Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

6th form no go?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi.

On thursday I went o my enrolment morning at school and ended up breaking down in tears infront of my new form tutor because she was (as everyone is) unhappy about my options.

At GCSE I just got 2 A*'s, 4 A's and 5 B's. For A level I chose to do Sociology, Phsycology, 6 Unit vocational Health and Social Care and General Studies.

After that incident on Thursday I got very depressed (as I do when I get worried- I worry a lot) and I'm not so sure I actually want to go to 6th form after all. However; I know I got good grades and A levels are necessary for most things these days and the school is in my village.

However; I dont know if anyone read my previous post on this board (if you do it might make more sense) but I have spent the best part of a year looking at all the options involved with FE. I nearly left school altogether to do Childcare (on the job trainning- I couldn't cope with a change to college)

See I'm a very quiet girl, I go to church, prefer to stay in than go out etc.

One thing I realised on enrolment day was how 'slow' the health classes would be because of the grades of the people in the lesson- I think I will be bored out of my brain (i'm the only person from 'red strand' (the top half of the year group) taking the subject; and as it is everyone else is taking the double and I've requested to do the single award.

Anyway; I've slept a total of 3 hours since Thursday and now I have a suggestion for next year:

- Attend school as a part-time student to study Pyschology and Sociology (and maybe general studies)
- use the rest of the time to get placements at nurseries/schools/creches to do a Childcare NVQ.

I've come up with this because at school you have to attend for each registration (morning and afternoon) and stay in school all day. I've always planned on doing way more stuff out of school than in school, and I'm not really great friends with anyone.

By replacing the H+SC with Childcare I get my independance, meet new people and get qualified in something employable.

I dont have a clue if the school will let me do this; I have to wait until Monday to find out (we are due to go back on Tuesday....) if they would then I would be happy; if not I haven't got a clue what I would do as I am now (obviousyl) dead worried about full-time 6th form and dont want to go back to it on Tuesday.

PLEASE could anyone/everyone take a mo to let me know what you think/if you know anyone who has done something similar etc etc
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I forgot to add that the lessons would take up 24 out of 60 timetable slots- leaving ALOT of time for study and placements.

And inthe future I have career ideas around: Midwifery (yes I checked the entry requirements- you can do it on just GCSE's) Childcare, Early Years etc. I do not plan to leave home and go away to university as I have never yet been on a school trip (I have spent a couple of nights away from my home and family- but no more than about 4/5 I dont like it yet)

And I usually only suceed in things I want to do. The thing I would probably do if I was forced to go full-time to school would be that if I had a bad lesson I'd just walk out the door as soon as I could get to it and not go back. Simple. Accept I would be a school drop out with few options and I'd rather have a few options than none)
    If you take subjects that are beneath your ability then that could have serious repercussions for your future career, depending on what those plans are. Taking academic subjects, and following that lead, would enable you to get higher up the career chain when you come to entre your chosen field.

If you want to follow this plan then do so, but I would highly recommend talking to a Connexions or careers advisor about what you want to do and what you want to achieve. After good GCSEs a drop into a lower caluibre of course could affect your employability, and it shows a certain lack of ambition.

School would not be your only option of FE either, so bear this in mind. If you are unhappy with your school then a move to a college fo further education could be a good move.
    Didnt want to be the first one to say it but you should be doing some more challenging courses. A-levels never did nobody no harm and there is plenty of time left till you retire to volenter/do something else.

Its easier to do some hardcore a-levels now and then do the other stuff than the other way round.....

Want to feel challenged? sign up for Maths, physics, Geography and then a Social Science type thing. the mix will keep your brain hyper in differant directions and deffo not cut down your options!

Bopz
    Yeah, do the A Levels while you decide on an exact career. Opens more doors for you later in life.
    Originally posted by Kath2003
    Yeah, do the A Levels while you decide on an exact career. Opens more doors for you later in life.

Seconded. Get the best you can, and go from there. It doesn't hurt to be over qualified.
    I did 6 unit AVCE H&S care. I wouldn't say it was an easy subject by any means! There were some really clever people in my class, and btw, the 'A' stands for 'advanced'. Surely the ones who didn't get very good GCSE results would be doing an NVQ or something? Sorry, I'm not really clued up about these things.

