Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Policing American style

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

Good points well made.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Good points well made.
    do i get a coconut?
    do i get a coconut?

Cookie is more traditional, why do you want a coconut?
    Cookie is more traditional, why do you want a coconut?
    goldfish in a bag?
    To be fair I can't see police wasting their time over a couple of rocks, they've got better things to do.

So its ok to commit criminal damage ? its ok if you have a car and i throw a stone/rock at it and damage it ? Yeah, come back and say the same thing you just did when you are sick of people damaging your property.
    This is not wasting police time and the sooner people understand this the better.
    they may have been laid back cos they didn't want your small daughter seeing a vicous episode. more likely they knew who and what they were dealing with. they may well have trouble with this individual on a regular basis and know that the softly softly approach is the best way to deal with this guy ...they may know he is on medication ...they may well know he has missed his medication. there are too many factors that you don't know about.

Very true when you put it that way.

I think you know my view on policing by now which is I feel they are too soft and when i seen this it did confirm that, but yes you could be right.................on this occasion ;)
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So its ok to commit criminal damage ? its ok if you have a car and i throw a stone/rock at it and damage it ? Yeah, come back and say the same thing you just did when you are sick of people damaging your property.
    This is not wasting police time and the sooner people understand this the better.

I didn't say it was ok. I said that the police in this country, which are by and large, overworked, and over-burdened with petty bureaucracy, wouldn't be likely to go chasing a couple of little sods. If they'd thrown a rock at a motorbike and he'd come off it's a different matter isn't it?
    I didn't say it was ok.

Thats not how I read your post.
    You say that our police should be more forceful because there are many little shits out there being disrespectful. All you have is an isolated incident, not even a report on multiple incidents in a specific location. You don't have a case for the need for greater force in the police.

You ever considered those "little shits" have no respect for the police because the police have no respect for them? Searching cars because there's an 18 year old driving, searching a few people on the suspicion they've got a bit of hash in their pocket...not exactly going improve relations is it?
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Thats not how I read your post.

Do excuse me.
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    You ever considered those "little shits" have no respect for the police because the police have no respect for them? Searching cars because there's an 18 year old driving, searching a few people on the suspicion they've got a bit of hash in their pocket...not exactly going improve relations is it?

the little shit term was adopted from earlier in the thread.
    American Police don't police with the consent of the public.
    They rely heavily on enforcement and scare tactics to enforce the will of the government.

British police and European police in general are the exact opposite.
    We police with the consent of the population, we concentrate more on community issues and ensure that everyone to the best of our ability is treated fairly.

There is no point shouting orders at people. It doesn't work in this country, and it never has.
    How many times have you had an officer come over shouting at you and you've thought or said "fuck off you pig".
    What if the same officer came over, took you over the street and had a quiet word with you, asking you politely to improve your behaviour/comply with a request or you will be arrested/reported?
    When a person is spoken to quietly, it defuses any situation and gives that person little excuse to kick up a fuss. So many times I've seen typical yobs arrested where they've just been told to stick their arms behind their back and they've complied. Can you imagine the same situation in the USA? Same person would be dragged to the ground and had guns pointed at them.

It's been proven ever since the days of Robert Peel that British police work better with a community than against a community. Why do you think they've sent British cops over to Iraq to train the new police force? Because if they sent Yanks over there would be no police force, they would have been executed by the gang lords in no time.
    Originally posted by my_name
    They don't? What do they use?

Their mouths and their brains.

And batons/cs gas when people get out of hand.
    Originally posted by Spliffie

Law's the law. it's always been like that. maybe if they all stopped wanting to act like gangstas a tupac they wouldn't have a problem with the law.

Easiest way to avoid being searched all the time is to stop carrying hash on you in public.
    I've done 3 lads for sparking up in front of my face.
    On that basis I don't think the youth of today deserve any more respect, because they're too stupid to know what to do with it.
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    American Police don't police with the consent of the public.
    They rely heavily on enforcement and scare tactics to enforce the will of the government.

British police and European police in general are the exact opposite.
    We police with the consent of the population, we concentrate more on community issues and ensure that everyone to the best of our ability is treated fairly.

There is no point shouting orders at people. It doesn't work in this country, and it never has.
    How many times have you had an officer come over shouting at you and you've thought or said "fuck off you pig".
    What if the same officer came over, took you over the street and had a quiet word with you, asking you politely to improve your behaviour/comply with a request or you will be arrested/reported?
    When a person is spoken to quietly, it defuses any situation and gives that person little excuse to kick up a fuss. So many times I've seen typical yobs arrested where they've just been told to stick their arms behind their back and they've complied. Can you imagine the same situation in the USA? Same person would be dragged to the ground and had guns pointed at them.

It's been proven ever since the days of Robert Peel that British police work better with a community than against a community. Why do you think they've sent British cops over to Iraq to train the new police force? Because if they sent Yanks over there would be no police force, they would have been executed by the gang lords in no time.
    i've never thought of it like that ...interesting.

