Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

other options....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i'm now seriously having to think of other options other than GCSEs at the moment, going back to school just looks practicaly immpossble. i've thought about possibly doing them next year -when i should be- or taking them this year as an exsternal candidate, teaching myself. i've thought that if i get on with my music stuff, and then go back to my academic stuff, i might give myself a better chance. seeing as going back to school just doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

has anyone done this, or have any thoughts on other possibilities?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: other options....
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    teaching myself

how'd you plan on doing that then?

you realise you'd probably have to pay for your exam entries that way?
  • Options
    Re: Re: other options....
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    how'd you plan on doing that then?

you realise you'd probably have to pay for your exam entries that way?

i have to pay as it is
  • Options
    Perhaps you could explain your situation a little more clearly so we can try and help - why is going back to school not an option and what "music stuff" would you be focusing on instead? :)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: other options....
    i have to pay as it is

not answering the first part of my question then?

and yes, like almost_innocent said, i think you should explain your situation more. i don't know anything - are you living in England now then? :confused:
  • Options
    ok.

since going to many different schools and having the same problems i can no longer attend main stream schools. i'm a year ahead in all my subject and i'm ment to be attending a tutorial college here in spain. but i can't as it's too far away and there are no othere schools that i can go to nearer.

music stuff: there are a few courses and things out here that i could take, and i could really teach myself keyboards again and guitar.

but i don't really know of anyother alternatives to going back to school.....:(

hope that explains it a bit better
  • Options
    ok.

since going to many different schools and having the same problems i can no longer attend main stream schools. i'm a year ahead in all my subject and i'm ment to be attending a tutorial college here in spain. but i can't as it's too far away and there are no othere schools that i can go to nearer.

music stuff: there are a few courses and things out here that i could take, and i could really teach myself keyboards again and guitar.

but i don't really know of anyother alternatives to going back to school.....:(

hope that explains it a bit better

home tutoring?

another thing, why can't you attend mainstream schools?
  • Options
    home tutoring?

another thing, why can't you attend mainstream schools?

i can't cope with the strain....and stuff like that...
  • Options
    i can't cope with the strain....and stuff like that...

the strain?

are you having a laugh?

i'm sorry but if that's that only reason you're giving me as to why you cannot attend school then that's all i can go on and i think it sounds like a bit of a silly excuse.
  • Options
    the strain?

are you having a laugh?

i'm sorry but if that's that only reason you're giving me as to why you cannot attend school then that's all i can go on and i think it sounds like a bit of a silly excuse.

i get panic attacks and stuff, thats what i ment by the strain. it makes me really ill. i got really bad chest pains and headaches and dizziness and stuff.
  • Options
    You're a year ahead and shouldn't be starting your GCSE's yet, is that what your saying? Just to clear that part up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    You're a year ahead and shouldn't be starting your GCSE's yet, is that what your saying? Just to clear that part up.

i should be starting my GCSEs this year but i'm finishing them instead as i'm year ahead.
  • Options
    Well, the way I see your situation it really depends how determined you are to complete your GCSEs a year early. I'm sure you could make it to your tutorial college thing if you were prepared to do a lot of travelling everyday, teaching yourself probably isn't a good idea because you won't have the same sort of support you would have at a college and this may be detrimental to your final grades.

What do your parents/whoever you live with have to say about the situation? Have you talked about getting help for your school phobia or discussed the situation with them?
  • Options
    i get panic attacks and stuff, thats what i ment by the strain. it makes me really ill. i got really bad chest pains and headaches and dizziness and stuff.

i guess you've been to the doctors and everything? can't they give you any help?
  • Options

don't you think it would be wise to work on getting over that rather than taking exams a year early (which i've never seen the point of - do the extra years work and get better grades, surely?).

cause if you can't cope with school, how the hell are you going to cope with the strain of the workplace?

(and yes i know you're going to be an international rock star, but that's what we all think, and 99% of us end up in 9-5 jobs).
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    don't you think it would be wise to work on getting over that rather than taking exams a year early (which i've never seen the point of - do the extra years work and get better grades, surely?).

cause if you can't cope with school, how the hell are you going to cope with the strain of the workplace?

(and yes i know you're going to be an international rock star, but that's what we all think, and 99% of us end up in 9-5 jobs).

it's a think with what i associate school with. i've been bullied in almost every school i've been to, from just general name calling and having my work destroyed, to having a knife held to my head.

i got very fustrated with "normal schools" because i was consistantly labled as either much higher or lower than the standard- usualy higher- and not getting any extra help i.e. work that was of a higher level ect.

i can't handle being around kids of the same age, they all just seem so cruel to me, and teacher seem so condisending, like they are the all knowing and all seeing creatures that should be resected just because of this fact. since being bullied by one teacher, i have lost all faith in teachers.

i have done various "little" jobs in shops and stuff like serving and things and i can cope easily, but with school i can't. but this college because it more of a college than a school i can because there is a mutual respect, and i am treated as an individual.

i'm sorry if i seem really uppety and liek i'm above the crowd, i don't think that at all, i just find schools hard to deal with.

going back to what someone said about travling all the time. it would cost about 8 quid a day to do so, plus i would have to leave at 7:10am to get back about 8:00pm, and i don't think i could phsicaly manage this with my course work added.
  • Options
    i'm sorry if i seem really uppety and liek i'm above the crowd, i don't think that at all, i just find schools hard to deal with.

take this however you want, but i'll say it anyway.

you seem to think your experience is unusual. it's not. loads of people find schools hard to deal with.

but you have two options. one is to keep running away. which is easier, but it sets a pattern for the rest of your life.

the other is to stick it out. i did that one (not that i had a choice) and i am certain that i am a better person because of it.

and as for doing exams a year early, no offence, but from your posts, it sounds like you could really use another year's study.
  • Options
    my problem is that i can not get to my school. thus i cannot go.

so, i'm having to look at what else i can do instead.
  • Options

You've just said you can go to school, but it costs £8 a day so don't say you can't when you've just said there's a way around it!

If you want to finish your education, then do it. Stop being so defeatist (not sure I spelt that right) and think positivley. No one really likes teachers!
  • Options

so why even mention any of the other stuff?

sounds to me like you're making excuses so that you don't have to do something you don't find easy. which is fair enough, but at the end of the day, it's your education, and no one's gonna do it but you.
  • Options
    As I said before, what do you parents/guardians think about this? Things may be different where you're living but certainly in England it is illegal not to attend school if you're under 16, education is compulsory regardless of whether or not you are a year ahead.

And you have to think also, are your circumstances going to change within the next year to allow you either to go to the college you want to go to, or go to a school? If your problems with regular schools continue then you aren't going to be able to attend either now or in a years time, and similarly if college is inacessable to you then next year you will be in the same situation. Surely it is better to do something to confront your problems now?
  • Options
    Well thanks for all your suggestions. We finally decided to stop going to the college, but to have tutors in English (lit and language), maths, science, and IT. I’m going to start going to this music college thing part time, so I can get some music into my education as well.

Ok, so it's not what I first wanted, but it's what works for me. I can finish my GCSEs this April/June, as planned. My head teacher sees no problem in me doing this, and I can get on with my music production course and have singing, piano, guitar, and music theory lessons as well. But in the grand plan of all things I shall just have to see how it all works out...