Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Twin Tower 2 - stay or go?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lots of programmes on TV about Sep 11th for obvious reasons.

One thing that makes me wonder is the number of stories of people in the 2nd tower that were about to leave not knowing wha was happening next door except for seeing lots of smoke ... when their bosses ordered them to stay and keep working.

In reality if put in their shoes do you think you'd have just left and disregarded your boss and risk losing your job or stayed? Bearing i mind you didn't know what was really happening or what was going to happen (and of cos not know what you know now)

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Twin Tower 2 - stay or go?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Lots of programmes on TV about Sep 11th for obvious reasons.

    One thing that makes me wonder is the number of stories of people in the 2nd tower that were about to leave not knowing wha was happening next door except for seeing lots of smoke ... when their bosses ordered them to stay and keep working.

    In reality if put in their shoes do you think you'd have just left and disregarded your boss and risk losing your job or stayed? Bearing i mind you didn't know what was really happening or what was going to happen (and of cos not know what you know now)
    then you'd obviously stay ...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think i probably would have stayed, there bosses didnt know what would have happened and you cant walk out of work for no reason (there was a reason but they didnt know that)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fuck knows, I'd have been to busy shaking to think rationally.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    i think i probably would have stayed, there bosses didnt know what would have happened and you cant walk out of work for no reason (there was a reason but they didnt know that)

    Well I'd be thinking the building next door is on fire what if it topples over onto us... I'd never have imagined the building would have fallen straight down barely damaging the tower next door.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Well I'd be thinking the building next door is on fire what if it topples over onto us... I'd never have imagined the building would have fallen straight down barely damaging the tower next door.
    you just sais they didn't know ...they could just smell some smoke.
    no one would ever dream that such a structure would fall over cos of a bit of smoke ...and the boss said nowt to worry about ...so you'd stay.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    id say fuck this and go home or shopping! i wouldnt want to be near something on fire which was that big
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Twin Tower 2 - stay or go?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    when their bosses ordered them to stay and keep working.

    Im outta here matey, if you wanna stay fine, but im off home...........tara !!!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    but they knew nothing of any fire or plane crash according to the original question ...if there was a small fire in another building why would you leave?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but they knew nothing of any fire or plane crash according to the original question ...if there was a small fire in another building why would you leave?

    People must have heard the explosion and seen the smoke.

    I heard this woman speak of how her husband in the 2nd tower called her to say something happened inthe tower next doorand there was smoke and they'd be leaving.

    Then about 10 minutes later he rings to say his boss has ordered them to stay put.

    Then he rings again some time after to say something has now happened to his building and they can't escape as the staircases are full of smoke, etc.

    I'm sure the bang from the plane going into the first tower would tell most people something major just happened.

    A lot of people that died inthe 2nd tower were stockbrokers watching their screens with their bosses not want to let anything get in the way of making a buck.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if there was a small fire in another building why would you leave?

    I wasnt there obviously, but I dont suspect for one minuite they saw a small fire. The noise must have been horrendous and I know what im like in places when there has been some kind of problem......im outta there, no way im staying.
    Like a fire alarm went off in a our shopping center thing, people were dilly dallying, I was outta there. No way was I gonna be burned to cinders.......it was a false alarm like.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My relatives in Kenya heard the explosion when they blew up the American Embassy 3 to 4 miles away, I assume if you're a few hundred metres away from the 1st tower when the plane hit the noise would have been massive.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I wasnt there obviously, but I dont suspect for one minuite they saw a small fire. The noise must have been horrendous and I know what im like in places when there has been some kind of problem......im outta there, no way im staying.
    Like a fire alarm went off in a our shopping center thing, people were dilly dallying, I was outta there. No way was I gonna be burned to cinders.......it was a false alarm like.
    i'm going off the original question ...remembering that diamond said ...

    not knowing wha was happening next door except for seeing lots of smoke ... when their bosses ordered them to stay and keep working.

    In reality if put in their shoes do you think you'd have just left and disregarded your boss and risk losing your job or stayed? Bearing i mind you didn't know what was really happening or what was going to happen (and of cos not know what you know now)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i'm going off the original question ...remembering that diamond said ...

    not knowing wha was happening next door except for seeing lots of smoke ... when their bosses ordered them to stay and keep working.


