Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Place Name

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I heard a place mentioned on TV might be in Wales or something but don't know how it's spelt but it sounds like

Clan-dig-low

or

Klan-Dug-Lo

I tried several ways of spelling it on google with no results

Comments

• Options
    could it possibly be Llandudno?
  • Options
    Llandudno. Pronounced in Welsh as clan-dud-no.
  • Options
    I hate it when people pronounce Llandudno as 'lan-did-no' :mad: especially people living in Wales. Same with Llanarmon, Bwlchgwyn... it annoys me when people mispronounce place names.

Llandudno isn't really prounounced 'clan-dud-no' but that probably sounds the closest to somebody not familiar with the Welsh alphabet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lea_uk
    could it possibly be Llandudno?

Yes I think you're right!!! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Llandudno isn't really prounounced 'clan-dud-no' but that probably sounds the closest to somebody not familiar with the Welsh alphabet.

It's close enough for someone who can't speak Welsh...

Bwlchgwyn

Bless you:p
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I hate it when people pronounce Llandudno as 'lan-did-no' :mad: especially people living in Wales. Same with Llanarmon, Bwlchgwyn... it annoys me when people mispronounce place names.

how would you pronounce those other names? sorry, but i think its silly to just expect people with no welsh background to be able to pronounce these place names.
  • Options
    Bwlchgwyn

What the fuck? Do you really expect people who aren't forced to speak Welsh are going to know how to pronounce the name of a town with no vowels in it?!

It's like those people who talk down to people who don't put the click in N'Gotty!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe it's something about Britain that makes names be read in different ways... I remember the day they told me Leicester was pronounced "Lester". :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    how would you pronounce those other names? sorry, but i think its silly to just expect people with no welsh background to be able to pronounce these place names.

Couldn't agree more! Moonrat, need a hand down from that high horse there?
  • Options
    the names do have vowels in them, just welsh vowels. the welsh alphabet is different to the english alphabet. We have something like 28 letters in our alphabet.
  • Options
    I hate it when people pronounce Llandudno as 'lan-did-no'
    Llandudno isn't really prounounced 'clan-dud-no'
    the welsh people in my family assure me that it is pronounced clan ...did ..no ..
    i always refer to it as ...the land of no.
  • Options
    ive always thought it was clan-dud-no. at least, thats how i would spell it out if someone who cdnt speak welsh asked me to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dai fychan
    the names do have vowels in them, just welsh vowels. the welsh alphabet is different to the english alphabet. We have something like 28 letters in our alphabet.

ooooh lah de daah.

bet you think your special with your 'extra' letters.

:eek2:
  • Options
    not really. its just a different alphabet, just like german has extra letters in their alphabet and chinese has a different alphabet.
  • Options
    laaah.de.daaaah.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dai fychan
    ive always thought it was clan-dud-no. at least, thats how i would spell it out if someone who cdnt speak welsh asked me to.
    just down the road from me is the town of RUTHIN ...
    which the welsh speaking community assure me is pronounced RITHIN ...a U in welsh is mostly pronounced as an I.
    BUT seeing as very few south waliens actualy use the language on a daily basis in their everyday lives ....who are they to say? where i live welsh is the FIRST language of family and commerce ...
  • Options
    ive always wanted to learn welsh, but because its been made compulsory, the teachers cant be bothered to teach it and put everyone off. i do my best to pick things up as i go along, but im generally crap at languages anyway.
  • Options
    just to add ...most welsh speaking people see wrexham as an english blot on their landscape ...and the english see it as an example of the worst in welshness.
    wrexham is a 100% english speaking town ...that no one wants to lay claim to.
    it's a dump.
  • Options
    I was at Cardiff Central once and there they announce all the trains in Welsh first and then in English. It was hilarious to hear all the Welsh going "announce it in fucking English first, fuck's sake"; hardly anyone, even in Wales, can speak Welsh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stressedstar
    i've been there! :hyper: i loved it

Why did you love it?

I hear it's good for clubbing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Maybe it's something about Britain that makes names be read in different ways... I remember the day they told me Leicester was pronounced "Lester".

Am i missing something something here...
  • Options
    Originally posted by beans
    Am i missing something something here...

Do you not find it odd that somewhere pronounced "Lester" is spelt "Liechester?"
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Do you not find it odd that somewhere pronounced "Lester" is spelt "Liechester?"

Well i was thinking if you pronounce it how its spelt it would be 'le-ice-ster' which isn't that far off les-ter.

Oh i dunno :p