Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

United equalises in 91st minute shock!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well, at least it wasn't in the 93rd like the last time.

;)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Looks like it was another of United's cheating Frogs using his arm though:p
  • Options
    United are going to be the next Liverpool, dominating one decade, being mediocre the next.
  • Options
    Liverpool didn't have the fan base, marketing power or squad that United have now, which is why United will continue to be a big club and not go down the Liverpool road to mediocrity. Write United off at your peril. They have a habit of coming back or need I remind anyone of season 2002/2003.
  • Options
    Originally posted by addicted7
    Liverpool didn't have the fan base, marketing power

In that day marketing opportunities were not the important factor, success on the pitch was. And Liverpool's trophy cabinet puts Man United's to shame.

personally I think Liverpool's dmeise can be attributed to the English ban in Europe, to be quite honest.

Don't say that "it'll never happen"- I'm just waiting for Ferguson to retire. Not long after Busby left United they got relegated- never forget that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

Don't say that "it'll never happen"- I'm just waiting for Ferguson to retire. Not long after Busby left United they got relegated- never forget that.

Fair enough. But I do think the modern era of football differs dramatically from back in the days of the Bubsy babes. Nowadays it is possible to bring in quality players from abroad provided you have the cash. Years ago foreigners were virtually unheard of and teams relied on British-born homegrown talent. It was very possible for a team to go down whereas these days the big clubs can replace problem areas and get on with it. I know I sound like I support the idea that you can throw money at a problem and it will go away but I think Im being realistic. Of course a club could end up doing a Leeds but I think that is highly unlikely in a well run club like Man Utd. As for your comments on Ferguson, when he backs down, I'm sure the application list will read like a phone directory. It's got to be one of the most sought after manager positions in world football. Martin O'Neill would be my choice but then again I'm a biased Northern Irish man.
  • Options
    I do actually think whoever takes over the Umited job is on a hiding to nothing, and I credit O'Neill with more intelligence than to take it straight over.

One bad choice of manager can floor a club- Liverpool appointed Souness, and look what happened.

Man United aren't that well run either- they just have a huge fan base, so merchandise keep them going. Arsenal are run on a far tighter grouding, but they don't have the "name" of Manchester United so they don't make as much money. But the Far East fans are really quite fickle- if United start failing they'll all switch.
  • Options
    I do actually think whoever takes over the Umited job is on a hiding to nothing, and I credit O'Neill with more intelligence than to take it straight over.

Well for now the job is noones but Fergie's but we will see come the time whether O'Neill will show interest. I personally think he needs a greater challenge than Celtic.
    One bad choice of manager can floor a club- Liverpool appointed Souness, and look what happened.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't Liverpool Graeme Souness' first managerial position. It was a terrible appointment by Liverpool but I highly doubt United would appoint someone without the greatest of track records therefore the chances of club ruin a la Liverpool would be vastly reduced.
    Man United aren't that well run either- they just have a huge fan base, so merchandise keep them going. But the Far East fans are really quite fickle- if United start failing they'll all switch.

Well I don't solely place how well a club is run on its financial situation (e.g. Uniteds youth system and academy is second to none) but I understand that the Far Eastern fans do help the cause. Whether they would turn their backs on United I'm not sure. I doubt it, firstly because I believe United will continue to be successfull and secondly while young exciting starlets like Rooney and Ronaldo remain at United the Far East fans will continue to follow.
    Arsenal are run on a far tighter grouding, but they don't have the "name" of Manchester United so they don't make as much money.

Just a point I'd like to make about Arsenal. Front page of Sunday Times last month I read that Arsenal were paying their players through off shore companies' accounts or something. The bottom line was their players were not paying any taxes to the British Government on their wages. Greedy bastards wont even pay taxes to the country that they live and play in. But I suppose that's more to do with greed (or perhaps one of the incentives they have used to lure players to highbury) than the running of the club. Rant Over.
  • Options
    Well for now the job is noones but Fergie's but we will see come the time whether O'Neill will show interest. I personally think he needs a greater challenge than Celtic.

I will cry the day he leaves the Bhoys, but he will do. I don't think he'll take the United job straight away afetr Fergie- not unless he's daft.

I'd still put money on Trappatoni or Eriksson, tell the truth, as that's who they sounded out last time.

