Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Job Seekers Allowance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having just finished my last year of college, I plan on going into a full time job, but am still looking for one. I work one day a week at a supermarket (7.5 hours), but have heard I can still claim job seekers allowance.
I was just wondering how I go about finding out if I can do this and where I have to go. There is a Connexions near me, but I don't know whether this is the right place to go. Should I just find a bog standard job centre?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    yup, you can claim JSA if you work up to a certain amount of hours a week - i think it's 14 or 16.

but i also think they will deduct the amount you earn from your allowance, so if you're earning over £44 a week (or whatever it is for you) you won't actually get any money. but you still get help with health care and such.

oh, and to apply, just wander into any jobcentre.
  • Options
    :yes: Yep, what she said :D I am currently going through the process myself at the moment (although I have an interview tonight!!! :nervous: ) ...
    The hours you can work up to are 16 per week.
  • Options
    I've located my nearest job centre and just need to peel myself off the chair so I can get there. I already earn more than £44 a week so probably won't actually get any money. But going to do it anyway for the other stuff and also going to register with Connexions for help job seeking.
  • Options
    You need to ring them up and make a new claim. They won't do this at a Jobcentre Plus, they'll just point you in the direction of the telephone.
  • Options
    Yep, they just gave me a number and told me to go home and ring it. I'd post the number here, but I think it might be area specific.
  • Options
    The Jobcentre do say 16 hours, but I'm told it is a lie. It has to 15 hours as a maximum to claim JSA.
  • Options
    Ive just started Claiming jsa myself, Having just read what monserrat said im not sure now but The boolet does say it has to be a minum of 16 hours worked.

Whats this about jobcentre plus telling you to phone a number to make a new claim, i just walked into the jobcentre here, and said i would like to make a new claim and they gave me the relevant paperwork to take away and fill in... :S

Must be a regional thing i spose
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    Whats this about jobcentre plus telling you to phone a number to make a new claim, i just walked into the jobcentre here, and said i would like to make a new claim and they gave me the relevant paperwork to take away and fill in... :S

Nah, I've never known the need to phone to the jobcentre+. I turned up in person to fill in the JSA form. That was 30-odd pages (or half-pages if you don't have a partner). I may have even filled it while I was there just to get it over and done with. Then after six months on the dole, you have to renew. If I was unucky enough to renew, I would just turn up again and re-fill the form or parts of it. Thankfully, I did finally get a job in week 26 - the week I was due back for JSA renewal!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Nah, I've never known the need to phone to the jobcentre+. I turned up in person to fill in the JSA form. That was 30-odd pages (or half-pages if you don't have a partner). I may have even filled it while I was there just to get it over and done with. Then after six months on the dole, you have to renew. If I was unucky enough to renew, I would just turn up again and re-fill the form or parts of it. Thankfully, I did finally get a job in week 26 - the week I was due back for JSA renewal!!

I got told that after 13 weeks they pull you in and question you about what you are doing to look for work and ask for proof.. lol i have such a bad memory i keep forgetting to fill it the shitty wee diary thingy...
  • Options
    I refused to take Jobseekers Allowance at first when I left college. I had to be forced into it kicking and screaming by my parents, but even then, I refused to turn up for meetings to prove I was looking for work. I received two payments in my bank account and haven't done anything with the money. It's still there today.
  • Options
    Lucky you then, if you don't need the money. Most people claim JSA not because they want to, but they need the money to buy food, pay bills etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    Richeh, at least you're getting some money.

I applied 14 fucking cunting weeks ago, and I still ahevn't receive a pissing penny. And then the mangy cockwipes have the gall to say that GWST's student loan classes as income.

I hope every single person running that organisation gets HIV. Because if they do I would laugh and laugh and laugh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Richeh, at least you're getting some money.

I applied 14 fucking cunting weeks ago, and I still ahevn't receive a pissing penny. And then the mangy cockwipes have the gall to say that GWST's student loan classes as income.

I hope every single person running that organisation gets HIV. Because if they do I would laugh and laugh and laugh.

Im not getting any money :( Now im told ( by a relative who signed on for jsa before) tha tyou have to wait 2 weeks

This is a shitter cause im all out of money, how are you supposed to live with no money coming in, its my second signing on day this monday, so im going to complain or something coz this isnt on ! I was told it would take a week to go through the claims process ( that is to go from Leith walk to portobello just down the bloody road) then 3 days to go in my bank, i think its been like 2 and a half weeks now... arggh...

Why bother doing this at all for a measily £44 a bloomin week !

In saying that ive applied to various places and no b*****d has got back to me, that really pisses me off! Tesco sent me a letter turning me down, neve reven bothered to see me/talk to me/interview etc...
  • Options
    I tried to apply for job seekers and they told me that I would have to be willing to give up my education if a job came along.:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tigger1234
    I tried to apply for job seekers and they told me that I would have to be willing to give up my education if a job came along.:confused::confused::confused:

Full time students are not eligible for JSA unless they are actively seeking work.

And that means giving up that education to take employment.
  • Options
    Dammit !

Off i went to the job centre to sign on, i asked the guy could he check why i havent had any money paid to me yet, and basically found out my details are set to " Live NP" or Live No Payment, which means im still not getting any money, nor has my claim been put through yet :mad: Im really really pissed off now, i have to phone around to ask why my claim hasnt been put through, and i want to know why i was told it would only take 1 week to go through!

I mean i need money to live, we all need the evil money to live and i have nothing, nadda not a penny.

So here i go to phone and moan and find out why all this is going on.

P.s. the reason why its this way is due to lazy incompetent bastard staff who cant do a simple job!

Moaning makes you feel good doesnt it :D
  • Options
    when i got JSA it took about 3 and a half weeks to come through.
    it sucked, i had to go down there every monday morning at 9am just to sign a bit of paper :mad:

im not a morning person
  • Options
    Just thought i'd mention that my money finally came through though ive had to wait a month.

What i didnt know which i was told when i called up the jsa place was that the reason it wasnt delayed was due to my past employer kicking their heels in sending out some imprtant info.