Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Breathing difficulties

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was on holiday with a friend and their family last week, and for some unknown reason I found that I couldn't inhale properly. I was wheezing, my throat sounded tinny, and however hard I tried I couldn't inhale enough air. It was like my lungs had shrunk to half their size. It lasted overnight, though calmed down slightly. It happened again the second night, and they nearly took me to casualty as it was really bad. And scary!!!

So now I'm home, and I went to the docs today. Apparently I have a reasonably common condition where the muscles in my trachea are prone to spasms, which form a panic attack which makes the spasms worse and so it's a never-ending spiral. So I have to calm down. Does anyone else have this and have any tips on how to calm down when it happens?? And plus as it appears to get worse with exercise, do you think it will be accepted as an excuse to get out of cross-country?!?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well i grew out of asthma as a child which has effected all my brother and sisters but as Ive got older the problems have returned and is effecting my day to day life mainly like u i sufferr bouts of panic attcks I found Yoga helps becos it releaves tension and stuff well im not sure y it helps but it worth a try!!And as i dont go to school anymore i cant help with cross country but a note from doctor warning them about it would help!!
    Thankyou!! I love Yoga so maybe I should get back into it- especially the breathing exercises they do. And as for Cross Country, I've already told my Head of House about it so I'll still do it but if I collapse half-way round I have an excuse (for the first year!).