Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Bandwidth stealage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think, something could be eating my bandwidth because I get very poor download speeds that are between 60 & 80kbps when I used to get a solid 104-117 kbps depending on server. I've tested my speed on ADSLguide and both downstream and upstream look fine.

I've checked for spyware, trojans & virus' and they have all came up a big no no. Also turned my software firewall off and shutdown anything that could make any kind of change to my net speeds The next thing I am going to try, is it capture some packet flowing in/out of my system to see what is eating my bandwidth.

Any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    someone using your wireless :s
  • Options
    Nope, don't think so, it's secured. No-one round here would know how to get passed the security.... I don't think many peeps round my aera know how to turn a computer on.
  • Options
    Something to check. Not sure how relevant it is to ADSL but I'll spill the beans anyway.

Do you have Sky digital? If so, the box is plugged into your phone socket correct? Disconnect your box and see if that changes things.

My mate was complaining of a slow internet connection (56k Dial-up) but was only getting a connection of around 20ish. I did all the usual stuff. Checked the phone line with BT - no probs. Checked the PC - no probs. He had his PC, second phone line and Sky all plugged in via an adaptor thingy (These can cause probs with connection speeds). So I only plugged in his net connection and was connecting at a more reasonable 48k-ish.

So I systematically plugged other things back in and was only when I plugged back in his Sky box did his net connection speed drop. So I called Sky. They told me that the box only communicates at some stupid hour in the morning and then only for a few seconds to dump info to Sky (something to do with viewing habits or something I don't know.) so they weren't sure why the box would be slowing down the net connection.

To cut this long story short an engineer came out and did something to the box and now he's connecting at a constant 48k.

If you don't have Sky then I don't know. :)
  • Options
    Yeah I have Sky digikal but it's never pluged in, only time that is, is when we order a movie or a footie match. I may phone BT.