Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

wisdom teeth - an end to the saga

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so, after the most amount of hassle i've ever had in my life about anything, i'm finally getting my teeth out. this tuesday.

only now all the fuss is over, i am faced with the reality of me being knocked out and having two teeth cut out of my head. which is scaring the shit out of me for all the wrong reasons.

please someone who's had this op tell me it's gonna be ok?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm coping with the pain and bleeding gums instead of backing down and going under the knife... I'm gonna wait n see if they sort themselves out!!

Tell me how it goes, incase my wisdom teeth will have to come out!! Good Luck!

Ilora x
    I've had it done and you will be fine! The op is pretty quick, I think it was all over and done with in 40 mins, and I went home the same day as I'm ok with general anaesthetics. You are just left with a couple of gunky holes where your wisdom teeth used to be, which they will advise you to keep clean with salt water. The relief of having it done was amazing!!
    Wasn't on wisdom teeth but I've had dental surgery and it was completely fine. It's over with so quickly and they drug you up to the eyeballs if you're in any pain, and just think after it, no more toothache!!!
    I had a tooth out under drugs & had a GA but for a different reason. You will be fine.

No more toothache yay.
    i've had a molar out before, which was horrid for a day, but more than bearable, but because my wisdom teeth are so knackered and so infected, they have to cut back my gum, saw a bit of jaw off, and pick the teeth out in bits :/ sounds great. the consultant said 'don't be surprised if you look like a hamster for a few days'. yeah, a mental, one sided hamster.

the bit that's worrying me the most is the fact that either the anaesthetic or the painkillers or the antibiotics will make me throw up. yes, i'm mental :/
    I've had it done and it wasn't bad.

They did the operation and let me go home the same day. The operation was under general anasthetic but it wasn't painful afterwards.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    the bit that's worrying me the most is the fact that either the anaesthetic or the painkillers or the antibiotics will make me throw up. yes, i'm mental :/

you have ... phobia of vomiting *cant remember the proper name for the life of her* yeh? Talk it over with the nurse beforehand, and think about it, painkillers or antibiotics don't normally make you sick? And all the anaesthetic'll do is make you sleep. It'll be ok, just make sure you milk sympathy for all its worth :p will make up for the slight hamsterness :)
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    you have ... phobia of vomiting *cant remember the proper name for the life of her* yeh?

:yes: :nervous:

medical types don't really get it. they expect you to be scared of the pain, or of needles, or of dying, and i'm not, at all.

when i changed dentist the last time, we discussed how much i hated the dentist, and he asked me how i could be scared of needles or pain when i had a bar through my tongue. when i told him my greatest fear was that his nurse would get a bit overexcited with the sucky things and hit my gag spot, he looked at me like i'd just sprouted another head.

oh, and that's another question: does anyone know if i'll have to take my tongue piercing out? the consultant said i'd need to discuss it with the anaesthetist, but i won't see him til tuesday. he said i'd most probably have to take the metal bar out, but when i asked if i could have a retainer or PFTE bar in, he didn't know.
    Yeah you do have to take off all jewelry and make-up for some reason before operations. I can understand the jewelry thing, maybe something to do with the metal and interaction with equipment of whatever, like when you have X-rays.
    I guess you could wear a plastic retainer thing, although they might say it could get in the way or something.
    :yes: :nervous:

medical types don't really get it. they expect you to be scared of the pain, or of needles, or of dying, and i'm not, at all.

when i changed dentist the last time, we discussed how much i hated the dentist, and he asked me how i could be scared of needles or pain when i had a bar through my tongue. when i told him my greatest fear was that his nurse would get a bit overexcited with the sucky things and hit my gag spot, he looked at me like i'd just sprouted another head.

