Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Teenagers spiralling out of control?

TreehuggerTreehugger Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
Hey,

Anyone seen the newspapers today? Young people are getting a some seriously negative press. They are all commenting on today's teenagers being 'anxious, depressed and antisocial.' Or as The Sun puts it 'Teen sex time bomb - 60% don't use protection - most drink - 42% try drugs.

Check out the full stories here:

http://society.guardian.co.uk/children/story/0,1074,1303181,00.html[/URL]

[URL=http://]http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004422648,00.html[/URL]

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The sad thing is a hell of a lot still don't use protection as they don't think it will happen to them.
  • Options
    Politics and debate:p

The Sun article is populist scare-mongering nonsense, as one would expect from a populist scare-mongering publication. Kids will say they have had sex and done drugs in order to look "hard"- even if the survey is anonymous a lot of children will still do this. I think all teen sex surveys are biased in this regard.

It's a big problem, but not as big as people claim.

The Guardian's article is a lot more worrying. There are so many children with mental illness these days and it is deeply disturbing. The increase figures are undoubtedly exaggerated because in the past mental health was not recorded or treated as a serious issue, but it ahs become one.

Both aspects tie into the same common themses though- feelings of being socially outcast, feelings of no or low ambition, feelings of "rebelling" against a pressurised system. Children are examined every year from the age of 10 onwards, children are taught that unless you pass your GCSEs and go to University you will do nothing in life, children are increasingly becoming aware that no, they can't change the world.

It's still true: we dance, and drink, and screw, because there's nothing else to do.
  • Options
    people have been sayingt the same thing since the 60's........and?
  • Options
    Sounds no different than when I went to school, most of the boys smoking puff, drinking too much and flunking exams.

Girls either getting 15 A* at A-level or drinking with us in the park.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Sounds no different than when I went to school, most of the boys smoking puff, drinking too much and flunking exams.

Girls either getting 15 A* at A-level or drinking with us in the park.

just to make a quick correction to this post for starters - one, you can't get A* at A-Level, and two, anyone taking 15 A-Levels will probably either have a photographic memory or is a total sadcase.

The Sun is a pile of rubbish, but that doesn't stop it from raising a very worrying issue. As Kermit said, it's not people having sex or taking drugs that counts in surveys, it's what people SAY they do.

What is the logical conclusion to draw from this? That it is perceived that taking drugs and having unprotected sex is a good thing to do, otherwise why would young people pretend that they have? I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing to do these things, i'm just saying that between the ages of 13 and 15 it is not advisable to put your health and future in jeopardy just to try and look better to your mates.

With regards to the Guardian article - there is a very worrying issue raised here, and I wonder, does it go hand in hand with the way that the teenage life works? When you consider all the hormonal inbalance, coupled with the emotional stress that one goes under at such an age, in addition stress from parents about taking responsibility, stress from teachers about working towards passing exams, stress from friends and the need to appear socially acceptable, which includes long nights, heavy drinking, keeping up with the trends.... is it any wonder that there is such a high state of mental illness and suicide attempts?
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    just to make a quick correction to this post for starters - one, you can't get A* at A-Level, and two, anyone taking 15 A-Levels will probably either have a photographic memory or is a total sadcase.

You used to be able to get A* at A-level, and strangely enough I wasnt being totaly serious about girls doing 15.
  • Options

:lol:

exaggerate, vb:
    1. To represent as greater than is actually the case; overstate: exaggerate the size of the enemy force; exaggerated his own role in the episode.
    2. To enlarge or increase to an abnormal degree: thick lenses that exaggerated the size of her eyes.
  • Options
    You used to be able to get A* at A-level, and strangely enough I wasnt being totaly serious about girls doing 15.

I always thought they only added A* to GCSE to distinguish between all the A grades.

Before the A, B, C, D, E at A-Level there was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9....

I don't think there ever was A* at A-Level
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Why letters anyway? Over here, the grades are from 0 to 20, 20 being the best. It's even possible to have 15.79 as a grade. It's much simpler than A- and B+ etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Why letters anyway? Over here, the grades are from 0 to 20, 20 being the best. It's even possible to have 15.79 as a grade. It's much simpler than A- and B+ etc.

It isn't even A- and B+... just A, B, C, D, E, U (for ungraded)

I think the objective was to make the system simpler.

However, they now want to add an A1, A2, A3 and A4, to split up the A grade and distinguish between candidates.

POINTLESS!!!
  • Options
    TreehuggerTreehugger Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    Teenagers spiralling out of control ?

