Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rooney is off to....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Man Utd.

And they've paid around £25 million for him. Oh dear.Rooney signed to Manchester United.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    No big surprise there...

First Smith, now Rooney... What next, Mancunians playing for Leeds and Liverpool? ;)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    What next, Mancunians playing for Leeds

Been done, Danny Pugh.
  • Options
    He does right, I reckon.
  • Options
    help

if ur any gud wit personal probs plz get in touch asap
  • Options
    Re: help
    Originally posted by thomson2004
    :confused:
  • Options
    Re: Re: help
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    :confused:

I wouldn't worry, Bradford folk rarely make much sense. :)
  • Options
    He will off in 2 seasons and he won't be half as good as he is now.
  • Options
    Re: help

Is this an appeal to our Wayne?
  • Options
    rooney should of gone to madrid or chelsea to be complete message to be honest even though i am a man utd fan.
  • Options
    Re: Re: help
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Is this an appeal to our Wayne?
    :D

I don't know how good an agony aunt he'd be but I'm sure many a punter would welcome his feedback and ratings on the local whorehouse network... ;)
  • Options
    rooney should of gone to madrid or chelsea to be complete message to be honest even though i am a man utd fan.

Hmm, some United fan :rolleyes:

Neither Madrid nor Chelsea have a history of developing young players so that they react their potential.

Chelsea may have the money but have no history or European competition in real terms, certainly it's not comparable with United.

Madrid isa tough nut to crack as Zidane, Ronaldo and Beckham have found. Each of them recieved a rough ride and Rooney is too young to be exposed to that kind of pressure, without the protection which Fergie offers his youngsters. Maybe in a few years that would be the right move.

As a United fan I am happy to see Rooney at United, I think that he will add a different dimension to the team and his signing offers more proof that Fergie looks at the long temr rather than just the next 12 months...
  • Options
    i dont think he really used them he just said it cause the papers wrote it about him
  • Options
    even though i am a man utd fan.

Oh joy, another one of those fucking cunts who desert Bradford every weekend to watch one of the "big" sides, whilst the Bradford club dies a fucking death.

You're a twat, along with the other 20,000 who fuck off to watch Man United or L666s.

And breathe...
  • Options
    Hmm, some United fan :rolleyes:

Neither Madrid nor Chelsea have a history of developing young players so that they react their potential.

Chelsea may have the money but have no history or European competition in real terms, certainly it's not comparable with United.

Madrid isa tough nut to crack as Zidane, Ronaldo and Beckham have found. Each of them recieved a rough ride and Rooney is too young to be exposed to that kind of pressure, without the protection which Fergie offers his youngsters. Maybe in a few years that would be the right move.

As a United fan I am happy to see Rooney at United, I think that he will add a different dimension to the team and his signing offers more proof that Fergie looks at the long temr rather than just the next 12 months...

So Raul wasn't homegrown? ;)
  • Options

Chelsea financially are a big club, but their support is fairweather (heck, where were the 40,000 gates in the 1980's) and lack the tradition of other clubs. I don't like saying this, but personally I think the biggest London club is Arsenal (and not because they have the best team).
  • Options
    I am happy to see Rooney at United, I think that he will add a different dimension to the team and his signing offers more proof that Fergie looks at the long temr rather than just the next 12 months...

Agreed. (Please don't beat me). However, paying £22 million (plus another five million if he fulfils his contract) for a player who has yet to, for want of a better word, blossom is too much.
  • Options
    Chelsea paid £24million for Drogba, who had one and a half decent seasons in a piss-poor league.

In that context, Rooney is worth every penny.

In the context of Real getting Owen for £8million United have been ripped off, however.

'Tis the way of football.
  • Options
    If Fergie has bought him as "one for the future" then his career is frigged, though.

Just ask Greening or Forlan :lol:
  • Options
    It is a very good signing for the scum and for the future but IMO that kind of money should have being invested elsewhere if you are planning on being title contenders this year. It has being said Fergie only went in for him cos Newcastle did and didn't want to lose out on him to another club so from this it is obvious Fergie doesn't need him but just wants him.

Don't you think MoK that a youngish class midfielder would have being the better option to spend that kind of money on?? Who have you got (don't know scum squad inside out so correct me if i'm wrong) - Roy Keane who is a dirty scumbag :p but still a good player in his time but he is past it now, injured aswell i think. Paul Scholes who is a little ginger midget :) but still class player and is still class. Darren Fletcher now this lad may be one for the future but i've never seen him do it yet, i think he is too young and inexperienced and don't think he has what it takes in the centre of midfield. Then you have Kleberson who is over-rated and shit imo. Maybe more but what i'm getting at is that in the most important position on the pitch you just don't have what it takes no more. The cash used on Rooney could have sorted your midfield out which is where the problems lie imo.
  • Options
    im not originally from bardford so get your facts right first ok
  • Options
    yeah maybe chelsea got the money but arsenal ahve a high spirited and gelled team
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    It has being said Fergie only went in for him cos Newcastle did and didn't want to lose out on him to another club so from this it is obvious Fergie doesn't need him but just wants him.

I think it was more a case of not wanting Newcastle to have him because then United wouldn't be able to. Fergie has said that he wasn't looking to buy Rooney now, but that changed when he thought that he would be out of reach.

It makes business sense.
    Don't you think MoK that a youngish class midfielder would have being the better option to spend that kind of money on?? Who have you got etc...

Didn't want to quote the whole thing.

I agree that Kleberson and Djemba (twice) are not looking like United standard, but time will tell.

