Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Banking help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hopefully soon i want to open a debit card acount, now I get a weekly income into my acount i have at the moment, (£30 from EMA) which is for my schooling now I want to be able to transfer tie money from my new debit acount, setting up a weekly transfer, will it be easy or not? as i dont fancy filling out loads of forms to change which account my ema goes into,

any help is appriciated, :)

Comments

• Options
    you have to be 18 to open a current account with a debit card.

they have those solo things, but i don't know much about them, and i'm pretty sure they're just attached to savings accounts.
  • Options
    Well my friends 16 and he has a debit card, i thought since you have no overdraft on a debit card and it goes straight out your bank it'd be ok..
  • Options
    who do you bank with?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    you have to be 18 to open a current account with a debit card.

they have those solo things, but i don't know much about them, and i'm pretty sure they're just attached to savings accounts.

:yes:

solo is similar to switch but is very, very limited and not many places accept it. you cannot get a switch card until you are 18. simple as, no matter which bank you are with.

switch is soon going to be no longer. they are merging with maestro and you will only have a maestro card (not a switch card) but you still have to be 18.
  • Options
    also, for most debit cards you need a regular income, which is usually something like £300 per month minimum.
  • Options
    thanks anyway :(
  • Options
    it's a credit card that you need to be 18 for. A debit card takes the money straight out. You don't need a minimum for the solo card that hsbc and natwest do, i don't know about visa electron.

solo isn't really all that limited, in the mainstream shops loads of people take it!

transferring is simple, you just ask them to set up a standing order for X amount.

alternatively you set up internet banking which links all your accounts as long as they're with the same bank, and therefore easy to transfer different amounts.
  • Options
    they're both be with nationwide so in theory it's a building sociaty
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    you cannot get a switch card until you are 18. simple as, no matter which bank you are with.

Well I'm 17 and have had a Switch/Maestro from HSBC for a fair while.
  • Options
    http://www.askcab.co.uk/money_site/mdebitcarda.asp

Although you have to be aged at least 11 before you are allowed to own a debit card, most types of debit card are not available to under 18s.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    Well I'm 17 and have had a Switch/Maestro from HSBC for a fair while.

surely you shouldn't have. the reason is it's usually a cheque guarantee card too. which you can't do till you're 18...
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    surely you shouldn't have. the reason is it's usually a cheque guarantee card too. which you can't do till you're 18...

This has £100 cheque guarantee book too.

HSBC offer them to anyone over 16 who can prove they earn over £300 per month. And you get a cheque book.
  • Options

but solo and electron are available to under 18s, so it's only really switch that isn't readily available...

ah, i didn't know HSBC did different, but that seems fair enough if you can earn that amount from 16!
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    but solo and electron are available to under 18s, so it's only really switch that isn't readily available...

and visa debit/delta. delta and switch make up the vast majority of debit cards.

solo and electron aren't accepted in nearly as many places.

and yeah, it's fair enough to be given a debit card under 18 if you can prove an income. i've just never heard of it happening with switch cards before. all my working mates had solo or electron.
  • Options
    that;s the one i couldnt remember. so it's about half and half. i've never known an under-18 with switch tho!
  • Options
    The policy of your bank will determine which card you will get.

In general, they will only give proper Debit (switch (maestro) / visa delta ) and / or cheque guarantee cards to people over 18, and since you can use them in certain cases to cause your account to go overdrawn, you would normally have to show proof of income or make a deposit into your account, which will be more than the 30 quid a week.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    The policy of your bank will determine which card you will get.

In general, they will only give proper Debit (switch (maestro) / visa delta ) and / or cheque guarantee cards to people over 18, and since you can use them in certain cases to cause your account to go overdrawn, you would normally have to show proof of income or make a deposit into your account, which will be more than the 30 quid a week.
    Actually peeps its 18 and a half for people who bank with halifax, No matter how much you earn, even then it depends on your credit rating. I couldnt get a switch card even when I was 18 and a half all because I didnt have a credit rating, and guess what I couldnt get a credit rating because they didnt know if I responsible enough to own a switch card. Howard and his halifax chums are pricks.

You can get a visa electron card from barclays which is slightly better than a solo card, I think you can use it to back up a check of no more than 100 pounds.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jinx
    Howard and his halifax chums are pricks.

That they are.

I can't believe anyone banks with them.

For the HSBC and NatWest you can get a Maestro (SWitch to you and me) if you are aged over 16 and earning more than £300/month. Otherwise you're stuck with the craptastic Solo.
  • Options
    its pretty limited until you are 18 with a current account, i work for the bank and ive got a crappy visa electron :(

shouldnt be a problem to get you a current account, however you wont be able to go overdrawn and the intrest will be pretty low until you are 18 and can upgrade it

you can still use telephone and internet banking with most ordinary current accounts and will be able to have a cheque book.

jus msn me if you wanna know more ill do my best
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jinx
    Actually peeps its 18 and a half for people who bank with halifax, No matter how much you earn, even then it depends on your credit rating. I couldnt get a switch card even when I was 18 and a half all because I didnt have a credit rating, and guess what I couldnt get a credit rating because they didnt know if I responsible enough to own a switch card. Howard and his halifax chums are pricks.

oi :mad:

you can have a current account before you are 18, its called cardcash and its just a very simple current account designed so teens dont get into trouble with money etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    That they are.

I can't believe anyone banks with them.

For the HSBC and NatWest you can get a Maestro (SWitch to you and me) if you are aged over 16 and earning more than £300/month. Otherwise you're stuck with the craptastic Solo.

Yeah, thats the deal I have with HSBC.

I'm glad I told Halifax to piss off, they are the most incompetent organisation ever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    Yeah, thats the deal I have with HSBC.

I'm glad I told Halifax to piss off, they are the most incompetent organisation ever.

I had that but then I went to First direct for £25 and a free £500 over draft.
  • Options
    Throughout sixth form i was with Barclays, i had a young persons account and a debit account thing, but it was VisaElectron (not proper visa) i have only ever been in two shops that have not accepted them, and for your age its probably best to stay with that.

You get a cheque book etc but the good thing is that you cannot go overdrawn.

I do not trust myself with money and spending theerfore i have never changed to a proper account, i am happy with this one as it ensures i only spend what i have!

I was also with Alliance and Leister they are very good, for young people, i got 6 issues of bliss when i signed up!