FI highly doubt United would appoint someone without the greatest of track records therefore the chances of club ruin a la Liverpool would be vastly reduced.

You'd be amazed. And track records prove nothing- Taylor should have been a good Permiershit manager, and Adebola should have been a good Premiershit striker. Ho hum.

Well I don't solely place how well a club is run on its financial situation (e.g. Uniteds youth system and academy is second to none)

United's youth academy has been having a quiet time of it recently. Most of the good young players have been bought in.

but I understand that the Far Eastern fans do help the cause. Whether they would turn their backs on United I'm not sure. I doubt it, firstly because I believe United will continue to be successfull and secondly while young exciting starlets like Rooney and Ronaldo remain at United the Far East fans will continue to follow.

If United stop winning trophies then the fans will go. Scandinavia used to be full of Liverpool fans, it isn't anymore.

Interesting you should raise Rooney and Ronaldo. They both prove how United aren't that well run; there have been a lot of rather fishy agents fees paid out of that club, and I still think that United have paid over the odds for Ronaldo, Saha, Rooney, and even players like Heinze.

Just a point I'd like to make about Arsenal. Front page of Sunday Times last month I read that Arsenal were paying their players through off shore companies' accounts or something. The bottom line was their players were not paying any taxes to the British Government on their wages. Greedy bastards wont even pay taxes to the country that they live and play in. But I suppose that's more to do with greed (or perhaps one of the incentives they have used to lure players to highbury) than the running of the club. Rant Over.

That isn't an uncommon tactic, most of the top Premiershit footballers are paid in the same way. It isn't a "dirty Arsenal" thing, it's a Premiershit thing- there aren't many top players who DO pay their way in taxes.

I don't think United will drop far when Ferguson retires, but I think they'll drop to Liverpool levels of"mediocrity". Which would be enough really.
  • Options
    (e.g. Uniteds youth system and academy is second to none)
    I may be a bit biased but I honestly think the youth system and acadamy at Leeds is better than at Man U and they are still producing a lot of good young home-grown talent. No Man U youth has being seen in the scum team for a while, (I don't follow them so I'm not totally sure), the last lot are class though with Becks, Giggs, Scholes, Butt etc. but since that bunch I don't re-call many.
  • Options
    If United stop winning trophies then the fans will go. Scandinavia used to be full of Liverpool fans, it isn't anymore.

Hmm, I thought they were still there.

But as for United, maybe the make-up will change but they didn't have that problem during the last "barren" period.

Even in the 2nd division they had crowds bigger than most first division teams...
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    No Man U youth has being seen in the scum team for a while, (I don't follow them so I'm not totally sure), the last lot are class though with Becks, Giggs, Scholes, Butt etc. but since that bunch I don't re-call many.

Not as many but that was a golden era by any teams record. How many others have had such quality coming through at once.

Recently there has been John O-Shea and Darren Fletcher. In the wings you have CHris Eagles, John Spector, Kieran Richardson to name just three who should break through
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Not as many but that was a golden era by any teams record. How many others have had such quality coming through at once.

Recently there has been John O-Shea and Darren Fletcher. In the wings you have CHris Eagles, John Spector, Kieran Richardson to name just three who should break through
    Leeds have they've just fucked up big-time elsewhere, I remember watching the likes of Beckham when they were in the FA Cup youth final against Leeds and Leeds were victorious.

John O-Shea, Darren Fletcher are nothing compared to the earlier mentioned players, they are imo quite shit, maybe time will prove me wrong but at the moment they are not "Man U" standard, if you judge the standard on the last 10yrs, they just don't cut it.

As has being said by some of your own players, teams don't get frightened by the thought of playing Man U now, you are not a class above everyone at the moment and are playing mediocre stuff imo. This could all change with the re-introduction of Rio, RvHorsehead getting back to his best, Rooney doing what we've all seen him do at Euro, and even then I think your defence is still lacking a bit, Rio is class but he can't do it all by himself, Gary Neville has impressed me recently with England and am swaying in the direction that he's pretty decent but O'Shea and Brown are a liability waiting to happen, and Silvestre is nothing more than shit imo.

We'll see how the season pans out but at the moment I would only rate you as about 4th-6th best team in the league, which isn't bad but if your judging by the last 10yrs this is pretty much a nightmare.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    John Spector

Great home-grown talent there :thumb: