Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not really pets but rather hamsters.

I got myself a new wee hamster 3 days ago and have been looking on google for an answer to a question i have but so far i havent found the answer im looking for. Heres what i want to know, my hamster is very young ( i have no idea exactly though ) I know all about hamsters and how they like to explore etc but my hamster keesp going on its wheel... always What i wonderd was, is there a certain amount of time they should be allowed on it for then have it taken away or is it fine to leave it in all the time and have it constantly running in the wheel. I used to have 2 Gerbils so i know how to look after these type of animals i just have no clue about the wheels and tthings like it.

One other thing, Im trying to get it used to me handling it because its very scared at the moment, i read on a site it can take 2 weeks before they start getting used to you, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this ?

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Options
    I'd say it's fine it running around in its wheel. Very noisy if you're trying to sleep though;)

I mean it's better than it staying in its house/bed all the time & sleeping & only getting up to eat food & water.

As for making it tame & used to being handled. Then i'd just get it out at least once a day & let it run over your hands etc.
  • Options
    We have a squeaky wheel, personlly i don't mind but when they're both up at 00.00-06.00 it's bloody annoying,

mine use the wheel alot, hamsters use alot of exercise and the wheel is best for them..
  • Options
    www.petwebsite.com :yes:

It's fine for them to run on their wheels all the time... most do when they're little anyway, and slow down a lot as they get older.
    Three tips for taming... at the beginning, offer them treats from your hands through the cage, they'll come to associate you with something good. Don't pick them up from the top (i.e. round their middle) as it makes them feel threatened (like a predator is picking them up)... pick them up from underneath (i.e. cup your hands and scoop them up. Once you can pick them up, sit with them in a safe place where they can't escape (e.g. the bath with no water and the plug in) and let them run over you, that way they can get used to being near you without you actually having to hold or restrain them in any way.
  • Options
    Id heard that you should only let them have their wheel for a certain amount of time a day, otherwise they will run themselves demented. They can get addicted to it, and it does shorten their lifespan.
  • Options
    my mice have wheels in their cages whenever they want to use them (which is most of the time) and the oldest is nearly 2, which is bloody old for a mouse. so i don't think it does them any harm.

if the squeaking bothers you, get a metal wheel and grease the moving parts with cooking oil (NOT WD40, like my dad suggested, you don't want to kill the poor things). every time it gets a bit squeaky, a bit more cooking oil does the trick. and if they nibble it, they won't die.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    my mice have wheels in their cages whenever they want to use them (which is most of the time) and the oldest is nearly 2, which is bloody old for a mouse. so i don't think it does them any harm.

if the squeaking bothers you, get a metal wheel and grease the moving parts with cooking oil (NOT WD40, like my dad suggested, you don't want to kill the poor things). every time it gets a bit squeaky, a bit more cooking oil does the trick. and if they nibble it, they won't die.

lol a friend of mine suggested WD40 lmao.. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    lol a friend of mine suggested WD40 lmao.. :lol:
    harharhar, yuo aer teh funnies@Q!@!@!@!!@!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by SexIsAGoodThing!!
    harharhar, yuo aer teh funnies@Q!@!@!@!!@!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

and your O-SO funny:rolleyes:
  • Options
    and your O-SO funny:rolleyes:

Why dont you go out of the house for a change, retard.
  • Options
    Why dont you go out of the house for a change, retard.

you know.. in.. 30minutes i am

and it's a bit rich coming from some from someone sitting at a pc flaming me:rolleyes:
  • Options
    you know.. in.. 30minutes i am

and it's a bit rich coming from some from someone sitting at a pc flaming me:rolleyes:

Hope you don't fall off a bridge while your out.
  • Options
    Hope you don't fall off a bridge while your out.

Well if he does let's hope your walking underneath him to break the fall.
  • Options
    The wheel doesn't do it any harm. So don't be mean and pull it away from it's toy :(

What kinda cage ya got it. Make sure it's a good size one for it to move about in. I think it's cruel to keep a gerbils/hamsters in those one level square cages.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys and girls :D

C2bk - Its currently in a small ish cage as i only just got it, when i get money it will have a bigger cage with a few levels on it, i hate keeping them in small cages too.

Thanks also Kate1 for that link :)

I wont be taking the wheel out the cage thats just being nasty.

Now i know 100% its doing the hamster no harm constantly being on it im happier.

Lil thing just needs a name now
  • Options
    Get it something like this

Excluding the two bottom cages of course. That's what I had for my gerbils. :D
    I know you got yourself a hamster. But they aint that much different.

Call it Gizmo.. :p
    Sooo cute!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind

Excluding the two bottom cages of course. That's what I had for my gerbils. :D
    I know you got yourself a hamster. But they aint that much different.

Call it Gizmo.. :p
    Sooo cute!!!

Dont want to call it Gizmo cause my friends brother called his Gizmo other mise i would have :P

... something else
  • Options

FS thats ... rather great :P

Wouldnt mind geting it, if i had the cash to buy it and the space for it ;)
  • Options
    The top three levels is what I used for my gerbil. Then had another level that was connected to a long tube like it shows on that picture but only leading to one level.

Top floor was his bed filled with tissue. Was such a cute little bugger :p
  • Options
    The top three levels is what I used for my gerbil. Then had another level that was connected to a long tube like it shows on that picture but only leading to one level.

Top floor was his bed filled with tissue. Was such a cute little bugger :p

Oh right well if Your not using it anymore I know of a good home for it :p Im free saturday i'l come over then ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    Oh right well if Your not using it anymore I know of a good home for it :p Im free saturday i'l come over then ;)

Me dad threw it out :(
    It was his way of making sure, I couldn't ask for another gerbil.
  • Options
    Me dad threw it out :(
    It was his way of making sure, I couldn't ask for another gerbil.

Aww :(
    Rachie004 : I have a couple hamster cages knocking about ;)

ooh.... i need a bigger cage for this hamster, its so active this wee cage clearly isnt enough, and i cant afford anything at the moment :(
  • Options
    This hamster is so scared she wont come near my hand if i try to get her to eat out of my hand, when holding it you can feel her shaking, she tries so run for it everytime... ( not that im expecting miracles or anything but how on earth are you supposed to get them used to you if they are terrified to come near you in the first place ) :confused:

I could use some more tips etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    it's a funky rotastack one :D

Oo :D ......