    I am putting myself in their shoes, if i was there then the noise would have been just so unbeleivable, i then see smoke so I run like F**k, cos im a soft shite :lol:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I am putting myself in their shoes, if i was there then the noise would have been just so unbeleivable, i then see smoke so I run like F**k, cos im a soft shite :lol:
    yeah but diamond wrote this in a way that you knew diddly shit ...
    i can assure you if i heard a very low aircraft ...heard a fucking big crash ...a big explosion ...then i'd be out of there too!
    not the way the thread was started though.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    yeah but diamond wrote this in a way that you knew diddly shit ...
    i can assure you if i heard a very low aircraft ...heard a fucking big crash ...a big explosion ...then i'd be out of there too!
    not the way the thread was started though.

    Aye well tell him to write it proper then and more accurately blah blah blah :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I didn't know I'd no doubt stay...worrying thought really
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx
    If I didn't know I'd no doubt stay...
    exactly.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    yeah but diamond wrote this in a way that you knew diddly shit ...
    i can assure you if i heard a very low aircraft ...heard a fucking big crash ...a big explosion ...then i'd be out of there too!
    not the way the thread was started though.

    Maybe I didn't write it clearly enough .. Well I did actually mean what would you do not knowing specifically that a plane went into the tower next door but not excluding what your senses are telling you.

    i.e. you'r sitting in your office and hear a huge explosion and then see smoke. Do you stay put or do you get the hell outta there

    Also gotta remember this was the 2nd terriorst attack on the towers, people did explode a bomb in the car park several years before. I'd suspect many people working there to know that it had been bombed once before although the damaged caused wasn't major enough to damage the overall building.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Twin Tower 2 - stay or go?
    Originally posted by J
    Nothing stops the money machine, not even death if they can help it.

    Very true. My friend works for Barclays where they do all the transaction processing and stuff that makes the bank operate, and in case anything happened, like the place set on fire or worse, they figured it would cost more to lose those services for a couple of days than just build another identical, unused facility on the other side of Liverpool.

    To be honest, I have no idea what I'd have done if I was in that second building in New York and I can only hope that none of us are ever put in that kind of situation :/
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I might be wrong about this but I thought that the reason why they told people in the second tower to stay put was because they wanted to first evacuate everyone from the first tower and carry out the rescue effort. If they had evacuated the second tower as well there would have been too many people on the street getting in the way and causing even more panic (though with hindsite there actually was cause for panic). I imagine that the eventual plan would have had to have been to evacuate the second tower and surrounding buildings.

    However in answer to your question - At the time of September the 11th I was working in westminster and my boyfriend appered downstairs in my building and demanded that I left and went home with him because he thought that the centre of london was too dangrous a place to be, so yes I would have (and indeed did leave) inspite of what my boss told me what to do.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    I might be wrong about this but I thought that the reason why they told people in the second tower to stay put was because they wanted to first evacuate everyone from the first tower and carry out the rescue effort. If they had evacuated the second tower as well there would have been too many people on the street getting in the way and causing even more panic (though with hindsite there actually was cause for panic). I imagine that the eventual plan would have had to have been to evacuate the second tower and surrounding buildings.

    However in answer to your question - At the time of September the 11th I was working in westminster and my boyfriend appered downstairs in my building and demanded that I left and went home with him because he thought that the centre of london was too dangrous a place to be, so yes I would have (and indeed did leave) inspite of what my boss told me what to do.

    Firstly I say smart boyfriend!!

    I'm quite surprised actually that they didn't hit more targets on that day in different cities around the world. I was on holiday in Kenya at the time of the attack and watching it all on CNN.

    I saw a programme on TV last night that said the day before the attack ... 10 times more then normal shares in American Airlines was traded on the stockmarket (with certain people knowing what was going to happen the following day) - The reckon by playing the money markets the terrorist could have made as much as $15 Million on the stock market the following day.

    I don't think anyone was well organised enough to think about NOT evactuating the 2nd tower to give more time to the 1st.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Well I'd be thinking the building next door is on fire what if it topples over onto us... I'd never have imagined the building would have fallen straight down barely damaging the tower next door.

    The whole area nearby was ruined...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    The whole area nearby was ruined...

    Nearby is kinda relative to the size of the whole building.

    I mean when tower one fell it didn't knock over the 2nd tower ...

    I've been to New York and stood at the foot of the Empire State Building and just imagining that all falling down at once and these we're even bigger!!!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think I would have stayed, all that way to the bottom for nothing would tire my Maccy D's arse off! :D
    Plus I feel safe in an office, it's like a second home to me.
Sign In or Register to comment.