Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Court witness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been asked as a witness at a tribunal for an old work college. I really don't wanna go but i have to, his solicitor said i should reply to say i won't go willingly but then he will get an order for me to go :(.
It means i have to travel up to Birmingham with James, stay in some strange hotel & get some strange person to look after my baby, i really can't stress how much i hate the thought.
Sounds stupid but i am very panicy and just going somewhere strange is bad enough but then with James on top of that.

I just want to disapear so they cant get hold of me :(.

Comments

• Options
    Explain that if they want you to appear as a witness they have to provide acceptable accomadation based on your situation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Explain that if they want you to appear as a witness they have to provide acceptable accomadation based on your situation.

They won't i have to arrange everything myself & get a hotel, they will pay expenses but thats no good afterwards so i will tell the solicitor. It still fightens the shit outta me havign to go (with James at that).
  • Options
    is there no-one you can leave him with where you are? Or you could give testimony via video link (though that's pushing your luck).

You need to make it really clear that they're putting you in a difficult situation.
  • Options
    is there no-one you can leave him with where you are? Or you could give testimony via video link (though that's pushing your luck).

If you mean leave him with someone where i live, no, its probably gonna be a 2 day trial.
  • Options
    Could not your mister have the time off work to look after James?If he had a nice boss then that might be possible, then you would only have to worry about yourself.
  • Options
    Re: Court witness
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I have been asked as a witness at a tribunal for an old work college. I really don't wanna go but i have to, his solicitor said i should reply to say i won't go willingly but then he will get an order for me to go :(.
    It means i have to travel up to Birmingham with James, stay in some strange hotel & get some strange person to look after my baby, i really can't stress how much i hate the thought.
    Sounds stupid but i am very panicy and just going somewhere strange is bad enough but then with James on top of that.

I just want to disapear so they cant get hold of me :(.

Lawyers make a lots of money, I knew one charging £150 per hour

Why not try to see tihs as a bit of an all expenses paid adventure!!

They'll have to fork out for the travel, hotel and baby sitter and fi you don't have the money to hand why not tell that lawyer to pay outta his own pocket and claim it back
  • Options
    Take the advice, and make them order you there. Make their life as difficult as possible, and just think- it will all come out of your company's expenses if they lose the case.

Ring the Citizen's Advice Bureau up and get some advice about the matter. They have the right to subpoena you, but with such a young child they will probably be very accomodating. You won't have to be there for most of the time.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Court witness

• Options
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    Could not your mister have the time off work to look after James?If he had a nice boss then that might be possible, then you would only have to worry about yourself.
    cant afford the unpaid leave. Its likely to be 2 days.
  • Options
    Tweety, when would all this be happening?

How will you get to Birmingham?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Tweety, when would all this be happening?

How will you get to Birmingham?

27th october. It depends, if i can somehow get someone to look after James i will probably go by train, if not i will probably go by car as i don't fancy lugging James's stuff on a train.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    cant afford the unpaid leave. Its likely to be 2 days.

They'd have to provide lost income because of the trip.
  • Options
    They'd have to provide lost income because of the trip.

only for me they do not him.
  • Options
    Call it expenses then. Your baby sitter charges £x.xx an hour, for 48 hours, job done?

But it should be something you discuss with these legal weasels.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Court witness
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I don't really think it's very fair to say that they make a lot of money when you have no idea how much they actually earn overall.

I know how much this particular one makes (and spends) but don't ask me how!! ;)

And this one only specilises in one area of law, certainly doesn't do any cut price deals or legal aid work!!
  • Options
    Call it expenses then. Your baby sitter charges £x.xx an hour, for 48 hours, job done?

But it should be something you discuss with these legal weasels.

Its not that simple i'm affraid and they would only pay the hours i was in court.

My mum has come to my rescue & has said she will take unpaid leave from work and no arguing. She won't see him go to a stranger either. My mum really is a lifesaver.
    Now all i got to worry about is me & standing in court ect :nervous: Aswell as the rest of the shit thats been thrown at me today. Gah knew things were going to swimmingly.
  • Options
    i sense a ring to the tabloids, sell your story to them or something, or at least trheaten to and they might poo themselves
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i sense a ring to the tabloids, sell your story to them or something, or at least trheaten to and they might poo themselves

I'm not quite sure why you suggest this, I mean its common practice being forced to go to court isnt it? :/
  • Options
    yes but the "turn on sympathy bit" poor child been displaced and you worry for him/her

such a terrible thing for mother and child to be seperated over something like this

its a travesty of something

well i was thinking along the lines of that