Thanks for all your comments this afternoon! You Rock!
  • Options
    when i was a teenager ...in the days of the flood ...we drank and smoked dope but ...it was a different world we were staring into.
    the future looked incredibly bright.
    war was going to be a thing of the past as was hunger. technologogy was going to free us all up for mass leisure time.
    love joy peace was in the air.
    only in the darkest science fiction novels would there be cameras around every corner watching your every move ...
    there was little or no pressure to own anything ...certainly not branded expensive clothes to fit in.
    little pressure to get grades.
    jobs for life could be had at the drop of a hat.
    there were still comunitys where every mother in a street was mum to every kid in the street. people, especialy kids wandered in and out of everyones house without thinking about it.
    times were tougher in some respects but the entire comunity was everyones support network ...we didn't realise this at the time of course.
    the fincial and sexual pressures on todays young people are way over the top.
    kids aren't allowed to be kids for long.
    next door nieghbour was allowed to give you a whack and drag you home by the ear with a boot up your arse if you broke his greenhouse window ...so very few things got broke.
    even parents can't slap their kids now without all this fucking hocus pocus modern bullshit of political correctness and childrens rights ...undoing thousands of years of community that worked ...and yes it worked.
    fame and riches seem to be big on the agenda when in reality it aint going to happen.
    the streets are now cold ...where in my day they were warm ...warm with family and freinds. everyone new everyone elses business.
    it's a lot tougher for young people now than when i was young.
    all the glamour ...the possibility of millions of pounds for a one poun stake ...life in the healthiest of times ...the best education in history ...the fantastic technology ...has somehow cheapened life ...cheapened the individual ...taken away our identities.
    to much fear and uncertainty pervades the air from terrorism ...job insecurity ...environmental catastrophy ...
    hard ...very hard for young people who probably think that this stuff doesn't even effect them ...it does ...it's all pervading.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit

When I was at school it was the same! :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't think times have changed, sure I'm only 15 but we do drugs, drink and have sex, as did everyone else back 20 years.
    The older people shake their heads because they can see what we're doing to ourselves. I can see what I'm doing to myself but I don't care because really life's a load of shit.

You may think I'm talking out my arse but I know what I'm trying to say.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ice-babe

You may think I'm talking out my arse but I know what I'm trying to say.

i know what you're on about, the only reason everyone is saying that teenagers are spiralling out of control is because of the media, shocking stories about teenagers are more widely available and it's mostly bull anyway, like the adults of the 60's were complaining about the youth then but i'm sure the adults of the 20's and 30's were complaining about them when they were young, and i'm sure in 30 years most of us will be moaining some way or another, it has always been like this and always will, there never was a perfect society or golden age so shut up all you complaining fools.
  • Options
    Thankyou :)
  • Options
    I don't think times have changed, sure I'm only 15 but we do drugs, drink and have sex, as did everyone else back 20 years.

Nah when i was younger I smoked ciggies yes, didnt drink, didnt do drugs and didnt have sex......so your wrong :)
  • Options
    Most of the population. you can't say that most of the population were good little boys and girls, then drink smoke and sex
  • Options
    Most of the population. you can't say that most of the population were good little boys and girls, then drink smoke and sex

HAVE sex - sex isn't a verb.

i don't mean to pry, but can i just ask why you think life's a load of shit?
  • Options
    you can't say that most of the population were good little boys and girls,

I could if I wanted too.....but i didnt.

I said I didnt do drink/drugs, like many of my friends at that time. The ones who said they had sex were probably just trying to look big and clever anyhow.
    I lived in a bedsit at a very young age yet i still didnt do drugs/drink so without parents around at that time I could have if id wanted too.
  • Options
    HAVE sex - sex isn't a verb.

i don't mean to pry, but can i just ask why you think life's a load of shit?

*cough* PEDANTIC PRICK *cough*
  • Options
    oh aren't parents great stopping you from doing things you really want to do
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I could if I wanted too.....but i didnt.

I said I didnt do drink/drugs, like many of my friends at that time. The ones who said they had sex were probably just trying to look big and clever anyow.
    I lived in a bedsit at a very young age yet i still didnt do drugs/drink so without parents around at that time I could have if id wanted too.

many teenagers do that today too, many teenagers are involved in charity, you never see a big headline in the papers about this, generally, and notice the generally, teens have alway been bad and good behaved and it really HASN'T got worse of the past few decades.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    *cough* PEDANTIC PRICK *cough*

if i want to correct people's english i will, there's too many people around who can't speak their own language. i'd rather see more literate people than less thank you.
  • Options
    oh aren't parents great stopping you from doing things you really want to do

Stop being sarcastic.....its not good and its not clever neither.
  • Options
    Being sarcastic is my bad habit
  • Options
    if i want to correct people's english i will, there's too many people around who can't speak their own language. i'd rather see more literate people than less thank you.

take your head out of you anus please, and what verb do you use to describe the action of sex, stop being a pedant and wise up. it's only a fucking internet site, correcting people's english, GIMP ALERT.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo when she said that she probably would have done drink/drugs if her parents weren't around (or something like that)
  • Options

You might want to sort out your use of punctuation and syntax first; before correcting others.

Incidentally it's not 'i' it's 'I'
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    teens have alway been bad and good behaved and it really HASN'T got worse of the past few decades.

hhmm not so sure on that one to be honest. Its the minority that give the others a bad name. But I think teenagers do a lot more out of control stuff compared to when I was at school. More teenagers do serious crime (or at least thats what I think....I could be wrong), you just hear about very serious crimes being commited by the younger generation compared to teenagers when I was a kid.
    Some teenagers of today have no respect for their parents, or themselves tbh thats why they tear arse about communities early hours of the morning causing damage etc etc.
    dont get me wrong, there are a lot of decent teenagers and im not saying all teenagers are tearaways...theres the few that give you decent ones a bad name....thats all.