Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Noise pollution...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There has to be something you can do about it. My next door neighbour has been banging something (I have no clue what he's doing) for the past 3 or 4 hours and it's driving me insane, it's constant. Starting to feel like chinese torture. What can I do? I can't speak to them because they're completely unreasonable and always have been. The guy is always banging something and then you've got his daughters in the back garden screaming. It's enough to drive someone to insanity. :(

Comments

• Options
    Two can play at that game. Do something to annoy him or else go round there and ask them to keep the noise down or else you'll call the police.
  • Options
    I've tried blasting some loud music out with maximum bass on but it hasn't stopped. :confused:
  • Options
    If its in unresponable hours then you can call environmental health or if its way over acceptable BUT if its only diy or something in the day....go out.
  • Options
    You can report him to the council or the police. Police will only come out if it's an unreasonable time of day. but there are laws about noise levels and the council should be able to help. Chat to your Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    If its in unresponable hours then you can call environmental health or if its way over acceptable BUT if its only diy or something in the day....go out.

I shouldn't have to go out every time he decides to start banging something. He may be into DIY but it's all the bloody time and drives me to distraction.
  • Options
    Go in and talk to them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Go in and talk to them.

Talk to the neighbours? Or the council? Who do you mean?
  • Options
    If you call the police, they'll do nothing. :( They'll just tell you to call the local council, enviromental dept I think. And they'll just tell you to keep a log of all the times and dates of the disturbances so you can say when, and how loud, the noise is. Than if the problem persists you can go back to them and they may send a letter (without mentioning your name obviously - ie anonymous) about the problem. Of course, if it continues, then they may be able to write again, and/or send an inspector, etc. But there's no instant solution.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    It would be a good idea to talk to your neighbour first. And log it that you have spoken to them, then continue keeping a log of future disturbances. After a few weeks, contact the council.
  • Options

Your neighbours. Tell them your trying to get to sleep or something like that and could you not have a bit of piece and quiet?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, it's been taken on board, I'll try speaking to them but I have done before and just got short shrift off them. I know what the police are like with 'noise pollution' they couldn't give a damn, like a lot of other things and the council can't do much either so I guess I'll just turn my music up if they don't listen to me. :(
  • Options
    Have a party.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Have a party.

lol. I'd love to.
  • Options
    My neighbour called the Police one time when me local shops' alarm went off and was going on for hours in the middle of the night; the poilce just told him to call the enviromental department or something like that and they will call down and needed a recording of at least 3 minutes of the noise before they could do anything. Though with his luck... he only got 2 mins. But something you could try, if it gets unbarable if it continues during the night when you're trying to sleep.
  • Options
    I shouldn't have to go out every time he decides to start banging something. He may be into DIY but it's all the bloody time and drives me to distraction.

no you shouldn't but if its driving you mad & you won't go talk to them well theres not much more you can do.
    Wobble is right the police tell you to ring the EH part of the council. They don't normally come out on a first call though, unless they arent busy.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't understand how he finds so many things to bang, to be honest, I think he goes into his little shed and bangs a hammer just to get away from his wife :lol:
  • Options
    Wow sounds like my old neighbours..... they were unreasonable too and didnt care with the noise...
    So in the end at about 2am in the morning i had a stereo playing full blast with the speakers facing the wall and woke up the poor little kiddies

But after that the noise levels was improved.
  • Options
    Originally posted by crazy_guy
    Wow sounds like my old neighbours..... they were unreasonable too and didnt care with the noise...
    So in the end at about 2am in the morning i had a stereo playing full blast with the speakers facing the wall and woke up the poor little kiddies

But after that the noise levels was improved.

I've thought about doing that many a time, it's so tempting.
  • Options
    When I had my own place, and they decided to be funny beggers by playing their music one time in the wee hours of the morning; I got my boot and start bangin on the skirtin board constantly until she either turned it down or off. Heard her turn the music off to hear me bang, but I stopped; then she turned her music up again so I started banging; she finally kept her music down; so think she got the message.

My only problem with my current neighbour is either hearing her laugh when she has mates round. You think Nadias laugh from Big Brother was bad :rolleyes: ...then having to her at it with her boyfriend. The girl is like a machine; exact same routine every week.