Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

New HI-MD (Minidisc)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got a new Hi-MD? I was just about to go out and spend €300 on the new Hi-MD 900 and was wondering if anyone has actually used one - minidisc forums obviously say they are great but I wouldn't mind an independent opinion. And I heard that the 1g discs for them are still not available - is this true?

Comments

• Options
    wow never new they even existed, think MD is a dead horse though.

Sony always managed to come up with great ideas and then ruin them cos of their closed systems.

I have a MiniDisk player in my car, got it about 5 / 6 years ago but pain in the neck putting song on a Minidisc, bit easier now with the USB ones but still not perfect system at all.

Plus minidisc wear out after a certain amount of time, have a few now that skip at certain points in a song.
  • Options
    i'm after a hi-md... think ipod but with as much hard disk space as you could ever want/need.

it'll have to be the top of the range one.

i've had various minidisc players and all have lived a long and full life, one was abused so much the case was twisted and it'd only play lying flat but hey, 3 years isn't bad!

make sure you take out extended warranty on it...
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Plus minidisc wear out after a certain amount of time, have a few now that skip at certain points in a song.

open them up and clean them, dust/dirt still gets inside...
  • Options
    Hi-MD's really are the way forward, in my eyes

I prefer to have a collection of discs, each with songs by the same artist (i.e- all of their albums). Hi-MD will make it a lot easier for the entire productions of an artist to be stored onto one disk.
    Also- if you want to store a mix of music.... you can store excessive amounts, which you will probably never get bored with.

If you ask me, I-pod's and MP3 players are lame. This capacity is limited and the quality can often be poor.

In conclusion- get a Hi-MD
  • Options
    well i just sold my old MD equipment so I think i am going to get a new HI-MD. i have never had any problems with the discs getting scratched etc. I really like removable media - i don't like the idea of having all my music in a little box a la iPod - and there's something a bit yuppy-ish about ipod's now - they are like an executive accessory or something.

I am thinking of getting the 900 model but if you go to this link, (http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=941) you'll see the top of the line model which looks real sweet. 459 dollars is about 370 euro - but i swear i saw it for 359 on the same website recently - i will shop around some more before I buy. The 900 model, which is the 2nd best one is 370 euro here in Dublin in shops - so for the same dough i can get the top of the line one. Shows what a rip off shops are compared to webshops.

These things sound great - 1gb discs which is 45 hours of music at good quality but I have heard discs are not commonly available yet. Sony always feck these things up with dodgy software etc but what comes with it is Sonicstage 2 which is pretty good - not great, but usable. Also you can store .jpg files and word doc's on the discs. With an iPod etc you have a finite amount of storage space - with Hi-MD, you just buy another disc!

If anyone has a Hi-Md unit please let me know how it's working out for you. I'll probably buy mine at end of month.
  • Options
    be aware that the 45 hours of music will be recorded at less than fantastic quality.... just shy of your regular mp3 quality.

but then if you've been listening to crappily encoded mp3 tracks for a long time then you won't be able to tell the difference ;)
  • Options
    i thought that 45 hours was based on recording at 66kps in Atrac 3+, which was meant to be ok - better than the old Atrac MD's used. Well even if you have to up the kps and reduce the capacity a bit - say record at 130 kps and get 20 odd hours on one md - that sounds ok to bananaman. then again - i wouldnt mind a quick listening test before i buy this beauty - just in case its not all its cracked up to be. anyone listened to one yet?
  • Options
    go into any decent store that sells them and ask to listen to one with tracks recorded at varying qualities.

if they say 'no' walk out.

if they'll happily let you listen to/play with one then you know it's the right place to buy from.
  • Options
    If you want to know anything about Minidiscs then check out www.minidisc.org - I just tried and it seems to be down.