Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Psychiatrists

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anybody ever been to see one?
Im waiting for an appointment and 2 things are bothering me.

1.- Accepting i have to go see one, How do i do this?
2. What to expect? what will happen?

thanx

Comments

• Options
    Re: Psychiatrists
    Originally posted by FallenAngel84

thanx

hiya.

I've seen a psychologist and now I'm grudgingly seeing a paediatrician.

What to expect... well they will ask questions about you and how you are feeling and your past - she delved right back into before I was born and how I was as an infant. If you really don't want to answer something then it's up to you but it's best to tell them everything you can so that they can help you more effectively.

What they talk about with you might depend on what they already know about you and what specific problems you are going through. I found it really intimidating when she went through what seemed like hundreds of questions about seemingly obscure topics but once they've asked it once it won't happen again - they get the big interregation over with on the first visit just to establish what they're working with.

Once they have assessed you and know you a bit better they will discuss treatment with you. It depends on your condition but you might be asked about counselling, behavioural therapy or AD's. You don't have to accept treatment or even go again if you don't want to but I'd recommend at least giving something they offer a try.

It's not easy and at times upsetting and unpleasant but it gets easier - the first time is most likely the worst. They are there to help you and make you better; in the same way that someone with a broken leg goes to physio, a person with mental health problems sees a psychiatrist - it's nothing unusual. Above all you just have to be honest with them cos they can only go on what you tell them.

good luck :)
  • Options
    Thank supastar

i guess its a bit like seeing a counciller except the psych can discuss treatment etc.

arrgghh itll be scary!!

thanx again
  • Options
    Thank supastar

i guess its a bit like seeing a counciller except the psych can discuss treatment etc.

arrgghh itll be scary!!

thanx again

it's very worthwhile if you give it a chance.

and you're more than welcome :)
  • Options
    watch out for the questions which you feel are best answered in this manner :eek2:

'do you believe you have supernatural powers?' 'have you ever thought that other people may be externally controlling your thoughts?'

quite.

it's not bad, at all. just be honest, and they'll sort you out. they best thing is that you can say absolutely anything without them goinf :crazyeyes , cause they have always seen someone more mental than you.
  • Options

thanx

If you live in Britain then it's no different from visiting a GP in essence.

The doctor would simply ask you questions about your condition and how you are feeling.
  • Options
    'do you believe you have supernatural powers?' 'have you ever thought that other people may be externally controlling your thoughts?'

Both are symptoms of mental conditions. What's so strange in them asking that? That's their job!! ;)
  • Options
    I saw a councillor and they were gonna refer me to a psychologist. Then i told them that i didn't need it as i finally came to terms with things ect.
    My councillor told me that the only difference is they delve (sp?) a little deeper than a councillor and its more long term help.

Best of luck with it all :).
  • Options

1. You don't have to go and see one! I'm unsure whether you meant accenting that you have problems and need to see a psychiatrist or accepting that you are being 'made' to see one. Just remember though, at the end of the day it is your choice and perhaps it is something you need to do to feel better in yourself :)

2. A lot of silence. Sure, they may ask you a lot of questions but they expect you to answer them, and if you haven't given as much information as they think you'd be willing to give, given enough time, they'll sit and look at you for ages! At least that is what I found. It did help though because there was stuff I wanted to say that I wouldn't have said if she'd just kept talking. I needed the silence to spur me on. Good look.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    My councillor told me that the only difference is they delve (sp?) a little deeper than a councillor and its more long term help.

i found psychiatrists totally different to cousellors.

the psychiatrist is more like a doctor. they diagnose, maybe prescribe you something, and then you have regular check-ups. they ask a lot more medical type questions, and when they ask about your mood, they expect you just to describe it, rather than pour out your life story. when they've decided what's wrong with you, they'll either refer you to someone who can help (counsellor, therapist), start you on drug therapy, of if you're quite seriously or acutely ill, they might recommend that you are an in-patient for a while.
  • Options
    To further confuse the issue, I've been seeing a psychotherapist for a few years now.

The talking side of the therapy is that I just go in, lie down on a big squashy couch, and (in theory) talk about whatever comes into my head. You are supposed to lead the discussion, kind of, and the therapist is there to guide you and help you think about things deeper.

It is quite nerve-wracking at first, but it's not too bad after a while.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Both are symptoms of mental conditions. What's so strange in them asking that? That's their job!! ;)

well yeah, but when you're young and scared you don't know that, and it makes you feel kinda mental.

:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i found psychiatrists totally different to cousellors.

*nod*
    Psychiatrists and psychologists are two different animals.

Psychiatrists ask you a lot of questions. A lot. They don't try and work with your thought processes etc, as psychologists do - they are more of the medical side of mental illness.

As for coming to terms with it..*shrug* you're taking responsibilty for your own health.
    You have dodgy eyes - you see an optician
    Manky teeth - dentist
    Wonky brain - psychiatrist

You don't have to put it on your CV or 'owt. :D
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I hate talking to people. seeing a psychotherapist and i hate it. Long silences are freaky.
    i know i dont have to go, but it might help i suppose.
    worth a try.

thanx again.
  • Options
    i feel i need to see one i get anxious alot about stuff that isnt even relevent. i have weird thoughts that i dont want to have but are there. its so fucking annoying.
  • Options
    Originally posted by heartlessBYhim
    i feel i need to see one i get anxious alot about stuff that isnt even relevent. i have weird thoughts that i dont want to have but are there. its so fucking annoying.

It sounds like you might be best to talk to your doctor about this and see what they think. Have a read of our factsheet on counselling for more info.

You could also call a helpline anonymously to discuss your feelings. These ones are good:

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500
    www.careline.org.uk

SANELINE
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems. The service is open from 12 noon until 2am.
    Telephone: 0845 767 8000 Website: www.sane.org.uk

Also, I've noticed that you've bought a few old threads up. Sometimes it's best to start a new thread and refer back to the old one with a link if it's relevant rather than making people read threads from months ago. Just a point!

:)
  • Options
    I've seen psycologists (but not psychiatrists) and they are a bit of a mixed bunch. Some are really really good and have helped me greatly. Others have seemed like a waste of time.

Hope it goes well for you. :)
  • Options
    im still waiting for an appointment.

sigh
  • Options
    im still waiting for an appointment.

sigh

yeah it takes a while. You've just gotta be patient. Hope it all works out for you when the appointment finally comes :)