Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

No Smoking Nightclub / Bar

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone ever heard of a smoke free bar or club .. god for a non soke it would be nice to go out and come home and not stink of smoke!!!

I had to wash a shirt today not cos it was dirty but cos it stunk of smoke!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sure that's what happens everytime you go out, everyones clothes stink of smoke, so what. I don't know how the pubswould be up here if you werent allowed to smoke in them, tonight up at a place on the border we had to walk outside down into a little room to have a smoke, a load of shit. At the end of the night i came walking down and seen the smokers room door was closed so i just stood back and lit it up inside, with the bouncer standing right beside me, he goes what the fuck,put that cigarette out!he was going mad, i wasn't sober of course and didn't realise i'd lit the cig up..i've never seen someone go so mad over a feg in my life.
  • Options
    Being a smoker yourself I'd expect you to say so what!!

If I was a smoker I'd say the same as you. But it's not only the smell, I know lots of people that feel like throwing up in really smokey venues, who's eyes start watering and itching espacially if they have contact lenses, and who are also forced to breath in toxic cancer causing fumes against their will (in order to have a night out).

If clubs had better ventilation systems or designated non smoking areas it would at least be a lot fairer for non smokers.

I've also had a few really nice shirts ruined by careless smokers on the dance floor with a drink in one hand and a ciggie in the other, as well as being burnt on the back of my hand.
  • Options
    yeh but clubs are made for smoke
  • Options
    I'm not a smoker, but started working in a nightclub. Sure does make a difference to what you can only put up with when you're sober. Don't know how many times I had to go to the store for a drink, as I sooo dehydrated with the heat and the smoke.

Though the one thing that pisses me off is the little bitches holding a ciggy in her hand as she waving it all over the place as she is trying to dance. Nearly burnt me a few times. :mad:
  • Options
    I think there'd be a lot of call for a non smoking bar or club, it's getting better. Some pubs are non-smoking, my local real ale place is, or it mostly is.

72% of all people don't smoke, it's a big market.
  • Options
    Obviously living in Northern Ireland the ban hasn't been introduced yet but I've been out down in Dublin since it was introduced in the South. I've got to say, as a non-smoker I was excited about the idea. However, because there is no smoking the clubs smell of BO as this smell is not 'disguised' as it would be when people are smoking. It isnt really too pleasant. But I can see many of the clubs and bars spending good money on extensive air conditioning to counter this problem. Once thats in place I look foward to smoke free clubbin' and drinkin'. That is of course when the ban is introduced in the UK, which it will be.
  • Options
  • Options
    I've signed a petition to stop the ban which is posted up in my local.

It should, imo, be down to the landlords/club owners to implement this ban if they want to. I suppose they have that freedom now to make it non-smoking so why haven't they?? I believe it would lose a pub business, especially my local where the landlord and bar staff and most of the regulars all smoke. Then maybe if some did implement the ban you should have a choice of either smoking or non-smoking pubs and everyone would be happy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    I've signed a petition to stop the ban which is posted up in my local.

It should, imo, be down to the landlords/club owners to implement this ban if they want to. I suppose they have that freedom now to make it non-smoking so why haven't they?? I believe it would lose a pub business, especially my local where the landlord and bar staff and most of the regulars all smoke. Then maybe if some did implement the ban you should have a choice of either smoking or non-smoking pubs and everyone would be happy.

Very difficult to implement a choice. It has to be all or nothing. A landlord would be reluctant to implement a ban as he would be cutting out a potential customer group who will go elsewhere. Better to be a smoking bar and allow everyone in rather than a non smoking only letting non-smokers in. The ban would have to include everywhere. I know many bars in R.O.I. where the landlord himself smokes and the regulars also but the ban has to be obseved as the consequences can be very harsh.
  • Options
    Yeah there's a bar in Chester that used to be a decent rock based bar where we'd have sound DJs and drink beer and have competitions...

Now it's a poncey no smoking bar where middle aged affluent women come to drink coffee.

But as for other non smoking bars... I really gotta quit, so that info would come in handy for me too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    It should, imo, be down to the landlords/club owners to implement this ban if they want to.

I seriously doubt if they had the choice any bar or club would ban smoking cos of lost income ... bt then again they don't have to if they managed to come up with a good ventilation system.

I really like outdoor clubs when on holiday and of course there if people smoke it all just blows away with the wind so I don't really mind .. but here indoor it just hovers forever and I can tell it's being absorbed into my body, cos when I go home even my socks smell of smoke and I can't imagine the smoke readily get through my trousers and shoes, unless it's being absorbed by me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    :yes:

I'm very sensitive to smoke. We had to cut a night short last week because I was sneezing constantly and my eyes were streaming so much. As soon as I got outside I was fine again.

If there was a non smoking bar around, then I'd go in all the time, even if it was quite expensive. It would be so nice not to feel ill and ming at the end of the night.

If I come home from a smokey place and go straight to bed the next day I feel like a sort of hangover effect even if I've not drunk anything, but I noticed onthe days I managed to get into the shower first before going to bed and wash out all the smoke formmy hair and skin I feel fine the next day ...
  • Options
    Theres a non smoking club in Colchester but i havent been in there yet. Its been open a while though, I might ask them how theyre doing actually. Maybe I should support it a bit more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I seriously doubt if they had the choice any bar or club would ban smoking cos of lost income

Leeds Students' Union tried a smoking ban, and they lost £15,000 in a month.

Pubs should have separate smoking and non-smoking rooms. I've said it a million times before, in ye olden days there wasn't the issue- you smoked in the tap room, you didn't in the lounge. But in the days of open-plan pubs there isn't this choice.

As for clubs, it's harder to implement, but smoking should be banend in them. Fire hazard :razz: