Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Speakers for a laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Instead of carting my cd player and all my cd's to uni with me next week I have stolen the idea of using my laptop to play music. (I copied all of my cd's onto it) The thing is I am now looking on the internet to see what the price of speakers to plug into my laptop would be. However I have checked a few websites (Dixons, Argos, PC World) and I am not having much luck finding anything. It's just a rough guide so I know what i would have to spend but could anyone point in in the right direction? The speakers preferably have to plug into the USB ports, if that is possible.

Comments

• Options
    huh??

You wanna walk around using with a laptop and speakers?

What the hell for ?

Are you a DJ or soemthing? Do you mean speakers or headphones?
  • Options
    sorry if its not what you want but i bought these [standard audio jackplug 3.5mm connection]

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews13486.html

and they are damned fine, need a power cable though, up to slightly untolerable levels they out do a cheapy dixons hifi rather easily

yeh so what if they are packard bell, i picked a set up for £20, bloody good
  • Options
    There was a whole load of USB speakers around about a year ago. The idea being that you'd use the USB port to send the audio feed (ie sound) to the speakers. However, all I can seem to find now are very small USB powered speakers (that still use the 3.5mm jack socket for the audio feed). They'd be great if you had a USB hub to hook everything up in your Uni room in one easy go.
    So it looks like you're just going to have to buy a regular set of PC speakers. The good news is that they can be surprisingly cheap. ebuyer, dabs, and a local company to myself - nemax.co.uk all have a good inexpensive range. Look for at least an 800+ PMPO (peak music power) set of speakers with a bass box for a good sound.
  • Options
    I have ended up just buying some logitech ones they just plug into the headphones hole too. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Never read the PMPO rating. RMS is the power you want to rate the speakers by.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Never read the PMPO rating. RMS is the power you want to rate the speakers by.
    Which is certainly the best yardstick to follow, except that most speaker manufaturers don't put the RMS power on there, and only put the PMPO rating on due to wanting to make their speakers seem powerful.
    If anybody thinks that's a sneaky trick, check the size of your hard drive? Not as big as you thought it was according to the manufacturer, eh? :no:
  • Options
    it is as big as they say it is, the thing is to make it usable you need it formated and with a MFT, master file table
  • Options
    It's not just the space the table takes up, but the way they describe a gigabyte. To make it easy they just round it up to 1,000,000 bytes, which is less than the real number of bytes in a megabyte, so the drive isn't as big as people expect.
    Anyway, it's just another way manufacturers like you to think you're getting more, as with quoting PMPO with speakers.