Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Different types of CPUs

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Tis a confusing one this is. Gone are the days of Intel, AMD vs Cyrix. I had a quick shifty at Overclockers and see that the main offereings are now Intel and AMD, but they each showcase around 5 different types of CPUs!

Intel
- P4 LGA775 (2.8GHz - 3.8GHz)
- P4 socket 478 (2.8GHz - 3.4GHz)
- Celerons (2.4GHz - 2.8GHz)
- Xeons (2.6GHz - 3.0GHz)

Okay. These are pretty easy to understand. You need an LGA775 in order to gain the higher speeds. The Xeons can be brought in 2's (where motherboards permits) and provides a dual processor set-up. The Celerons are budget processors with less cache than the Pentiums.

AMD
- Athlon Thoroughbred XP2000 - XP2400
- Athlon Barton XP2500 - XP3200
- Semprons XP2400 - XP3100
- Mobile XP2400M - XP2600M
- MP XP2400 - XP2800
- 64-bit XP, FX and Opteron series

Since introducing the "XP" system, Thoroughbreds clock around 300MHz less than stated, Bartons loses around 500MHz from their numbers and the Semprons lose almose 1GHz from their XP numbers. The original Athlon Thunderbirds were true speed.

We have the 64-bit thingys. There's an FX53, clocked at 2.4GHz. They cost about £600. How does it compare to a P4 2.4GHz or a Barton 3000 clocked at 2.4GHz? We also have the Opteron 140s and 240s, clocked at 1.4GHz and 1.6GHz. These CPUs cost between £150 and £200. What is a 1.4GHz Opteron like compared to a 2.4GHz P4?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Okay, I only know about a small set because I have been looking them up.

Just now, the AMD 64 equivalent speed to the Pentium 4 has a slight (about 5%) edge. This may improve once Microsoft releases XP 64 bit edition for AMD platforms, which should be later this year.

The AMD 64 range comes in 3 bits, there's the "older" ones, which I think are socket 754, and the newer ones, which are socket 939, which is the same socket type as their top-end range, the FX stuff. So, if you were going to get a 64 bit AMD chip, go for one of the socket 939 ones (which means around 3500+ upwards I think).
    hmm xeons are for servers

there loads to choose from, what do you need it for exactly?

if its for gaming, then the P4s with lots of cache on them would be good, or the A64 when windows 64bit comes out, such a shame they cut cache on the new 64bit ones

btw intel put a limit on overclocking their chips if youre into that sort of thing
    I thought P4s weren't the best if you wanted to play games on them a lot? X-bit labs test

"However, considering the difference in prices, the Pentium 4 2.4B cannot be recommended as a good buy for a gaming computer."
    2.6 or 2.8 is all you need for gaming really, theres so many more important factors these days, like HD rpm and access time, what GFX card you have, if you have dual channel ram or not....

so many things!

what is the point of this thread?
    Download SiSoft Sandra, It'll let you compare different processors over tonnes of different benchmarks aswell as comparing it with your current system