Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

IP Address

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why would one want a static IP address???

Comments

• Options
    can use your computer as a ftp or web server then....
  • Options
    Or games server. I prefer a dynamic IP, plus mines masked any way, I'm not bothered.
  • Options
    How can I mask my IP address - the IT Boy mumbled something about a personal firewall when i asked.
  • Options
    Multi Proxy

Proxy list - choose an anonymous proxy

Read bottem FAQ What is a proxy server
  • Options
    what exactly are you trying to achieve by masking your IP address?

If you want to surf the web without the sites knowing your true identity then more often than not you'll have to pay money to a third party who'll proxy your data, most of the "free" proxys are often very slow, and are setup to stop you posting data onto webpages.

There are various places on the internet that'll provide you with an "anonymous" tunnel to pass your internet browsing through, try google.

however if you're worried about hackers then you're probably being a little paranoid, nearly all the time your computer will be probed for vunerabilities in the software that your computer is running by oportunist hackers, they tend to scan entire port ranges to discover such machines but there isn't anything really to worry about unless you're running the original windows 95 or something daft, Just make sure your XP install is up to date and you scan from time to time for viruses and trojans.

Static IP's are desirable for various reasons, it's mainly a business thing, some businesses will want a static ip to setup secure wide area networks over the internet, or they (for some daft reason) want to host a website (or indeed ftp server) on their dsl connection. If the IP is static they can point a domain name, like www.mywebsite.com to their IP Address 123.456.789.00 and wont have to worry about changing the IP address the www.domain points at. however such a setup is easily managed on a dynamic connection using programs such as dynip, or dynds which use a windows client that will detect when the WAN ip address has changed and tell the nameserver about the IP change automatically.

also with static IP's some ISP's will allow you to change the reverse dns on an ip address, normally when you do a lookup on a home DSL connection you'll get something like 123-456-789.theirisp.com , and a static ip in this case would simply allow the user to change it to whatever.theirdomain.com.

ahem yes.
  • Options
    I just don't want my ip address logged when I am looking at a website - it kind of creaps me out that if somone knows my IP address then they can check up on me.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    what exactly are you trying to achieve by masking your IP address?

If you want to surf the web without the sites knowing your true identity then more often than not you'll have to pay money to a third party who'll proxy your data, most of the "free" proxys are often very slow, and are setup to stop you posting data onto webpages.

There are various places on the internet that'll provide you with an "anonymous" tunnel to pass your internet browsing through, try google.

however if you're worried about hackers then you're probably being a little paranoid, nearly all the time your computer will be probed for vunerabilities in the software that your computer is running by oportunist hackers, they tend to scan entire port ranges to discover such machines but there isn't anything really to worry about unless you're running the original windows 95 or something daft, Just make sure your XP install is up to date and you scan from time to time for viruses and trojans.

Static IP's are desirable for various reasons, it's mainly a business thing, some businesses will want a static ip to setup secure wide area networks over the internet, or they (for some daft reason) want to host a website (or indeed ftp server) on their dsl connection. If the IP is static they can point a domain name, like www.mywebsite.com to their IP Address 123.456.789.00 and wont have to worry about changing the IP address the www.domain points at. however such a setup is easily managed on a dynamic connection using programs such as dynip, or dynds which use a windows client that will detect when the WAN ip address has changed and tell the nameserver about the IP change automatically.

also with static IP's some ISP's will allow you to change the reverse dns on an ip address, normally when you do a lookup on a home DSL connection you'll get something like 123-456-789.theirisp.com , and a static ip in this case would simply allow the user to change it to whatever.theirdomain.com.

ahem yes.

Mines fine, been using the same lot for quite a while, no problems there.

EDIT: will say they are a little slower while browsing tho like noog says.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    I just don't want my ip address logged when I am looking at a website - it kind of creaps me out that if somone knows my IP address then they can check up on me.......

not if your system is secured properly
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Multi Proxy

Proxy list - choose an anonymous proxy

Read bottem FAQ What is a proxy server

Thank you for all of this info - so basically I can choose a random IP address which won't necessarily be traced back to me - does this mean I will always have the same IP address or will I beable to have several so that they change each time I log on?
  • Options
    Just read through the FAQ's, there's a bit there that will help you.

For further reading I would advise you read the following links:

Masking my true IP with a proxy

Legal Info Regarding Using Open Proxies

How a proxy server works

Anonymity - Proxies - Scanning Proxies - Proxy Chains