Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Student rail card - must have

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
To all you people who travel by rail! I have invested in a student rail card which applies to 16-25 year olds. It is the best thing i've done this year. It cost me £20 yet it save me 1/3 of most rail travel. Im very often going from southampton to telford (midlands) on the weekends and a return ticket costs roughly £55. With my rail card it costs roughly £32 which doesnt seem much but considering i do this at least once a month its great, i save the price i payed for my railcard in the first place so its definitely worth looking into.
HSBC are actually offering a railcard free for 5 years if you open an account with them which is a bonus if ur thinking of doing this also. Its a pain coz i opened my account 2 months before they started their offer. Damm me!!
Hope this has helped you with your decision but i say its a must have!!!
XxX
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Totally agree. It's one of the best and most useful things I own, and so cheap. It's a must for all those in LDR's.
  • Options
    It's a Young Person's Railcard, you don't need to be a student to own one.
  • Options
    It's a Young Person's Railcard, you don't need to be a student to own one.

Same difference! It's promoted to students tho as they fill in from aks if u r
    A full time student
    A part time student
    A mature student
    Yuo kinda get to that stage where you think tht perhaps this is a deal for students Hmmmm!!!
    XxX
  • Options
    Originally posted by squishter
    Same difference! It's promoted to students tho as they fill in from aks if u r
    A full time student
    A part time student
    A mature student
    Yuo kinda get to that stage where you think tht perhaps this is a deal for students Hmmmm!!!
    XxX

It does ask, but you don't need to be one to get it unless you are aged over 24.

It seems a moot point, but it ain't.
  • Options
    LoL!! Is a silly argument but they are great all the same, couldn't get by without it. I mean my it saved me £20 on my latest tickets so i've basically got my money back that i payed for my rail card already - its great.
    Am very worried tho, off to birmingham new street today at 4 and its such a horrible station, wont arrive till about half 6 and im worried as it is starting to get dark earlier isnt it? Last time i did that journey my train arrived 3/4 of an hour late so i have an awful feeling it will be dark & then i have to catch my next train to telford. I can see that i'll arrive, on my own and have to wait around in a quiet dark station for my boyfriend to pick me up. I'm very paranoid too about strangers, and what they might do.
    Ahhhhhh!!! Hopefully if they have any sense they'll not wanna touch me with a 10 ft barge pole :)
    XxX