Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Thank God for seatbelts...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well what an experience ive just had.......

So heres the situation, we are in my mate sams car (N reg pergeot 205) coming up to a mini roundabout, we are going about 30mph coming up to a mini roundabout.

We had two options, the first option was to turn left, and the second option was to go straight on, we first decided to turn left, but then we decided to go straight on (bearing in mind we were about 15m away from the roundabout, so plently of time to change direction, we proceed to go straight over this mini roundabout, but we saw a car on the left, turning right to go in the opposite direction to where we were going.

But all of a sudden, out of no-where he decides to pull out and turn right, sam (the driver) had no choice but to suddenly break, but it was too late, we smashed right into the side of him. I was sitting in the front seat and am i glad i was wearing a seat belt, am i glad......, if i hadnt of been wearing a seat belt i would of gone straight through the windscreen and landed on the bonnet somewhere..... If it wasnt for the fact i had a seatbelt on, i would of probably died...., Its a scary thought.

Everyone envolved in the crash is ok (with the exception of chris who now has a disslocated shoulder.) Im a bit shocked up, but im ok..

The car we were in is non fixable, seriously, if you look at the front of the car you will see how bad it is, i dont have a picture but ill probably get one tomorrow.

The police came along, and took everyones details, including mine, and cleared the road of glass (front headlight of our car) surprisingly the other bloke just went off with a small dent in his car... bastard.

Im ok, just a bit shocked up as i was in the front passenger seat....., but seriously if you're reading this, remember this, seatbelts save your life, well at least they did mine, travveling in a car without a seatbelt is plain stupid.

Thats basically it, and what a bloody experience it was, scared the shit out of me.

Ah well, i suppose its a first :/

Comments

• Options
    First and last hopefully.
    I'm always paranoid when I get in the car, making sure I have me seatbelt on as I've been in a car accident before a few years ago. Nothing serious, but enough to make ya realise you don't want to risk it.

Least you're alright :)
  • Options
    Is Sam's car white?
    Originally posted by jake0
    surprisingly the other bloke just went off with a small dent in his car... bastard.

That's always the way with 205's. French & made of tin foil unfortunately so they don't fair too well in accidents.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Like me and my trusty brain wave hat! Nanoo nanoo.

:eek: Whaat that's from that Robin Williams film isn't it?
  • Options
    Thank God for seatbelts...

Yeah! you are so right, I've had 2 accidents where, weirdly i had litteraly put on the seat belt about 2 mins before and then crashed. :eek:

I can honestly say....... I think both times saved my life.

The first time was when i was about 17, i crashed my very first car at about 40 mph into a stationary taxi.....fuck knows how but i did! :0| The car was a total write off but not me or my passengers. (shaken but not stirred) :naughty:

The second time (many many years later) i rolled the car into a ditch (somehow) AND....... I had just put on my seatbelt... REALLY!!!

All in all..... I definately see the need for seatbelts :0) :yes:
  • Options
    #Last night a seatbelt saved my life, doo, doo, doo, doo# :D

I've been in two biggish car accidents and twice the seatbelt prevented me from slamming through the windscreen.

As for your mates car being trashed and the other surviving aren't cars made that way? Crumple zones at the front to absorb as much damage as poss but sturdy at the sides for protection?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    :eek: Whaat that's from that Robin Williams film isn't it?

Na mork and mindy:p
  • Options
    Re: Thank God for seatbelts...

I was always taught from a young age to wear mine, so i do it automatically. Doesn't hurt wearing one so i don't see why so many think they won't bother.
    Originally posted by Charlie'dAngel
    Yeah! you are so right, I've had 2 accidents where, weirdly i had litteraly put on the seat belt about 2 mins before and then crashed. :eek:

I can honestly say....... I think both times saved my life.

The first time was when i was about 17, i crashed my very first car at about 40 mph into a stationary taxi.....fuck knows how but i did! :0| The car was a total write off but not me or my passengers. (shaken but not stirred) :naughty:

The second time (many many years later) i rolled the car into a ditch (somehow) AND....... I had just put on my seatbelt... REALLY!!!

All in all..... I definately see the need for seatbelts :0) :yes:

Well the first time seems that you never learn't, so have you now?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Is Sam's car white?

That's always the way with 205's. French & made of tin foil unfortunately so they don't fair too well in accidents.

.:Crispy:.

yep it was a white 205, 1.8 diesel, it only cost him about £350 ish so hes not really bothered, he was fully comp so he said the insurance will pay out quite a bit. (well at least he hopes)
  • Options
    I don't think i have ever got in a car and not worn my sealtbelt, it would seem weird not too, thats why i dont understand why some people dont wear them they make no difference to you while you are just sitting there so why risk it?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If I'm in the front seat, putting on the seat belt is something I do without thinking for years now. My dad had to crash to learn to do it. Luckily he wasn't that bad.
    On the back seat though I've only recently started wearing it, ever since the time I was with my driving teacher and another guy was driving. The idiot was running like hell to a crossroads and didn't even press the brake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Still bloody hurts though doesn't it? I went on a "seatbelt vs brickwall" simulator at the police fun day over the road when I was little, it was to simulate a crash at 30mph. It's amazing how much it hurts, but of course, a bit of pain accross the chest is nothing compared to death!

i went on one too! i was only about 7, and it scared the living shite out of me.

now i always, always wear a seatbelt. feels too weird not to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    yep it was a white 205, 1.8 diesel, it only cost him about £350 ish so hes not really bothered, he was fully comp so he said the insurance will pay out quite a bit. (well at least he hopes)

why would anyone be so cheap to pay 350 for a car? sounds like a death trap to me

no offence but it does!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    why would anyone be so cheap to pay 350 for a car? sounds like a death trap to me

A Pug 205 with 100k miles on it is perfectly sound, but is worth about 47p in resale.

The price is low because it's old and got a load of miles on it- doesn't mean its not safe.
  • Options
    it stupid that people get killed so easily just for the sake of not wearin a belt :(
  • Options
    Anyone who gets in a car without buckling up deserves what they get.

I even wear belts when I'm travelling on the coach.
  • Options
    I always wear a seatbelt, its just natural to belt up......innit ?

When our Becks was smaller and she was taking a strop saying she wont put her belt on we used to say the car wont start and that the car knows who has belts on and who didnt. When she belted up the car was started straight away........making her beleive what we had said :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    how come trains don't have seatbelts?

They aren't needed- you aren't gonna catapult all the way through ten carriages. The seats are load bearing, so act as crush barriers.

Coaches only carry them because of a spate of coaches carrying children toppling over on motorways. It was a "think of the children" moment.

You will notice that buses don't ever have belts for the driver.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

no offence but it does!

My car cost £50, its only had one previous owner and it drives purfectly. Only things that are wrong with it is the back windscreen wiper doesnt work, the speed omiter(sp) thing wobbles and then dent that some bitch put into it.
  • Options
    I always feel really weird when I don't wear a seatbelt. Sod law being such as it is, the first time I don't wear a seatbelt, I'd crash. Although I don't wear one when I'm in a black cab :/
  • Options
    I normally wear seatbelts, but sometimes I just absentmindedly forget, but this seldom happens (like, if I get in the car and am so tired I'll just half fall asleep).

But yea, if I'm ever gonna have an accident it'll be one of those times I forget to wear a seatbelt. Buckling up is definately a good idea!
  • Options
    I was about to say "serves you right" for driving over the roundabout but I'm taking it it was a painted roundabout.

The buses leaving from the street my school is on all drive right through the roundabouts. Never really thought of it as dangerous.