Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

why i love london

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
several reasons

1) magic 105.4 - thank god, i wouldn't be able to get to sleep without this
2) the compact times - how else can you read a sensible quality paper on the tube?
3) heathrow, gatwick, luton, stansted, city - five airports within easy access of the city centre can't be bad!
4) the fact that we're in the centre of the rail network, we can effectively get anywhere so easily from here on the train.
5) if you want a visa, how hard is it to get to the embassy or high commission you need?
6) easy access off all the best celebrations - marriages, funerals, jubliees, coronations - you name it, londoners are on the doorstep. and no-one does pomp and ceremony as well as us brits

any more to add?

Comments

• Options
    cos its cool
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    I hate it.

Give me the cuds anyday.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    you buy the compact times most places in the country

as you can with the independant
    and the telegraph
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    you buy the compact times most places in the country

as you can with the independant
    and the telegraph

it was intended to be the london edition i thought, for commuters on the tube

excuse my lack of knowledge on this matter

however, it is still kinda relevant - it was designed for, and is very useful in, london
  • Options
    You can buy them everywhere.

We do have public transport in other parts of the country, y'know.
  • Options
    i think they intended it so normal people could manage reading it, therefore increasing the circulation

the idea was origionally for a london tube size edition, but spread when it realised some people were even swapping from the traditional tabloids
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i think they intended it so normal people could manage reading it, therefore increasing the circulation

the idea was origionally for a london tube size edition, but spread when it realised some people were even swapping from the traditional tabloids

and a bloody good thing too - if you live in the cultural, social and financial capital of europe, or even the world, you should at least read quality news.
  • Options
    Only someone from London could say that it is the centre of the world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Only someone from London could say that it is the centre of the world.

but it is!
  • Options
    i wouldnt say quality news

i would just say news in general

its amazing why people sometimes read all that sensationalist bollox

i do sometimes for a laugh if theres a copy lying about, but i wont buy it
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    but it is!

I rest my case.

Actually, I see you're not even from London, but Essex. Bet you tell everyone you're from London though. :lol:
  • Options
    it isnt. why do you think most people in the centre of london work there rather than live there
  • Options
    Why its bad - takes you ages to get anywhere by car.
  • Options
    There's some decent clothes shops there.
  • Options
    why i love london
    cos i was born there!
  • Options
    the metro newspaper - anyone on tube regular knows what i mean
  • Options
    erm i always love that arguement, i mean would uganda be a fab place if you were born there?

though most city centres are starting to look the same as they all seem to be having the same kinda shops and multi nationals in
  • Options
    Yep, we get the metro out here in the "country" too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    the metro newspaper - anyone on tube regular knows what i mean

you get the metro newspaper all over the country
  • Options
    the free piece of crap with blue banner? on the tibe though, it can make ur day or kill it, depending on whether you get one :p
  • Options
    Yep, we get the metro out here in the "country" too.

yup, we even get it in the frozen north.
  • Options
    I rest my case.

Actually, I see you're not even from London, but Essex. Bet you tell everyone you're from London though. :lol:

Actually, I am on the very border, so I am in London. However, I put South West Essex because it sounds so much better than East London.

I voted for the mayor, I voted for the London Assembly, I voted for the London candidates for the European Parliament. I live in a London borough. I am under the Metropolitan Police. My town is on the Underground. I get Magic. The only person who says i'm not in London is the Royal Mail.
  • Options
    well my parents have a durham city district address, and telephone number

yet live well into another district :P

and from the stories if essex ive heard, doesnt make it sound any better, id stick with been from the capital ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    well my parents have a durham city district address, and telephone number

yet live well into another district :P

and from the stories if essex ive heard, doesnt make it sound any better, id stick with been from the capital ;)

trust me, what you think is an essex accent isn't

TRUE essex people talk like folks from gloucestershire.

what people think of as the essex girl accent is actually the east london accent - except it's kinda migrated to chelmsford and contaminated us all
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Fuck the colour grey, fuck the concrete, fuck car fumes, and fuck London. It stinks. Give me green, give me trees, give me clean air and even give me horse shit.

The city is so stressful, life where I live is so much more chilled. :yes:
    Going to London is like going on holiday - it's nice to visit but you're glad you don't live there.

It makes me appreciate where I live now. I used to be a Southampton city boy but now I never want to go back to living in an urban area.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Re: why i love london

3) heathrow, gatwick, luton, stansted, city - five airports within easy access of the city centre can't be bad!
    6) easy access off all the best celebrations - marriages, funerals, jubliees, coronations - you name it, londoners are on the doorstep. and no-one does pomp and ceremony as well as us brits

Luton Airport is in Luton, which is in Bedfordshire, Stansted is very awkward to get to unless you want to take suitcases on the tube and most people have no idea where London City is.

And why is how people celebrate in London a measure of how people around the country celebrate things? London may be the financial centre, but it's by no means the best place in Britain.
  • Options
    erm is it any reason as to be london wasnt shortlisted as one of the european capitals of culture

i think the race was between newcastle and liverpool in the end, liverpool won, justifiably though, as while i dont like the culture there, there be plenty of it
  • Options
    Re: Re: why i love london
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Luton Airport is in Luton, which is in Bedfordshire, Stansted is very awkward to get to unless you want to take suitcases on the tube and most people have no idea where London City is.

And why is how people celebrate in London a measure of how people around the country celebrate things? London may be the financial centre, but it's by no means the best place in Britain.

Luton Airport is an anomaly, yes. However, i doubt it's difficult for normal people to shoot half an hour up the M11...

London is essentially where everything happens, you can't avoid it. The great thing is that we know how to organise things down here.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: why i love london

The great thing is that we know how to organise things down here.

Are all of us bumpkins in the barron area they call the Midlands incapable neadrathals then?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: why i love london
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Are all of us bumpkins in the barron area they call the Midlands incapable neadrathals then?

well, i did laugh at the dead ringers 'help northerners' sketch - although i do not think this does reflect northerners at all