Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

is it normal to be paranoid after coming off solvents after 2yrs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i just come off solvents after 2yrs and its made me paranoid is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    Re: is it normal to be paranoid after coming off solvents after 2yrs?
    Originally posted by thomson2004
    i just come off solvents after 2yrs and its made me paranoid is this normal?
    seeing as half your brain has probably melted then anythings possible.
  • Options
    Yes, I'd say its probably very normal.

First of all, well done! Solvents are bad news and coming off them is an excellent idea.

Secondly I would suggest that you book an appointment with your GP, talk to him/her about the situation, they should be able to help you.
  • Options
    sniffing petrol and haze was probably the most addictive thing i've ever done, the buzz really was that good, anyway, as Bong said well done, you need to have a load of will power to do that, and coming off any drug will make you paranoid, i'm not sure if there's any scientific explanation for it but yea you do become paranoid.
  • Options
    Well, the reason is that you have used the drug to regulate your emotions and you have become less able to do it yourself.

Your own emotional barriers and coping mechanisms have been replaced by the drug. When the drug is gone then your left without them and you feel open and exposed.

It takes time for these to come back, but they do.

Ask anyone who has once been an addict, it takes time before your respose to any stress at all is "Oh I need some..."
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    TheSite has a page here with some information about solvents, Erowid's page has loads more information, and there is a charity called Re-solv, for the prevention of solvent and volatile substance abuse. Re-Solv's Freephone National Helpline number is 0808 800 2345.