Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Smokers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Smokers and Non Smokers, what do you think?

i dont smoke but i think that the age should be increased but then again how do you go about make it illegal for people to stop smoking when the law comes into force when 16 and 17 years olds will be already addicted to the nicotine and find it hard to quit.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I think there's a strapping thread on this in the Politics and Debate forum, just you are too scared to go in there. =p
  • Options
    Seems fair enough to me. Apparantly your responsible enough to give yourself lung cancer at 16 but you cant do much else until your 17 or 18.
  • Options
    I agree with the idea, raise the age until after college is finished and you cut out a lot of the times where many people will be normally exposed to peers smoking.
  • Options
    I think you should be allowed to smoke whenever you want and where ever you want. It's only smoke.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    I think you should be allowed to smoke whenever you want and where ever you want. It's only smoke.

:rolleyes:

Ever heard of passive smoking pal? You might want to get lung cancer but some of us dont.
  • Options
    Not a bad idea I think. I'm a non-smoker but 90% of me family are smokers. As me parents as examples; only reason they started smoking was cause they thought the other was a smoker when they first got togther. Me ma finally stopped after 40 odd years but me dad still smokes one after the other.

Bringing the legal age to 18 could give them a chance to realise it aint all what it cracks up to be and some won't be as interested to smoke as they grow out of that phase by then to not care about 'Fitting In'
  • Options

Isn't it like, the leading cause of lung/mouth cancer? Only smoke isn't a great description tbh.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    If you aint old enough to vote you shouldn't be old enough to make the decision to smoke. Thing is nobody can enforce the law as it stands and it aint going to make a difference increasing it to 18.

A proper education about the dangers of smoking would be much more effective than a change of law.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    How exactly do they plan on enforcing this new age limit then? Because judging by the amount of kids I see sparking up, and many of them as young as ten, they don't do a very good job of restricting it to over 16 year olds. I'd say 16 and 17 year olds are going to pretty much do whatever they want to do re: smoking, much in the same way a huge amount of the people you see out drinking in bars and clubs are 16/17 (or younger).

As a smoker I do think there needs to be some kind of restriction on smoking in public places, but to be honest I think it's already sufficiently inplace. More and more restaurants, cafes etc are becoming non-smoking, and even if they're not then smokers are always relegated to some distant corner behind ten pillars and a big potted plant like the social pariahs they are :p I think it's absolutely ridiculous to ban smoking in pubs and clubs...let's face it, the majority of the people going there aren't concerned about the other things they put into their body (take that as you will) so it's a bit hypocritical to harp on about smoking ruining their night etc. I do know that everyone is entitled to an opinion though, of course.

Anyhoo, some of that might be valid if this was a thread about passive smoking, which it is not. Back on topic, I think raising the age will do fuck all to combat any smoking-related problem (health, social or otherwise) and is just another instance of the government making up new legislation and laws to avoid addressing any real matters of interest :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous to ban smoking in pubs and clubs...let's face it, the majority of the people going there aren't concerned about the other things they put into their body (take that as you will) so it's a bit hypocritical to harp on about smoking ruining their night etc. I do know that everyone is entitled to an opinion though, of course.

Actually, when I go out I know I am drinking alcohol and that but i can still complain about smoke. I always come out of the bars reeking of cigarette smoke and it makes my else feel bad. Lets not go into the effect it has on asthama and the like. I see no reason why smoking shouldnt be banned in bars and clubs.
  • Options
    Does anyone start smoking over the age of sixteen anyway? Changing the age at which you can buy cigarettes does seem pointless.

I do, however, agree with penalising shopkeepers who sell cigarettes to people who are obviously under 16. My local shopkeeper, as cool as he is, sold a packet to a twelve year old girl who clearly wasn't sixteen. Her brother came in a couple of minutes later, told the guy she was twelve, and the shopkeeper just looked back blankly and said "She said she was at college!".
  • Options
    It's only smoke.

yes, and bullets are only metal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Actually, when I go out I know I am drinking alcohol and that but i can still complain about smoke. I always come out of the bars reeking of cigarette smoke and it makes my else feel bad. Lets not go into the effect it has on asthama and the like. I see no reason why smoking shouldnt be banned in bars and clubs.

Obviously I have no idea how smoky nightclubs and bars are, because I'm in my own smoky world when I happen to be in one. So I won't comment any further on it, other than to say I think it's a right I don't think should be taken away (but I would say that) ;) . Also, if there is a smoking ban enforced in the UK, I think it should be at bar/club owners' discretion. Off the point, now.

One good thing about pubs etc being non-smoking would be the reduction in "social smokers" which is what most of my smoking friends are. They only light up when they're having a drink and I'm sure they wouldn't persist with it if it was to be banned. Can't see most of them smoking waiting for a bus etc, it's strictly an alcohol thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous to ban smoking in pubs and clubs...let's face it, the majority of the people going there aren't concerned about the other things they put into their body (take that as you will) so it's a bit hypocritical to harp on about smoking ruining their night etc. I do know that everyone is entitled to an opinion though, of course.

