Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Recipes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im off to uni in less than 2 weeks, and im gonna be cooking for myself.

I cant afford a cook book so post any good but simple recipes/instructions here

please :)

Comments

• Options
    bring to the boil then simmer gently till tender.
  • Options
    anything that comes frozen and all you have to do is heat in the microwave for 3 minutes. They taste like shit but you get used to it :p Or you just get really stoned and don't care. And stick the closest chinese and pizza places on your phone.

But really, pasta is always a good one. Pasta is dead easy to make and then you can buy like 30 different sauces in the grocery store, or even if you are creative make your own (sorry don't have any recipes for you) easy, quick and tastey.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    bring to the boil then simmer gently till tender.

what am i boiling exactly?

Btw everyone i do mean proper meals not stuff like beans on toast and i dont eat microwave meals, and i cant afford take aways
  • Options
    Theres plenty if you do a search on google :p.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Theres plenty if you do a search on google :p.

yeh i know but i cant find anything that doesnt involve some alien ingredients. I want recommended recipes that are simple :(

eta also if every1 did a search on google for answers these boards would be pretty boring
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    yeh i know but i cant find anything that doesnt involve some alien ingredients. I want recommended recipes that are simple :(

eta also if every1 did a search on google for answers these boards would be pretty boring

Gah thats twice today....I WAS JOKING HENCE THE :p.

god
  • Options
    Gah thats twice today....I WAS JOKING HENCE THE :p.

god

yeh but u have to admit, people on here do often get very arsey about these sorts of things so its not suprising i cant tell whos joking and whos not
  • Options
    yeh but u have to admit, people on here do often get very arsey about these sorts of things so its not suprising i cant tell whos joking and whos not

Smilieys usually give the game away to me....now if i used :rolleyes: then i could understand it.
  • Options
    Smilieys usually give the game away to me....now if i used :rolleyes: then i could understand it.

sorry i thought u were trying to be a smarty pants :confused:
  • Options
    sorry i thought u were trying to be a smarty pants :confused:

Nah i don't try to be something i am not ;).
  • Options
    Pasta is always something great to rely on. Can add any sauces ya want.

Get your eggs in for omlettes and french toast. Frozen goods like chicken nuggets, chips, mixed vegetables, etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Pasta is always something great to rely on. Can add any sauces ya want.

Get your eggs in for omlettes and french toast. Frozen goods like chicken nuggets, chips, mixed vegetables, etc.

could u expand on how omlettes and french toast is done ?
  • Options
    Well now, what sort of thing do you like? Plain food, foreign food, healthy food? What kind of kitchen facilities are you going to have access to? Freezer?

I'll give you any help I can if you let me know the above.
  • Options
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56317

koolcat's one is tasty as hell, for the record.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Well now, what sort of thing do you like? Plain food, foreign food, healthy food? What kind of kitchen facilities are you going to have access to? Freezer?

I'll give you any help I can if you let me know the above.

i have an oven, a grill, a fridge, a freezer and a hob.

I also have a frying pan, wok, saucepans, baking and roasting tray things

I like most food but i dont like lamb beef or duck, my favourite meat is chicken and sausages (dont really like pork pork)

I like most vegetables other than sprouts and cabbage

and im also trying to be fairly healthy, u know, 5 a day etc
  • Options
    French Toast

Ingredients:
    Eggs, milk
    bread
    Syrup

Crack eggs into a dish (2-3eggs, depending on how many your serving) and beat lightly. Dip slices of bread into egg mixture; let some of the mixture soak into the bread. Fry on lightly greased pan until lightly browned on both sides. Serve hot with syrup or sugar. Depending on yourself. Is YummY!

Found this from a site as I'm fecking terrible in making omelttes :p
    Omelette

Ingredients:
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. water
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp. butter or margarine

Beat eggs and add water, salt and pepper.
    Melt butter in 8" skillet.
    Add egg mixture to skillet when butter is melted.
    While cooking, gently lift edges so uncooked portion of egg mixture flows underneath cooked portion. You will need to tip pan.
    Repeat procedure until egg is set.
    Fold in half and serve immediately.

Note: With omelettes, anything goes! Try mushrooms, green pepper, chunks of bacon, ham, sausage or other meat, onion, cheese or anything else you have in the fridge. These may be added when eggs are partially set.
  • Options
    oh, and:

http://www.deliaonline.com/

:thumb:
  • Options
    Theres this place called a public house (pub for short) They maybe disguised or jazzed up with colourfull signs, but the give away tell tell sign of a pub is the slightly inebriated old man huddled in the door way; usually responds to "hugh" or "whisky" depending upon his state of consciousness, "whiskey" however works even when hes unconscious.
    My point is one of these will solve all your eating and drinking problems, I hear they now even sell toasties, back in the day I survived off pork scratchings and guiness alone.

Also something of note: you can survive on a pint of guiness and an orange a day.
  • Options
    French Toast

Ingredients:
    Eggs, milk
    bread
    Syrup

Crack eggs into a dish (2-3eggs, depending on how many your serving) and beat lightly. Dip slices of bread into egg mixture; let some of the mixture soak into the bread. Fry on lightly greased pan until lightly browned on both sides. Serve hot with syrup or sugar. Depending on yourself. Is YummY!

Also, instead of the syrup you can sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon which is nice, or have it with salt and ketchup. Good for any meal of the day.

French bread pizza is cheap and easy to make-

Chop one small onion and one clove of garlic, more if you like it, and fry them in a big saucepan in about a tbsp of oil until the onion is soft. Add a tin or two (depends how much you want to make) of chopped tomatoes, half a teaspoon of sugar, a good dollop of tomato ketchup, a tsp of gravy granules (adds a bit more flavour, you can leave it out if you want) and whatever herbs you want. I usually either use mixed herbs or Italian mixed herbs.

