Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

North Korea

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3614488.stm

A British minister is to visit North Korea, supposedly.

Tell me, why should North Korea be considered an enemy of the United Kingdom?

Comments

• Options
    France, the USA, India, Pakistan, Russia, China and Isreal have nukes.

None are 'enemy' nations.

North Korea has done nothing to harm us.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    it never tells us their secrets.
    :confused: :rolleyes: :lol::D

This must be the very first post that qualifies to have 4 different smilies next to it.

The US never tells us their secrets. Or Pakistan. Or Israel. Or India.

I guess they're all our enemies then...
  • Options
    I think it's a step towards getting N Korea to involve itself postivly in the world. People said the we shouldn't have visited Libya, but I think that this can't do us any harm, and could potentially be good for the world.
  • Options
    i doubt the us has many more secrets after your friends.
    Please go on and explain how a country that "never tells us its secrets" is an enemy that must be prevented from arming itself with nuclear weapons. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    :confused: :rolleyes: :lol::D

This must be the very first post that qualifies to have 4 different smilies next to it.

The US never tells us their secrets. Or Pakistan. Or Israel. Or India.

I guess they're all our enemies then...

gotta agree with you mate. All countries have government secrets.
  • Options
    and the united states tops them all off? yeah

As I've said before, and I hate having to do this with you Lukesh I wish you'd learn to behave, N Korea is the most secretive country on earth.
  • Options
    well then don't you blame us trying to open them up a bit?

It's nothing to do with us. They are a sovereign nation that has every right to keep secrets.
  • Options
    just like us, the states etc then

yes, what's your point?
  • Options
    this is pointless

Watch out everyone, multiple emoticons on the way

:lol: :eek2: :crazyeyes :banghead: :shocking: :crying: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    As I've said before, and I hate having to do this with you Lukesh I wish you'd learn to behave, N Korea is the most secretive country on earth.

Every single one of your posts is patronising and supercilious.
    Do you want to be a teacher or something?
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Every single one of your posts is patronising and supercilious.
    Do you want to be a teacher or something?

Nope, I'd be a terrible teacher. And you're also exagerating.
  • Options
    just like us, the states etc then

Oh, this thread is splendid. Truly splendid. I fell of my chair laughing.

Why should North Korea tell us anything? And why if they don't are they an "enemy"?
  • Options
    I don't think any country can demand any other country to tell them their 'secrets'... However I do beleive that certain people here would complain if North Korea demanded to know british intelligence but would have no problems with Britain trying to demand North Korea's. :rolleyes: :
  • Options
    I think the USA holds a great many more secrets from us than North Korea.
    Especially when you consider North Korea is about 20 years behind us in the technology states and about 30 years militarily.....
    what could they possibly be hiding from us?
    They've got nukes? So what, they can *just* hit the Western Coast of America.
    We've got submarines that can creep right next to them, kill everyone and then sneak away without them being the wiser.

North Korea are as much a threat to us as Switzerland.

As for the USA, I wonder what secrets they hold....for a start they won't give us stealth technology.
    Maybe they're pissed at us because we have the tech to detect it and won't tell them :naughty:
  • Options

I wouldn't under estimate them.
  • Options
    Militarily they are respectable. But as for the reasons for attacking us or its likeness... I think they're on a par with Andorra.
  • Options
    some people refuse to believe the war of terrorism.

I believe the Nikon Coolpix 5000 to be better than the Sony Cybershot PS12, chiefly because of the superior lenses the former has.

Oh, I'm sorry. What were we talking about again?
  • Options

Yeesss? What is it that you are trying to say? I mean apart from the fact it appears to be totally random and completely off topic interjection.
  • Options

Believe?:)

Some people don't agree with it, yes. I do not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I think the USA holds a great many more secrets from us than North Korea.
    Especially when you consider North Korea is about 20 years behind us in the technology states and about 30 years militarily.....
    what could they possibly be hiding from us?
    They've got nukes? So what, they can *just* hit the Western Coast of America.
    We've got submarines that can creep right next to them, kill everyone and then sneak away without them being the wiser.

