Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Urine Colour

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
urinechart.jpg

So what colour do you reckon you are?

The lighter the colour the more hydrayed you are.

If yours is on the dark side it means you need to drink more water

Comments

• Options
    How is urine made?
    Your urine is made by the kidneys and stored in the bladder. The kidneys act as a filter, draining the water and waste products from the blood and keeping the blood cells and larger protein molecules in the circulation. Most of the water is absorbed back into the blood, leaving the waste substances as a more concentrated solution. The amount of water absorbed depends on how much is in the blood - the kidneys work hard to keep blood at its usual concentration. When you are slightly dehydrated, your urine will be stronger and dark yellow as most of the water is absorbed back into the blood. When you have drunk a lot of fluids, the urine will be paler as the waste products in urine are more diluted.

My urine’s a strange colour
    The remains of bile made by the liver cause urine to be yellow. As urine also contains waste products from the blood, its colour is affected by what else is in the blood, such as foods and chemicals. About one in ten people find their urine turns red after they have eaten beetroot, though most people do not experience this. It seems to be more common in people with anaemia.

Red, brown or smoky-coloured urine can also be caused by taking medication, such as senna, phenolphthalein or the tuberculosis drug rifampicin. However, it may also indicate bleeding into the kidneys or bladder. This is usually due to an infection, but can be caused by a tumour. Cystitis, a urine infection in the bladder, makes you want to pass urine more frequently than usual. You have to rush to get to the toilet in time, but pass only a small volume of urine each time. There is a burning or stinging pain as the urine is passed, and there may be a pain at the bottom of the abdomen. With this infection, the urine may be cloudy, if not pink, and often has an unpleasant smell. Antibiotics can clear up the infection, and you should make sure you drink plenty of fluids each day to flush the bacteria from the bladder. Cranberry juice is thought to stop the bacteria sticking to the bladder and help clear up the infection, though this has not been proved.

Red urine. If the infection spreads into the kidneys, you will develop pyelonephritis. This usually causes a pain in the side, fever and makes you feel sick, with vomiting, diarrhoea and fits of shivering. The urine may be red or pink, and there may be symptoms like those of cystitis. This condition needs to be treated with antibiotics to prevent kidney damage. Drink lots of fluids too. Any change in the colour of your urine that you can’t link to anything you’ve eaten should be checked by your doctor.

Bubble trouble?
    If the ‘holes’ in the kidney ‘filter’ become too big, they start to let protein through into the urine. Infections, drugs, diabetes, certain types of cancer or the body’s immune system attacking its own cells by mistake can cause this to happen. The protein makes the urine frothy. This condition tends to cause swelling of the ankles and other body areas, and can make the blood more likely to form clots in the blood vessels. This condition, called ‘nephrotic syndrome’, usually gets better with medication that can be prescribed by your doctor, but there is a risk that the kidneys will not work as effectively as before. You will probably need to be admitted to hospital for tests and treatment if you have this condition to find out why it has happened and to ensure that your symptoms are getting better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    About one in ten people find their urine turns red after they have eaten beetroot, though most people do not experience this. It seems to be more common in people with anaemia.

I didn't know that :eek2:
    Just shows...
  • Options
    What is this? First year at medical school?? :cool: :lol:
  • Options
    That chart looks like one of the ones you get from DIY shops with paint colours on :lol:
  • Options
    is it just me, or is 4 darker than 5?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    is it just me, or is 4 darker than 5?

:yes:
  • Options
    mines is usually very clear, as i drink shit loads of water

imagine having number 8? :eek2:
    my kidneys always bloody play me up, have had so many infections and things, once they were so swollen i could feel them out of my back and couldnt lie down
  • Options
    Mines neon yellow. That's B-Complex for ya. :).
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    alas, mine is towards the bottom of that scale but i know that i dont drink enough water. i find it hard to just drink when i am not thirsty.
  • Options
    I think i'll go have a little drink:D
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Mine would be about 3 as well - I'd say the worse it ever got was 6.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    what are the side effects of being at 6/7 more often than not?
  • Options
    god number 4 looks like the colour of our kitchen :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum
    That chart looks like one of the ones you get from DIY shops with paint colours on :lol:

and now for our new urine yellow kitchen :lol:
  • Options
    for about 3 years mine was darker than number 8 due to stomach/kidney problems now if im ill at all it goes red and it doesnt matter whats wrong with me haha i like get a headache and it goes pink