Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

cocaine as a 'social drug'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok maybe I'm weird or something but I just don't get how cocaine is used so much socially now.
I was round my friends house the other night after the pub and everyone was sitting around doing a few lines of coke, drinking a few beers and whatever.. anyway I just can't seem to see it as a social kinda drug? To me cocaine is more of a dependency drug, I went through quite a long stage of using it alot, but used it as more of a wake-up call or before I went out, not like just a pointless line now and again with my mates.

I mean I know it costs quite a bit so isn't gonna be an everyday drug for everyone, but I can't really see the point of occasional use of it. I just find it weird.

Is it just a youth culture kinda thing? It's a little bit more expensive and so more desirable? I find it hard to see it in such a recreational kind of light.
Does anyone know what I mean or am I talking shit?:confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think a lot of people just see it as a gentle stimulant which they use to take away the sedative nature of alcohol. Of course its not just a gentle stimulant and its use with alcohol is quite dangerous.
    It's just it's become very easy to get and it's not overly dear anymore, £45 per gram. That price will go down too.
    There's something about the word too, Cocaine. It's hard to explain. I've only tried coke once and found it didn't last long enough, i wouldn't go around wasting £45 when i could get 20 pills for it.
    ^^ i agree with you shogun.

my 2 pals last night tried coke for the first time with drink of course and loved it, and they gave me alittle line of it as well, and it was gud but thats the 2nd time ive tried it and i still dont rate it. after a few hours tho they were like 'i could do with some more' one of them has only been on alcohol and cannabus since foreva and said he wouldnt touch anything but he said he wanted to try just cocaine just to see what it was like, now hes going to take once in a while:rolleyes: it will soon be a wknd thing i know it but he says it wont. i wud say it is a social drug it just makes people talk and have a better laugh, its just when people have too much off both of them then thats when the trouble starts IME that ive seen.
    coke makes you a bit of a twat, personally if im going out to try and be social its much better to get pissed.

The best time Iv had on coke has been sitting in and playing my sad little computer game,

"another line before I defeate the attacking army,,,, why not"
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It has been mentioned before, but such a risk is worth mentioning again. There is evidence that cocaine and alcohol, when taken together, form a third substance in the liver. This is called Cocaethylene, which compounds the danger each drug poses - researchers have found that cocaethylene, whilst intensifying cocaine's euphoric effects, increases the risk of sudden death.

I found some of this info on this page, but it is quite wordy.
    Its also harder on the body and more addictive, so a bad idea all round really.

Though the 'sudden death' thing may have more to do with the drugs effect on the rational decision making process than the physical effect on the body. "I can jump that fence, cross that road, fight that man...etc"
    Re: cocaine as a 'social drug'
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    Ok maybe I'm weird or something but I just don't get how cocaine is used so much socially now.
    I was round my friends house the other night after the pub and everyone was sitting around doing a few lines of coke, drinking a few beers and whatever.. anyway I just can't seem to see it as a social kinda drug? To me cocaine is more of a dependency drug, I went through quite a long stage of using it alot, but used it as more of a wake-up call or before I went out, not like just a pointless line now and again with my mates.

I mean I know it costs quite a bit so isn't gonna be an everyday drug for everyone, but I can't really see the point of occasional use of it. I just find it weird.

Is it just a youth culture kinda thing? It's a little bit more expensive and so more desirable? I find it hard to see it in such a recreational kind of light.
    Does anyone know what I mean or am I talking shit?:confused:

I can't say I hold the same opinion, although i know what you mean by a dependency drug...its the type of thing that can take hold of you if you don't watch yourself.

A lot of people don't like coke for 3 main reasons -

Its public image (associated with people such as angus deaton and that "cad" fella who was shagging princess diana); its relatively subtle nature compared to drugs like mdma; the fact its subtlety can be compounded by its lack of purity on the street.

I think to say cocaine use is a part of today's youth culture is probably not completely true...although certainly with the whole football casual thing/look/attitude becoming popular you can expect coke use to come with that.
    It's becoming more common amongst 16-18 year olds in my area. About a quarter of my year had at least tried it by the time they left school, and I know a lot of people who have gone onto heavier use. I still use it pretty regularly, and I will admit it has got me by the bollocks because I find it too damn nice.

My 16 year old brother told me last week he had tried it for the first time while on holiday with his mates. Couldn't tell him off because I'd be seen as a hypocrite so just warned him to be very very careful. Addiction runs in the family.