Oh my goodness, I thought I was really strange, because I have a vomit phobia too!
    Originally posted by Kate1
    Oh my goodness, I thought I was really strange, because I have a vomit phobia too!

on the contrary - it's one of the most common phobias. it's also one of the most under-reported.

very few people understand though, except of course other emetophobes. the classic line 'but no one likes being sick' gets rolled out time and time again and you're like 'well thanks for that gem of wisdom. i'll remember that the next time there's a tummy bug going round and i'm so scared i don't leave my house for a week'.
    Youll be fine. Ive had mine done and I didnt even have a GA for mine, so if i can do it and survive, then so can you.
    on the contrary - it's one of the most common phobias. it's also one of the most under-reported.

very few people understand though, except of course other emetophobes. the classic line 'but no one likes being sick' gets rolled out time and time again and you're like 'well thanks for that gem of wisdom. i'll remember that the next time there's a tummy bug going round and i'm so scared i don't leave my house for a week'.

Yep, others don't understand a lot of the time... I have a thing about chicken... I won't eat it from restaurants, only if I or someone I trust cooks it at home. I also get really bothered when my housemates are cooking chicken, such as about where they leave the knife/chopping boards etc, and whether they've washed their hands properly. My phobia is accompanied by feeling sick a lot of the time too, does that happen to you? Sorry, I know this is supposed to be about your wisdom teeth... I'm just excited to meet someone who knows what I'm going through!

Hope the operation goes ok today too.
    thanks people :)

i've been done and i'm fine. well, as fine as you can be with parts of your jaw missing and an unnessecary amount of stitches in your gums. it's pretty stiff, and pretty swollen, but totally bearable. although apparently the best is still to come. i told the anaesthetist i was worried and he slipped me some anti-nausea drugs in my IV. didn't feel even slightly sick.

and they have altered my painkillers and anti-biotics to ones less likely to cause sickness. bless their hearts.
    Originally posted by Kate1
    Yep, others don't understand a lot of the time... I have a thing about chicken... I won't eat it from restaurants, only if I or someone I trust cooks it at home. I also get really bothered when my housemates are cooking chicken, such as about where they leave the knife/chopping boards etc, and whether they've washed their hands properly.

i have a chicken thing too. i obsessively over-cook it if i'm doing it myself. if someone else has cooked i scrutinise it for the slightest bit of pinkness. if there is any, i won't touch it. i also have a thing about milk, and won't drink it unless it's at least 2 days before the best before date, and not been opened longer than 2 days.

My phobia is accompanied by feeling sick a lot of the time too, does that happen to you?

yes. pretty much every day. it's anxiety. and it's totally normal to feel sick when you're anxious. but then of course as soon as you feel sick, you panic, and the more you panic, the sicker you feel. it's a vicious circle.

but yeah. it's such a weird, relieving feeling when you realise that you're not just mental. google 'emetophobia'. there are millions of us.
    i have a chicken thing too. i obsessively over-cook it if i'm doing it myself. if someone else has cooked i scrutinise it for the slightest bit of pinkness. if there is any, i won't touch it. i also have a thing about milk, and won't drink it unless it's at least 2 days before the best before date, and not been opened longer than 2 days.

yes. pretty much every day. it's anxiety. and it's totally normal to feel sick when you're anxious. but then of course as soon as you feel sick, you panic, and the more you panic, the sicker you feel. it's a vicious circle.

but yeah. it's such a weird, relieving feeling when you realise that you're not just mental. google 'emetophobia'. there are millions of us.

Oh my goodness, weird and relieving feeling is exactly the way to describe this! I have the milk thing too.... Wow, it is really a relief to find out I'm not crazy!

i've been done and i'm fine.

Glad that's finally sorted for you!

i've been done and i'm fine. well, as fine as you can be with parts of your jaw missing and an unnessecary amount of stitches in your gums. it's pretty stiff, and pretty swollen, but totally bearable. although apparently the best is still to come. i told the anaesthetist i was worried and he slipped me some anti-nausea drugs in my IV. didn't feel even slightly sick.

and they have altered my painkillers and anti-biotics to ones less likely to cause sickness. bless their hearts.

:thumb: pleased to hear that you're fine, and they were sympathetic :)

*waves hand* Me too! But the case study on here was me as well.