On that basis I don't think the youth of today deserve any more respect, because they're too stupid to know what to do with it.

Not all are bad uns though, its the minority who give the rest a bad name.
    I totally agree Becky, most kids are alright.
    The ones who aren't don't deserve the respect because the simply abuse it.
    Law's the law. it's always been like that. maybe if they all stopped wanting to act like gangstas a tupac they wouldn't have a problem with the law.

Easiest way to avoid being searched all the time is to stop carrying hash on you in public.
    I've done 3 lads for sparking up in front of my face.

You say 'the youth of today' but you're tarring all youth with the same brush which tends not to be a good idea, I've been treated like shit by police just because I'm 'a young person' In order for them to be respected, they need to respect us. It works both ways.
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    You say 'the youth of today' but you're tarring all youth with the same brush which tends not to be a good idea, I've been treated like shit by police just because I'm 'a young person' In order for them to be respected, they need to respect us. It works both ways.

That's a fair comment. Though the police have never pulled me over for driving a car that is far too big engine wise and far too expensive to actually be mine (I drive my dad's 2.2ltr). If they did, it would be a question of how I reacted that would get me the respect I think I deserve.
    That's a fair comment. Though the police have never pulled me over for driving a car that is far too big engine wise and far too expensive to actually be mine (I drive my dad's 2.2ltr). If they did, it would be a question of how I reacted that would get me the respect I think I deserve.

Yeah I agree with that. The policing where I live is terrible in my opinion.

My boyfriend used to pick me up from my house a lot and I live on an estate which doesn't have a good rep but he was stopped 4 times in a row by the police because he happened to be a black man driving a subaru, stopped for no reason whatsoever. It really gets on my nerves.
    You didn't read the second bit I wrote, agreeing with Becky that not all teenagers are bad/yobbish.
    A lot of the typical teens round where I work have earnt my respect, and I have earnt theirs.
    Yes I discipline them, and they know if they fell out of line they would feel the conscequences.
    But I don't persecute them, I don't follow anyone around telling them to behave, asking them their names, or anything like that.
    I can trust most of them to behave when I'm not around, and the ones that don't are pulled into line by the ones who do.

There are 2 types of fear. Fear of what someone does do, and fear of what someone COULD do. They know I won't severely punish them, but you can always tell that they are never too sure and it's enough to keep them in check.
    You didn't read the second bit I wrote, agreeing with Becky that not all teenagers are bad/yobbish.
    A lot of the typical teens round where I work have earnt my respect, and I have earnt theirs.
    Yes I discipline them, and they know if they fell out of line they would feel the conscequences.
    But I don't persecute them, I don't follow anyone around telling them to behave, asking them their names, or anything like that.
    I can trust most of them to behave when I'm not around, and the ones that don't are pulled into line by the ones who do.

There are 2 types of fear. Fear of what someone does do, and fear of what someone COULD do. They know I won't severely punish them, but you can always tell that they are never too sure and it's enough to keep them in check.

That's another thing I hate, the power some police have goes to their head and they use it unreasonably.
    I'm a CSO, not a PC. I may have some power but I certainly don't abuse it and I certainly don't walk around thinking I'm better than everyone because I have a uniform on.

We're around to keep the peace, and we do a good job. I get on well with everyone I come across and so far I've recieved a positive reaction.
    Being accused of letting the power go to my head or being a tinpot Hitler is not something that I've ever had.
    That's another thing I hate, the power some police have goes to their head and they use it unreasonably.

I think that it's a minority that you're talking about mate. It certainly doesn't seem to be the prevalent attitude by me.
    I think that it's a minority that you're talking about mate. It certainly doesn't seem to be the prevalent attitude by me.

I've lived in the nottingham area for 3 years now and have come across only two decent policemen, the rest have been a waste of space and I've had quite a few dealings with police in my area for different reasons.
    I've lived in the nottingham area for 3 years now and have come across only two decent policemen, the rest have been a waste of space and I've had quite a few dealings with police in my area for different reasons.

that's a shame.

Thames valley do alright, i wonder why the attitude isn't so universal, perhaps because of the environment they work in?
    that's a shame.

Thames valley do alright, i wonder why the attitude isn't so universal, perhaps because of the environment they work in?

I don't know but I'm also sick of the institutional racism in the police force, especially in the town I live. :mad:
    I don't know but I'm also sick of the institutional racism in the police force, especially in the town I live. :mad:

Yup, different argument altogether though isn't it? Did you see the BBC report on the manchester force?
    Yup, different argument altogether though isn't it? Did you see the BBC report on the manchester force?

I know it's a different one altogether lol. I didn't see it no, when was it on, what was it about?
    I know it's a different one altogether lol. I didn't see it no, when was it on, what was it about?

About six months ago, about instituional racism.