Simmer very gently until it's thick. This could take about an hour. You can keep this in the fridge and it freezes. Spread it on French bread top it with a bit of grated cheese and bung it in the oven till it's bubbling. If you haven't got french bread I've done it on toast under the grill before.

Right I'll post some more after wriggling baby is in bed!
  • Options
    oops i forgot to add a very important point

that is i absolutely hate onions! so i will just skip them from any recipes

eta sorry i hate garlic too! other than that :thumb:
  • Options
    Which uni are you going to?

Depending on the area you mght find some cheap places to eat out
  • Options
    i go to lincoln but i dont want to eat out anyway

i like to cook for myself as it works out cheaper and i like cooking

i just dont know of anything to cook other than stir fry, sausages&mash and roasts
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Chicken breast in a BBQ sauce served with roast potatoes and peas. I had it tonight and got the recipe online.
  • Options
    French Toast

Ingredients:
    Eggs, milk
    bread
    Syrup

:eek2: This was always called eggy bread to me! And we ate it savoury with ketchup!!
  • Options
    i live off pasta, noodles, rice, bread, eggs, cheese, tomatoe stuff, chicken, bacon, and olives.

pasta sauces:

bechamel from a pack is easy, or you can now get it in cartons of it, mix with bacon and it's crummy

tinned pureed tomatoes-not tomatoe puree with mushrooms- or chicken but pan fry this dry till white before hand. chopped thinly, the same with half an onion, olives and cheese to go on top....heat all of it for 10 mins -not the cheese and eat

cold pasta and cheese and olives and sun dryed tomatoes is nice....

noodles:

soy sauces are nice, but only when hot.

chicken/bacon chopped up veg and soy sauce in a wok is great...

rice:

don't eat cold rice as it's one of the biggest causes of food poisoning!

but otherwise it goes with anything bar cheesy stuff.

bacon:
    wrapped around sausages with mash or boiled potatoes is nice
    or wrapped round chicken

bacon sarnies?

chicken:

any sauce goes really apart from a few chinese things but i'm allergic to half of them so i stay away from them anyway....

chicken goes with anything really but always check it cooked through to the middle...

eggs:

omletes, scrambled, poached, boiled, with salad, spanish omletes with potatoes.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    :eek2: This was always called eggy bread to me! And we ate it savoury with ketchup!!

I thought I was the only one thinking this. :eek2:
  • Options
    oops i forgot to add a very important point

that is i absolutely hate onions! so i will just skip them from any recipes

eta sorry i hate garlic too! other than that :thumb:

No problem! Mr Miffy and No. 1 son don't like them either.

I imagine potatoes will probably be a big part of your diet, you can bung anything on top of a baked potato. Also these are lovely, eaten with just a bit of salt and ketchup;

Potato Latkes

6 large potatoes
    2 beaten eggs
    4 tbsp self raising flour
    1 tsp salt
    pinch of pepper

Grate the potatoes, put in a colander. Pour over boiling water from the kettle and leave it to drain for about 10 minutes. Then put it in a bowl and mix in all the other ingredients. Heat about a cm of oil in a frying pan, and when it's hot put in dollops of the mixture, about a tablespoonful, flatten it with the back of a spoon. Cook them on a mediumish heat, about 5 mins each side till they're brown. Drain them and eat them at once, they're disgusting cold!

Pancakes are excellent, you can fill them with all kinds of things, not just lemon and sugar. My favourite is ham, cut into small pieces, cubed cheese (I use mozarella but you can use whatever you like) and drained pineapple chunks. This is one of those things where you could throw in anything you have around that you fancy, leftovers and whatever. You fold them up into little parcels and Bake them for about ten minutes.

If you like toad in the hole that's really easy to make, especially if you use batter mix. You can freeze it too so you could make a big one and divide it into three or four, eat one and bung the rest in the freezer.

Pitta breads are another staple, you can freeze them so they're always on hand and you can buy them for peanuts. They're nice filled with egg, tuna, cheese etc for a snack, but I like them with shredded lettuce and hot chicken too. I usually buy Chicken Tonight stir it up's and cook the chicken with that, you don't need a whole jar so it should last two or three lots. My favourites are the Lemon Pepper chicken and Jamaican jerk chicken ones.

One of the easiest puddings I know is bread and butter pudding. I always give the kids this if I want to fill them up. The bread really should be stale or it might turn out a bit slimy. If it's not stale enough you could leave it out on the side unwrapped for an hour or two. This will freeze.

8 slices bread, crusts removed and buttered
    2 oz. currants/sultanas
    4 eggs
    3/4 pint of milk
    4 oz sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon if you've got it
    pinch of nutmeg if you've got it

Cut bread into halves or quarters diagonally, arrange in a greased baking dish layered with currants/sultanas. Beat together the eggs, milk sugar and spices, pour it over the bread and leave it for half an hour so the bread soaks up the custard. Bake it in a low oven about Gas 3 for 35-45 minutes, it should be golden brown, set and crunchy on the top. You could halve this recipe if you wanted to.
  • Options
    Forgot to say, if you can get a sandwich toaster, get one because toasted sandwiches are just about the cheapest hot food I know of. I can do all the kids toasties for about 9p a head!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Potato Latkes

6 large potatoes
    2 beaten eggs
    4 tbsp self raising flour
    1 tsp salt
    pinch of pepper

placki!

:heart:

we grew up on them. probably the only polish food that's actually nice. and doesn't involve cabbage.