Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

MDF File

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Does anyone know what an mdf file is? I know that it is something relating to SQL databases but is it a database file with the actual database contents or is it a log file or something else?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Medium Density Fibreboard... j/k ;)

It is a Primary Data File created by SQL 7.

More info from the MS KB:

Every database has at least two files, a primary file and a transaction log file.

Although os_file_name can be any valid operating-system file name, the name more clearly reflects the purpose of the file if you use the following recommended extensions.
    File type Recommended file name extension
    Primary data file .mdf
    Secondary data file .ndf
    Transaction log file .ldf
  • Options
    Cool, any ideas how to copy the thing off a server that I can only remote desktop to? I tried Ctrl + C on the server & then Ctrl V on my local machine but it didn't work
  • Options
    Originally posted by Koenigsegg
    Cool, any ideas how to copy the thing off a server that I can only remote desktop to? I tried Ctrl + C on the server & then Ctrl V on my local machine but it didn't work

You can't. You can only copy it if you can copy across the network or if you have remote desktop copy facility. Which you don't, by the sounds of it.

The .MDF may not be of any use to you anyway, without the associated log file, unless it has been cleanly detached from its database. You're better off doing a backup/restore or a data export.
  • Options
    I looked into doing a backup but I could only backup to the server on which the database resides and not onto my local machine as I would like.