Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Working In Camden...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm about to start my degree at the London Met, and have been seriously considering getting/trying for a part time job in Camden which is literally 10 minutes away from uni.

I was on the bus in hackney today, when this old lady next to me was like 'ooh no, you don't wanna work at camden, it's scary - lot's of drug dealers - very scary, dangerous'

I'm now *slightly* put off by this old biddy..

Is Camden really that dangerous to work in dya think?

Ilora x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nah, it's got a bad rep., but it's no worse than most parts of London as far as I can tell! King's Cross, for example, is hardly somewhere I'd be thrilled to be alone after dark!
    Yeah i agree, Camden isn't that bad really - I used to work in Kings Cross while at Uni (no not doing that...!) and that was pretty grim when it got a bit darker.
    There *are* a lot of drug dealers and dodgy types in Camden, but I doubt you'd get harassed by anyone if you were working there - the majority of people are just tourists or people who have travelled there specifically to go shopping. Generally travelling to and from work as long as you watch out for yourself, tell people what time to expect you back, carry a phone etc. you should be okay, generally I find that if you keep yourself to yourself no one will even notice you, and the weirdos you encounter often only want a bit of friendly conversation.

As has already been said I would think working in Camden is the same as working in any part of London, as long as your are sensible about things and remain saftey conscious you should be fine.
    Camden is a bit suzzzy yet loads of people seem to think its really cool. There are loads of places to find work in london so I wouldn't just limit yourself to Camden. Islington is nice and has lots of shops and restaurants - but I guess it depends on what sort of work your looking for.
    nope, is the short answer. London has a lot of dodgy areas, camden has a high police presence and good transport links. If you use the same common sense as you would in any town or city whatever time of day you are working, you should be okay.

Just remember to keep valuables tucked away and try not to walk about by yourself after dark. My ex worked in camden, and I never had any trouble meeting him after TheSite hours there. But I do have masses of common sense and knowledge on personal safety :P

If you are working late and don't live a zillion miles away you may well find you can persuade your boss to cough up for a cab to share with co-workers at the end of a shift.

Good luck finding some work... don't limit yourself to camden either, you'll find there are other pockets of london that fit your 'scene' too, and maybe closer to your accomodation/ more to your liking etc.

Susie :)
    You might get asked if you want to buy some puff or rocks, but in terms of actual danger, no, its relatively low down the list of London places.

Having said that though I think there are very few places which are 'dangerous' in London at all.