We also have other players to look out for in the next couple of years... Eagles, Miller, Richardson, Fletcher (as you say) for example. Looking at the reserves I am comfortable with the future though not to the same extent that I was before Neville, Butt, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs came through.

My concern about our youth development is the lack of "decent" strikers. We seem to develop them more for the First Division (Healy, Macken, Webber?) standards and use them to generate come income. I would love to see us developing an Owen of our own...

I guess it all comes down to what you want your team to achieve. If you are looking at short term targets - such as this years title - then perhaps you are right. Thing is that Fergie has never worked that way, he has always looked at the next few years.

That's why I think that Rooney is a sound investment. Yes £20m is a huge amount of money, but the potential he offers to United is massive too. Personally I am not expecting too much from him this year, but after that...?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If Fergie has bought him as "one for the future" then his career is frigged, though.

Just ask Greening or Forlan :lol:

Not fair.

See also Butt, Scholes, Neville (G), Giggs, Silvestre, Schmeichel, Beckham etc etc etc

United have always sold young players too, like Greening. Interesting case in point - now at WBA sodo you think he is United standard? What about Webber at Watford, or Higginbottam at Derby. Hell you should remember Gary Walsh well.
  • Options
    I agree that he is an excellent buy but I just think in your team the midfield needs addressing at the moment. You need someone to replace Roy Keane, not just now but for the future also. He is a big player for you and has played a massive part in the last 10yrs of success but he is getting a bit past it and needs replacing with someone with similar qualities.
  • Options
    I'd imagine that's this years (and a large part of next years) transfer budget gone then?

Apart from the fact that RVN works better as a lone striker IMO, I don't actually think the lack of firepower upfront was anything to do with Uniteds poor season (by their standards) last season, and I don't think Rooney will be the difference this year.

The signing of Saha for £10 million last transfer window was a bit strange, especially with defensive frailties (Rio banned, Brown injured, Silvestre and the Neville brothers :p) surely being more of a priority :confused:

Selling Nicky Butt is going to be a mistake I feel too, although he was crying out for regular first team football.

When you look at the treble winning year, the team picked itself, the vast majority of players were on the top of their games, now it all just looks disjointed. I'll reserve judgement till Heinze, Rio, Ronaldo, RVN et al are back and playing though, and with the likes of Smith, Ronaldo, Rooney all still young, I'd be looking our for a United resurgence soon enough.

Just not yet, and I hope for Fergies sake that it all comes together before he starts going all Bobby Robson..
  • Options
    See also Butt, Scholes, Neville (G), Giggs, Silvestre, Schmeichel, Beckham etc etc etc

United used to have a very very good youth team- didn't the youth coach retire the other year? I can't remember what the feck he was called, but he was one of the best coaches in the game.

Silvestre *chortles*

United have always sold young players too, like Greening. Interesting case in point - now at WBA sodo you think he is United standard? What about Webber at Watford, or Higginbottam at Derby. Hell you should remember Gary Walsh well.

I don't think Greening was ever given the chance to be up to United standards, and I really did expect better things of Higginbottom after he went to Blackburn.

Of course United have always sold their kids who weren't good enough for their team- more than a few of them have toddled over this way.

I just always remember Graeme Tomlinson, who was shit hot when he was at City. He should have gone far, but he went to United too young and he's playing for FC Nag's Head or someone now.
  • Options
    Man United, more than anything, need a midfield enforcer to fill Keane's boots, and they need cover for Ferdinand (Brown can't be trusted to stay fit long enough). I don't know why Ferguson prefers Kleberson or Djemba Djemba to Butt, but that's the manager's choice.

And they need a decent left-back, because Silvestre is a donkey and O'Shea isn't a natural.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Man United, more than anything, need a midfield enforcer to fill Keane's boots, and they need cover for Ferdinand (Brown can't be trusted to stay fit long enough). I don't know why Ferguson prefers Kleberson or Djemba Djemba to Butt, but that's the manager's choice.

And they need a decent left-back, because Silvestre is a donkey and O'Shea isn't a natural.

A midfield enforcer is essential but I think Roy Keane still more than holds his own against players like Viera and Gerrard, just for his talismanic presence if nothing else. Ideally Gerrard will get disillusioned with a bottom-half tabled Liverpool and jump ship to Man Utd this year or next. Hardly likely but SAF is a huge admirer.

I actually think the defence is sound. Gary Neville - consistently one of the best right backs in world football (becoming an asset in attack as well). Rio is immence. Silvestre has his scary moments but once he has Rio at his sides he'll be back on track. Heinze is promising (and can play left-back) and Brown is a great natural defender (marshalled Arsenal with ease in FA Cup if proof is needed). O'Shea had a great 2002/2003 season but faded last season but that is always the case whe players are hyped up too much in their first season, he'll be back. Spector looks good.

The attacking options are now mouth watering, enough said.
  • Options
    Originally posted by addicted7
    A midfield enforcer is essential but I think Roy Keane still more than holds his own against players like Viera and Gerrard, just for his talismanic presence if nothing else. Ideally Gerrard will get disillusioned with a bottom-half tabled Liverpool and jump ship to Man Utd this year or next. Hardly likely but SAF is a huge admirer.
    I totally dis-agree about Keane, I've never liked him cos he is a dirty scummer but he can play football and has being a huge part in Man u's success but he is past it. There is his presence which now is built up mainly on reputation but not a chance of holding his own against Viera and Gerrard. He could hold his own against a lot of the lesser central midfielders but he hasn't got it anymore and needs to be replaced for scum to compete with the "big boys".
    Brown is a great natural defender
    Natural at being clumsy and shit :p