AVCE H&S care is an academic subject, it also gives you an a-level in a year.
    I didn't go back yet. Saw a teacher on MOnday who said I was too ill to consider it right now. Saw a doctor on Tuesday who said get some sleep and gave me sleeping tablets. Cant have any tonight though. Dont know what to do.

H+S is NOT academic. That is why it is called Advanced V (VOCATIONAL) Certificate of Education.

Teacher says I could go back if I get better....dont know how to get better as doc didn't diganose. Only reason I'm ill is because of school.

Feel I couldn't not ever go back. Want to go back for a reason other than to please/see this teacher though...
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    It doesn't hurt to be over qualified.

i disagree. i'm finding it very hard to get a job right now because everyone thinks i'm over-qualified. or under-experienced. the people who are getting the jobs that i'm going for are the people my age who never went to uni and have 3 or 4 solid years experience under their belt. in the vast majority of jobs, experience is more desirable than qualifications.

i may be the only one who thinks this, but you shouldn't force yourself to do subjects that make you ill. if you've decided you want a career in childcare/midwifery/whatever, then do it. don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't do.

if you decide later in life that you want a different career, then your might need to retrain. as long as you understand that now i don't see the problem.

if you carry on the way you are now, you'll just get iller and iller and come out with nothing. do something that you're comfortable with.
    Originally posted by notebookkt
    H+S is NOT academic. That is why it is called Advanced V (VOCATIONAL) Certificate of Education.

Yeh, i know. But I fail to see how it isn't classed as being academic. The only non-academic part was a 1 weeks' work experience. Or am I just getting the wrong end of the stick when it comes to defining 'academic'?
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i disagree. i'm finding it very hard to get a job right now because everyone thinks i'm over-qualified. or under-experienced. the people who are getting the jobs that i'm going for are the people my age who never went to uni and have 3 or 4 solid years experience under their belt.

There's a difference between over-qualified and under-experienced but they aren't mutually exclusive. You don't have the experience, you can't blame employers for wanting some. It doesn't mean that your qualifications are what's scaring employers off though.
    There's a difference between over-qualified and under-experienced but they aren't mutually exclusive. You don't have the experience, you can't blame employers for wanting some. It doesn't mean that your qualifications are what's scaring employers off though.

apparently they are.

i'm with an employment agency atm, and the boss lady (we're kinda mates) says that when she mentions my experience (i do have some) they're more than willing to take me on, but then when she mentions i have a degree, they lose interest.

in fact, i know someone who graduated last year who was in the same situation - couldn't get a job for love nor money. then she sent off a few CVs with just her GCSE and A level results, work experience, left off her degree and said she'd taken 3 years off to have a baby.

she got interview for 3 out of the 5 vacancies she applied for. same kind of jobs, same everything.

true story.
    Disconcerting, have you tried going for a better job?
    Disconcerting, have you tried going for a better job?

see, that's where the problem lies. all the better jobs want at least 3 years experience. i have about 18 months, all in, and i'm quite happy to start at the bottom and work my way up, but the 'bottom' job people don't want me because i'm too qualified, and usually too old = more expensive.

i'm sure eventually something will turn up, it's just you are told all the way through your education that a degree is the passport to a good job, and it's just not true.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    a degree is the passport to a good job, and it's just not true.

The thing is, it is, but not immediately.

In the initial job hunt a degree is a bit of a hindrance, but ten years down the line when you are going for the toppest of top jobs a degree is required. Then the people who never went to university get left behind.
    firstly you should continue school as you know that you have good grades, i mean its mainly retards who got grades C who tend to leave school for work.
    many people who leave school for work is just to fund their social lives such as dringking, clubbing, but seing as you dont do that then you could wait after you finishg school for work, i mena you haev about 50 years of work to look forward to!

people say that "academic" people earn up to 30% more money that labourers etc

i think that the you should do more conventiuonal subjects and the one that isnt an A-level is generally targetted for people who dont qualify for A-level

well i hope that it all goes well.
    if you want to work then try to get one that is on the weekend

take care, dont lose sleep over it

(by the way what college you go to? is it in london or kent?) im about to start just wondering