As for the USA, I wonder what secrets they hold....for a start they won't give us stealth technology.
    Maybe they're pissed at us because we have the tech to detect it and won't tell them :naughty:

i agree with some of the things you've said.. i doubt that N. Korea will be attacking the UK any time soon... however, it is rumored that they have the most nuclear weapons and for that they are somewhat of a threat...

also... whatever secrets that the USA has.. i doubt we will be attacking the UK anytime soon either...
  • Options
    North Korea doesn't have the capability to make more than a few nuclear weapons.
    As far as we know they have even less capability of constructing the long range delivery systems to be much more than a nuisance.

As for underestimating them, I don't think so.
    One of our tanks is easily worth up to 10 of theirs, which is just as well.
    However when you consider that a British or South Korean tank can stand off from about 5 miles away a North korean attack wouldn't stand a chance.

I am however worried about America's strong protestations about North korea's nukes.
    Surely it must realise that the only way a war there could be winnable would be with nukes. If America didn't use them then Korea certainly would to defend herself.
  • Options
    I'll tell you what North Korea's nukes are good for: to protect itself against invasion from the neo-con, Imperialistic crusaders at the White House.

There have always been wars in human history. But recently we have had a bit more stability, where no nation could expect to be bombed and invaded for no good reason whatsoever by countries tens of thousands of miles away. Not any longer. These ultra-right wing, PNAC-driven neo-con cunts currently sitting in office in Washington believe it is their right to bomb, invade and occupy nations at will. They even believe they have right and reason to label other nations "evil" and to produce wish-lists of the countries they're going to bomb next.

With the UN and the rest of the international community unable or unwilling to stop this great menace to world peace, the only solution individual nations have to protect themselves against aggression from the Republican government of G. W. Bush is to acquire nuclear weapons.

Iraq was done because it had a piss-poor army and provided an easy walk-over for US troops.

North Korea on the other hand has a much stronger army and possibly one or two nukes, so Bush hasn't got the fucking balls to "impose regime change" in this "Axis of Evil" country.

So can anyone really blame Iran or any other nation for trying to acquire nukes and protect itself against US aggression?

If people are concerned and worried about this sudden rush to join the Nuclear Club by countries across the globe, here's who is to blame:

vert.bush.jpg
  • Options
    If N. Korea were to attack anyone Aladdin, it wouldn't be the states, because they don't have the missles to reach. It'd be S.Korea and Japan.
  • Options
    Then again it's hardly their intention to nuke anyone is there?
  • Options
    I think the point is they would provide a deterrent to an outside nation, not as a first strike weapon against that nation's home soil.

BTW, anyone remember this, though thankfully things have calmed down a bit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2842351.stm
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Then again it's hardly their intention to nuke anyone is there?

How does that one work? They could nuke S.Korea, Japan and anything in between.
  • Options
    If they want to guarantee their own obliteration and possibly the end of mankind, yes.

The same could be said of any other nation in possession of nukes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    They could nuke S.Korea, Japan and anything in between.

And then the US, UK and France would nuke them back. Particularly France, given their Pacific interests.

Nuclear weapons are not to be used in anger, they are there to be paraded as a deterrent. A country with nuclear capability is largely safe from conflict, without even having to use the nukes.

Look at India-Pakistan. Since Pakistan matches India's nuke capabilities things seem to have calmed down. Neither country will use them- leaders of countries are interested only in their own power, and it's hard to have good strong power over a country that has just been nuked.
  • Options
    I didn't say it'd be a sensible thing to do. But India and Pakistan were really right on the verge of nuclear war a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Luke, you've yet to explain why North Korea is a genuine threat to the United Kingdom.

yes they have nuclear weapons. So? We have nukes too, so MAD applies.

Can you state any North Korean leader who has stated that his country should attack Britain? Any terrorist group that threatens Britain which is harboured by North Korea??