I go to quite a few pubs, but I don't drink alcohol, so that point really isn't relevant to me! Besides, even if I did drink, that is only something which I can do to harm myself (in terms of drinking in a public place)... I object to not having a choice of whether I want to risk lung cancer and allsorts of other nasties due to others addictions. I went to Ireland recently on holiday, and the ban on smoking in pubs was, quite literally, a breath of fresh air. It was so nice to come back from a night out and not absolutely stink, which was especially important to me since we were camping! Also, it was very nice to wake up in the morning with a clear head... I don't drink, but I still manage to get 'hangovers' when I go to smoky pubs... this didn't happen in smoke-free Ireland :D
    Anyway, sorry to get on my soapbox, it isn't a personal attack on anyone, smoking's just one of these things I have strong opinions on!
  • Options
    I was only fucking about.

I think the legal age for smoking should be raised to 18, it's a very harmful drug and very addicitive. If the legal age is 16 then a 12/13 year old can easily get cigs.
  • Options
    There arn't many non smoking bars or clubs simply because there isn't a market for it. People don't care enough.
    I almost certainly wouldn't go to a pub or club where I couldn't smoke but I do believe that a partial ban on smokign in public is a good idea - just not every pub or every club.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    There arn't many non smoking bars or clubs simply because there isn't a market for it.

I live near the first non smoking pub in the north east and it's always packed. I don't know whether it was always packed before that though. I'd certainly love it if my local were non smoking but it won't ever happen so I just try to sit away from where people are smoking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I live near the first non smoking pub in the north east and it's always packed. I don't know whether it was always packed before that though. I'd certainly love it if my local were non smoking but it won't ever happen so I just try to sit away from where people are smoking.

Cool, I didn't know there were any in the North-East. What's it called?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I live near the first non smoking pub in the north east and it's always packed

That's good.

I don't want to see people 'having' to sit in smoked filled pubs when they really loathe it - and I also don't want an all out ban on smoking in pubs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    if people wanna smoke then they will. the same with sex, drugs, what ever. you cna't stop them with an age restriction, it's not gonna stop people. they will always find a way....
  • Options
    A pub isn't a pub where you can't have a cig in though, I live in the North and with the ban in the south in public places you actually do think twice about going somwhere where you can't smoke.
  • Options
    I do think its a good idea. But maybe thats coz i smoke and will be 18 in 2 months :D
  • Options
    not to sure about the age thing, people will still find a way to get them anyway.
    But it definately should be banned in all pubs, clubs, and in fact anywhere indoors, where the smoke lingers.
    I dont like going out and then when i get home feeling really dirty cos i reek of smoke, and i dont like waking up the next morning wheezing.
    Its disgusting!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    But it definately should be banned in all pubs, clubs, and in fact anywhere indoors, where the smoke lingers.

That's a selfish attitude. What we need is a balance. Choice.

What takes the piss is that people can buy one of the most addictive and harmful drug known to mankind at the age of sixteen, the government making a mint on tax - and yet there are people getting locked up for getting caught with a couple of gurners at the weekend.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    That's a selfish attitude. What we need is a balance. Choice.

And its not selfish when people come near me with a fag on, burn me, prevent me from breathing properly, affect my asthma, make me stink, and threaten me with mouth, throat and lung cancer?
  • Options
    And its not selfish when people come near me with a fag on, burn me, prevent me from breathing properly, affect my asthma, make me stink, and threaten me with mouth, throat and lung cancer?

Yeah, 'cause i mean they actually start purposely trying to set fire to you, start shouting "I'M GONNA GIVE YOU THROAT CANCER!!!", Purposely ignore the badge you always wear saying "please keep your smoke away, i have asthma", etc.
  • Options

Why can we not have both smoking and non smoking pubs?
    I think you'll find most smokers would be happy with this.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Why can we not have both smoking and non smoking pubs?
    I think you'll find most smokers would be happy with this.

I know which one I'd rather be the landlord of. [/irrelevant]
  • Options
    People should be allowed to smoke where they like, its their health. If you don't like it, don't fucking sit next to me. Fucktard.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blackraven
    People should be allowed to smoke where they like, its their health. If you don't like it, don't fucking sit next to me. Fucktard.

u may quite easily accept killing yourself (sooner than later) but i think it makes u a selfish person if u can accept killing people around you too.

Its not possible to go in a pub and keep away from a smoker cos it fills the air.
    Dont see why i should stay in because some retard wants to waste his/her/its money on fags
    You should stay in and keep your disgusting habit to yourself, rotter!

Back on topic, if there were good smoking and non smoking pubs it would be fairer.