Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What should you be called?

DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
Here is today's teaser from thesite.org...

As you know, the media loves to categorise you lot as one homogonous grouping, based on your age. Sometimes you are referred to as "Young People", other times it's "Young Adults" while sometimes it's just plain "Youth".

So my question is this: if there has to be label to summarise people who are sorta between the ages of 15-16 and 24-25, what would you prefer it to be?

Do you like any of the ones listed above? If not, why not? Are there better alternatives?

Personally I'd like to refer to you all simply as "Them", but apparently I'm in a minority.

Thanks for your help.

Dom

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Old obviously :(
  • Options
    Hooligans ? Wankers ? Tossers ? or how about just call em young people cos thats what I do :D
  • Options
    skip-rats.
  • Options
    Re: What should you be called?
    Originally posted by Dom
    Here is today's teaser from thesite.org...

As you know, the media loves to categorise you lot as one homogonous grouping, based on your age. Sometimes you are referred to as "Young People", other times it's "Young Adults" while sometimes it's just plain "Youth".

So my question is this: if there has to be label to summarise people who are sorta between the ages of 15-16 and 24-25, what would you prefer it to be?

Do you like any of the ones listed above? If not, why not? Are there better alternatives?

Personally I'd like to refer to you all simply as "Them", but apparently I'm in a minority.

Thanks for your help.

Dom

15-16: Teenagers. :p

24-25: Young adults.

But there again I'm 19 and would class myself as a young adult (sometimes :razz: ).
  • Options
    DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    Sorry, should have explained clearly: I'm interested in one phrase for the whole age span, so from 16-25 say.

And this isn't just some useless exercise to waste everybody's time. As publishers of TheSite.org we have to talk about <insert correct phrase> all the time - but are never sure what is the best approach.

Thanks again,

Dom
  • Options
    What am I at 27 ?

An adult?

*shudders*
  • Options
    'teens and twentysomethings'

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crazyredeyes
    What am I at 27 ?

An adult?

*shudders*

Heck, you're practically middle aged. ;)
  • Options
    jaysus :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crazyredeyes
    jaysus :eek:

I was joking. :)

You're an adult though, yes.

Time to face it mate. :p
  • Options
    :lol:

I prefer young man
  • Options
    I think young people says it all really.

Edited to say i don't think at 15/16 you are an adult.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    'teens and twentysomethings'

:yes:

hehe that's great :D

I'm nearly 15 and I hate to be referred to as a child. I prefer young adult though i accept that an older person wouldn't see me as an adult. "Young person" makes me think that you're not sure whether I'm female or male, yet "young lady" sounds like I'm being told off. You can't win :p
  • Options
    Wipper-snappers.
  • Options
    I'm 21 and someone said I was a 'lovely woman' yesterday. He then quickly said 'I mean girl', then 'woman... ah shit I never know what females prefer to be called!'. My best mate, who is 26 still calls herself a girl.

I really like being referred to as 'lady'. At work people will say 'ask the lady' whereas the people I work with still refer to me as 'the girl' because they're all old and passed it, hehe!
  • Options
    I like the ole Whipper-snapper phase but i think that we should be called something thats not as patronising as "young people" (really just means child, its just a nicer way of putting it) or "young adults" (which doesnt really make sense if you think about it your either an adult or your young in which case your a child) i think a new word should be used however i have absolutely no idea what, just thought i'd put my opinon on these words in

sorry i cant help Dom!

Tigerlilly:wave:
  • Options
    I'm 19 and prefer being referred to as a girl or young person. Lady and Woman, makes me feel old.

15-19... teenagers
    20-24... young people
    25+... adults
  • Options
    I'm 14 and I'm not particularly bothered what I'm called.. Well aslong as It's not abusive..
    I'd say 15-25..? well you can't really put these all in one group.. It's quite a big difference.. especially in girls as they change completely between these two groups. Men stay the same age after they hit 12.. but i wont go into that.. :p
    13-19 is teenagers..
    19- about 25? is young adult
    25+ Adult

I suppose if you wanted to categorise 15-25 in the same group you'd have to call them.. late-teens+
    Can't think of any other way to put it... :confused:
    Anyways.. Hope to speak to you later down a forum..
    Holz xXx
  • Options
    A fellow I work with, refers to anyone under the age of 25 as winkle, nobby or hurbert.
    an example: "Winkle, pass me that spanner".
    its highly amusing and slightly offensive at the same time.
    I'd assume a group of 16 to 25year olds would be refered to as a group of winkles.
    While we're on the subject of groups, did you know a group of tigers is called an ambush?!
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    hmm, i'm not sure you can have a collective word to describe 15/16-24/25 year olds. not sure if calling someone who's 16 a young adult is quite right. n calling a 25 year old an old teen is just not proper :eek2: think young person is the best mentioned so far, the railcard peeps use it i think :yes:
  • Options
    the next generation?
  • Options
    Re: Re: What should you be called?
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    15-16: Teenagers. :p

24-25: Young adults.

But there again I'm 19 and would class myself as a young adult (sometimes :razz: ).

For some reason I thought you were 16. :/
  • Options
    Young people is all right, isn't it? I always thought that was the given term.