Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

damn fecking trains!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just like to say that trains are shite! this weekend really did take the piss about how crap services running were.

train from leicester on sunday morning with my mate sue sue to birmingham was cancelled due to problems on the track. replacement coach didn't arrive til about 35 minutes after train should have left. then had to take long way to leicester as motorway (M60 i think) was closed. my mates drew and tart left peterborough after me and sue had left leicester and got there same time as us and his train ran through leicester

went to get tram to station to go home on monday night from birmingham. signal failures meant i got to station too late as they were running a reduced service. got to platform just as train pulled away, would have made it except escaltors were broken so had to take big set of windy stairs. and so stayed an extra night

on way from leicester on tuesday, after getting to leicester alright from bimringham, train to london stopped 5 mins outside london cos of signal failures, and took 30+ minutes to fix.

once i got to london bridge by tube, i was waiting for train which was running 15 minutes late by time i left. 2 minutes before alternative train to my station left was when the station announcer decided was a good time to tell everyone about it.

sprinted across station and just managed to get on train as doors closed. but hurt leg as door caught it on my way in.

to say i am less than amused would be a slight understatement.

i hate public transport and i am sure the feeling is mutual. :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Re: damn fecking trains!
    Originally posted by Maladjusted

:yes:
  • Options
    Re: damn fecking trains!

Blame privatisation
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I like the fact that Arriva say that cutting half of my local services counts as a 'service improvement'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    I like the fact that Arriva say that cutting half of my local services counts as a 'service improvement'.

Private firms see, they dont care about customers they are just after the money in your pockets. It's the same with all corporations.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Private firms see, they dont care about customers they are just after the money in your pockets. It's the same with all corporations.

Yeah. The sad fact is that they can run less services and they know the customers will still be there. Fucking local monopolies make me so mad.
  • Options
    if it was sunday just gone you also had the reading/leeds festival to contend with for mass amounts of people leaving
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    if it was sunday just gone you also had the reading/leeds festival to contend with for mass amounts of people leaving

I live about 5 miles from Bramham and along the route that those inept twats at Mean Fiddler and West Yorkshire Police chose for the festival goers.

It was gridlocked from 11am Thursday till lunchtime on Monday.
  • Options
    i left the site 10 am monday morning by car and it was clear as hell, pretty much so when i went for my midnight run to tescos for munchies before i started work
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i left the site 10 am monday morning by car and it was clear as hell, pretty much so when i went for my midnight run to tescos for munchies before i started work

Well obviously I wasn't going anywhere at midnight so couldn't possibly comment.

But the area further down from Tesco was bad, as its a road that jams easily at the best of times, but the added traffic and it just couldn't cope.
  • Options
    you were right about just down from tescos though heading into town, proper chocca it was

having staff wristpasses helped getting into the tesco toilets though
  • Options
    Just a random bit here, but I have to give you all props. I get sick to my stomache just thinking about riding public transport, and the L (elevated train in Chicago) is exceptionally clean and decent... as in it doesn't smell like pee and have bums living in it, much like NYC :p. Even if it were the cleanest place in the world, I could still never do it. I can barely do it once let alone often. *claps* for you. I would probably die if I had to rely on public transportationn.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i can honestly say that i have had no real problems with public transport. i have nothing major to complain about :)
  • Options
    On Friday morning I got on a train at Newcastle, sat in First Class (for free since I was travelling with a GNER employee), had champagne and pastries for breakfast. The train arrived early at York. Then got on a train from York to Leeds which was clean and on time and arrived at Leeds with time to spare.

And these were both commuter trains.

The other week I got a train to Carlisle that was on time both there and back.

Every single time I've got a train it has been on time. Perhaps 'tis only trains in the south or nearer the capital?

I actually really like public transport. You can observe some really good social interactions whilst sitting on a bus or train. :)
  • Options
    i travel all over the country clubbing and visiting freinds, and nope it's not just the south.

i think it might just be me and i'm cursed. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Trains run late. It happens.

You should check your train is running at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk before you leave the house. I always do, especially the real-time departure boards that they have for every station.
  • Options
    bit hard to check it when you're at a train station switching trains and the fault only shows up while you're on the way over to the station. or actually on the train.

but nice idea :rolleyes:

of course i bloody checked, but what the website says and what the people on the rail enquiries line say and what the reality is, is often quite different i have found.
  • Options
    of course i bloody checked, but what the website says and what the people on the rail enquiries line say and what the reality is, is often quite different i have found.

It generally isn't. The National Rail website generally is updated pretty quickly if there are any network failures.

Here.
  • Options
    bit hard to check it when you're at a train station switching trains and the fault only shows up while you're on the way over to the station. or actually on the train.

Its available through WAP and GPRS too.

How useful.