Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

moving out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When do you plan to move out your parents' house? When is a good age to do so?!

Comments

• Options
    I did it for the first time when I was 16. Then moved back in not long after, then moved out again, and back in... you get the picture. The only thing that sucks is actually moving, soooo much crap :/ Anyways, each person is different, as I'm sure most everybody will say. The right age to move out is when you feel comfortable with it. When you can survive on your own.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I was ready to move out aged 14. Finally managed it when I was 19, and it's still among the best decisions I've ever made.

same. exsept, i'm kinda partcialy moving out now, in with another family that live closer to school......as soon as i can find them..:( ..but if i legaly could now, i would.
  • Options
    I moved out when I was 16.
  • Options
    I escaped at 16. If you are in a loving happy familiy i wouldn't suggest such a young age.
  • Options
    I moved out when I was 18; came back when I was 19. And don't plan in moving till I go to Uni when Im 21 to Scotland. My family have been great with me since I've been back... so there's no rush.

My brother is 24 and is still with us as well. He has no intentions in moving out the lazy git :p
  • Options
    i moved out when i was 21, in my second year of uni, and came back at 23. my family are pretty chilled out, and our house is such that my parents only ever use the downstairs, so me and mr. kaff have the whole of the upstairs to ourselves.

it works for me. and there's no way we'd be able to afford a place of our own at the moment. at least not something nice. and i love this house.

whatever works for you, i think.
  • Options
    I'm 18 an just startin my first year at uni, i wouldnt be plannin to move out for years, but my mums plannin on moving back home to ireland, so it looks like i wont have much of a choice soon. But i'll probaly end up in student halls of live with my father then.
  • Options
    I moved out when I was 20. Went from Wales to Ireland, but now live back in Wales with a mate. Best thing you'll ever do...
  • Options
    Moving out to uni aged 19. But I don't intend to be back permanently.
  • Options
    hell no, im not moving out until i get kicked out. have a house in belfast that i live in during term time but fuck that for a game of darts, i couldnt afford to live without my parents there lol
  • Options
    I wanted to move out from about 14 onwards - but didn't manage it till I got to university but then kept on moving backwards and forwards lots till we finally got our flat when I was 23 but also had to move back for about a month before chirstmas this year because the new house needed soo much work doing to it we couldnt' move in straight away. However from the age of 12 my dad lived away from home and from when I was about 16 onwards my mum used to go and see my dad in scotland every other weekend rather than him coming back here so for most of the time my sister and I had the place to ourselves which was nice.

Funnily my dad moved back about a month after I moved out........
  • Options
    I moved out when I was 18 to live in uni halls but I still stayed at home every weekend and one night during the week. Then I moved back home when I was 19, after a 14 months 'away' and I don't plan on moving out again until I have someone very rich to keep me! Hehe. :)
  • Options
    for uni, aged 18 :) cannae wait, altho i'll be back soon enough! next year'll be scary, as i am in china for a year, at least this year i can pop back every so often for a weekend! but £600 flight isn't going to be very accomodating for that!
  • Options
    I'll be moving out at 20, better late than never!
  • Options
    i moved at 17 a month after my birthday, i wouldnt reccomend it to anyone that didnt mind it at home and i wouldnt reccomend moving quite as far as i did
  • Options
    I did the whole moving-out-for-uni thing when i was 18, and will now spend another 2 years living in Norwich in private accommodation.

I've already warned mum that i'm moving back in when i finish my degree - in order to qualify well, i need to be in London (i'm doing Accountancy and want to get into one of the big firms). And there's no way that i'll be able to afford to live in London as soon as i finish uni.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    I did the whole moving-out-for-uni thing when i was 18, and will now spend another 2 years living in Norwich in private accommodation. .

poor you!:(
  • Options
    I've been looking at moving out after xmas. Cant stand it here anymore. Although it'll prolly tits up and I'll end up moving out when I go to uni.