Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

writing help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm in the middle of writing a story, and i need to compare something with something and i'm stuck. so far i've got most of the story down on paper, but i've come to a bit in this story were i need to compare somthing being done with all the tenderness as an another action. but i can't think of another action that would be done with tenderness. sorry if this is really vague, i just can't give out many details on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not sure I understood, but maybe transplanting a flower that could easily come apart?
  • Options
    *completely confused*

Maybe you could post the bit of the story you have got up to so that we could understand a little better?
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    *completely confused*

Maybe you could post the bit of the story you have got up to so that we could understand a little better?

:yes:
  • Options
    Hrm. Confusing. :(

Try and be a bit more articulate.
  • Options
    Re: writing help!
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    i'm in the middle of writing a story, and i need to compare something with something and i'm stuck. so far i've got most of the story down on paper, but i've come to a bit in this story were i need to compare somthing being done with all the tenderness as an another action. but i can't think of another action that would be done with tenderness. sorry if this is really vague, i just can't give out many details on it.

Thanks.

Another word to go with tenderness then? Like Soft and tender, or warmth? Have a look in a thesaurus.
  • Options
    you could go kinda cheesy and say something like '.....with all the tenderness a mother has when holding her new born child' or summit like that
  • Options
    Do you have to liken it to tenderness. Could you not do the opposite (I don't know what it's called in writing terms) but something along the lines of

"....with all the tenderness you wouldn't see from a pimp getting cash from his 2-dollar whores."

You follow?
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Do you have to liken it to tenderness. Could you not do the opposite (I don't know what it's called in writing terms)

paradox.

kinda.
  • Options
    Is it a metaphor or a simile your looking for?

A simile is: Describing something as being literally like something else, "cool as a cucumber for example" also usually identified by the use of the word "as" or "is".

A metaphor is: Describing something as not being literally like something else, "food for thought", "The moon is like a piece of cheese" for example. usually identified by the word "like".

you could use something like: "as comfortable as a planet in its heaven"

or "as loving as an elephant and its calf" (kind of an elaboration on PBP's suggestion).
  • Options
    He caressed her tender flesh like he would club a rabbit to death with a mallet.

Will that do?
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    you could go kinda cheesy and say something like '.....with all the tenderness a mother has when holding her new born child' or summit like that

thats perfect...thank you! and no sorry i can't post the story because of the content, people would find it some what triggering and upsetting. sorry!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jinx
    Is it a metaphor or a simile your looking for?

A simile is: Describing something as being literally like something else, "cool as a cucumber for example" also usually identified by the use of the word "as" or "is".

A metaphor is: Describing something as not being literally like something else, "food for thought", "The moon is like a piece of cheese" for example. usually identified by the word "like".
    No, a simile can use "as" or "like" a metaphor is directly identifying something with something else, e.g. "she's a pig".

What about "all the tenderness of a lovers' first kiss" (:yuck:) or something like that. I don't really do romantic but it sounds all right!
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    No, a simile can use "as" or "like" a metaphor is directly identifying something with something else, e.g. "she's a pig".

:heart:

put simply - a similie is saying x is like z, or has the characteristics of z.

metaphor is saying that x is z.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :heart:
    Aw, no one ever :heart:ed me before!
  • Options
    Re: writing help!
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity

Thanks.

To be quite honest if your story is as easy to follow as that was I think you should do everyone a favour and give up on it.

Argh.
  • Options
    Re: Re: writing help!
    Originally posted by Mist
    To be quite honest if your story is as easy to follow as that was I think you should do everyone a favour and give up on it.

Argh.

LMAO! Omg, I'm SOOO guffawing. Aww <333