social Studies, Danish (litterature) and maybe English. And then from outside of school. Apparently not.
    Should I listen to him?

I had references from all my individual subject tutors all in one reference, if that makes sense.

My personal tutor wrote it, and read something like:

Laura joined the college a year ago with GCSE grades blah blah blah. She is a blah blah blah student (general positive stuff) and her subject tutors support her application.

Her English tutor says.. (his reference). She is capable of [grade] in this subject.

Her History teacher.. (her reference, finish). It is likely Laura will achieve [grade] in this subject.

Her Psychology teacher.. (her reference). She is expected to get [grade] in this subject.

Her Sociology teacher.. (his reference).

Then it finished off with a concluding paragraph saying how ace I am, and how I'd be an asset to any higher education programme. Just like she wrote on everyone elses... ;)

So basically it was all in one reference (just over a page of A4), but had various references written into it as well as my predicted grades, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    Yeh mine have been done like lauras^^^
  • Options
    Normally your head of year would write the reference, after discussing it with your subject teachers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Normally your head of year would write the reference, after discussing it with your subject teachers.

Yes, the forms must have changed since I applied because the Head of Sixth Form wrote our references after reading our mid year reports from subject teachers. All our teachers had to do was write down what grades they thought we might get. :)
  • Options
    It seems to depend on whether you are at school or college.

That and I was fuilling my UCAS shit in over four years ago now :o