Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

lets challenge our soft lives.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
not thinking of extreme sports or such.
more, things we can do at home to challenge our everyday easy lives.
we have it far to easy and the ammount of people on this site who use the word ... 'bored'...goes to prove my point.
so what can we do to make our lives more interesting ...more challenging?
one i've thought up ...
see if you can go without toilet paper for a whole week!

Comments

• Options
    Re: lets challenge our soft lives.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    not thinking of extreme sports or such.
    more, things we can do at home to challenge our everyday easy lives.
    we have it far to easy and the ammount of people on this site who use the word ... 'bored'...goes to prove my point.
    so what can we do to make our lives more interesting ...more challenging?
    one i've thought up ...

there goes rolly with the 'ole nostalgia again, i'm very grateful for my "easy" life, which will only get better, heard those words before *cough* new labour *cough*. anyway, try sleeping rough for a week, thats your new reality pill for ya.
  • Options

Ugh, been there, done that, not going back!!

Here's some more challenges from my past.

Go without gas and electricity for the entire month of January!

Live only on potatoes for 6 weeks on end or until the sack runs out, whichever happens first!

Sleep in a carpark in freezing weather!

Ditto under a bridge!

See if you can get the Salvation Army to feed you!

I've done my time, let someone else have the challenges.
  • Options

Does Hellfire count with the use of the word "boredem"? Or is that a completely universal word with much more powerful meanings and connotations/denotations? :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: lets challenge our soft lives.
    Originally posted by Miffy

Live only on potatoes for 6 weeks on end or until the sack runs out, whichever happens first!

I'm Irish, i've been doing that for 17 years now :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Ugh, been there, done that, not going back!!

Here's some more challenges from my past.

Sleep in a carpark in freezing weather!

Ditto under a bridge!

See if you can get the Salvation Army to feed you!

these don't count count ...done similar myself but you can't do these at home.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    there goes rolly with the 'ole nostalgia again,
    oi! i'm not that old that i predate bog roll.
    even though it was s hard as the manchester evening news.
  • Options
    how about living without electricity for a week, are we really that dependent on the media, internet, etc that we can't live without them? i reckon i could last a few days.
  • Options
    how about living without electricity for a week, are we really that dependent on the media, internet, etc that we can't live without them? i reckon i could last a few days.
    come winter storms in north wales and the electric goes off on a regular basis ...all overhaed supplies round here.
    so ...we bung logs on the fire and play scrablle ...monopoly ...drink whiskey ...smoke things and generaly have a great old time.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    come winter storms in north wales and the electric goes off on a regular basis ...all overhaed supplies round here.
    so ...we bung logs on the fire and play scrablle ...monopoly ...drink whiskey ...smoke things and generaly have a great old time.
    We used to do that too when there was a power failure. But now... It's good for my parents (and for me) that they're divorced and it's good for my brother to stay out of the country, but I've been even more alone since...
    Excuse me. Rant over.
  • Options

great isn't it, it brings you in touch with yourself and with who you are, i'm going to stop before i go into a mad rant about how much society has changed and all this modernisation of life shit but i think you know what i mean rolly.
  • Options
    great isn't it, it brings you in touch with yourself and with who you are, i'm going to stop before i go into a mad rant about how much society has changed and all this modernisation of life shit but i think you know what i mean rolly.
    your right it does ...it's kinda romantic. it makes you adapt ...life gets harder but somehow more worthwhile ...more alive ...but it becomes a poain in the arse after a while.
    another challenging thing to our everyday lives would be no comunications ...no radio ...no tv ...no news about how the rest of the world is getting on but ...the fucking phone seems to always survive everything!
  • Options
    Hmm, i made a challenge with my friends a couple of days back, before i saw this post...

My challenge is to learn to write with my left hand. (i'm right-handed)

One of the guys has to learn the number pi to the 30th.

We actually made some sort of "let's learn stuff we'll never use" agreement, and it was quite funny.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: lets challenge our soft lives.
    I'm Irish, i've been doing that for 17 years now :)

Yes but the only extras you're allowed are a bottle of oil, a small tub of margarine and salt!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: lets challenge our soft lives.
    these don't count count ...done similar myself but you can't do these at home.

You could do a rough approximation of sleeping in a carpark or under a bridge by going outside and sleeping on the garden path or the patio (best to leave that one till about December though - make sure you grab a nice big box from the supermarket first).

The only one you probably couldn't do at home is get the Salvation Army to feed you! But them maybe that just makes it more of a challenge, eh? ;)