Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling Faint... :-(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is something that has arisen recently, and is REALLY worrying me.

In July, during a first aid session, I fainted at school. I had been worried about fainting beforehand, and this actually brought it on.

In thought I was OK after this, but twice in the past few days I have been sitting doing nothing, and my mind has wandered. I think "oh no, i can't feel faint here, it's too inconvenient". Then of course I started to feel faint - today I actually had to go out of assembly in front of the whole school.

The problem is that I bring it on myself - I am worried about fainting and being embarrassed, which causes me to feel faint. It's now got to the stage where I'm almost scared of going to any lessons, in case something happens.

I've got to do something - I need to find a way to stop the thoughts of fainting, but the problem is that once I've first thought of it, I can't stop, and it snowballs into something big. :-( :-( :-(

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by openup:
    This is something that has arisen recently, and is REALLY worrying me.

In July, during a first aid session, I fainted at school. I had been worried about fainting beforehand, and this actually brought it on.

In thought I was OK after this, but twice in the past few days I have been sitting doing nothing, and my mind has wandered. I think "oh no, i can't feel faint here, it's too inconvenient". Then of course I started to feel faint - today I actually had to go out of assembly in front of the whole school.

The problem is that I bring it on myself - I am worried about fainting and being embarrassed, which causes me to feel faint. It's now got to the stage where I'm almost scared of going to any lessons, in case something happens.

I've got to do something - I need to find a way to stop the thoughts of fainting, but the problem is that once I've first thought of it, I can't stop, and it snowballs into something big. :-( :-( :-(

Although I don't have an answer for the fainting, it does look like it's becoming a phobia for you, it might be an idea to think about hypnosis. In the meantime you ought to visit your doctor to find out if you have a physical reason for fainting.
  • Options

Fainting could be caused by low blood pressure/sugar levels, both of which are generally autonomic but can be effected by what you're feeling at the time.

Get yourself checked out by your Doc for the physical reasons why, once you know you can take positive steps to stop it happening you'll feel more in control.
  • Options
    I've been to the doctor and there's no physical problem, it's all mental. They've referred me to someone else, but that could take weeks.

I still feel terrified every morning, because of the fear of fainting. I'm also scared of what it could stop me doing in the future. People tell me not to think about it, but it's impossible! Are there any tips for stopping thinking about something?