Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My Old Freinds...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
here's my query;

I have a packet (well, sheet) of 50mg Pethidine tablets in my draw, which were issued to me a while ago for relief of acute renal pain.

My pain cleared up around 2000-01, and i rediscovered these little beauties last year. Went through a few weeks of just coming home from work and poping a few which used to give me a wonderful feeling of relaxation and contentment, like being wrapped up in a warm blanket. Probably the nicest narcotic i have taken (E was a better buzz, but the comedown-less synthetic opiate was more pleasurable).

These tablets were issued on 19 nov 2001 (which is a LONG time ago), and i want to know if it is still safe to take them. I cannot see a date on the packet, but i seem to remember seeing one at some point (late 2003 possibly).

I have asked a med-student freind of mine who claimed that these drugs do not go 'off' but simply reduce in effectiveness.

Does anyone have any information on this at all? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I very much doubt that they will go 'off' and cause you any harm, the likelyhood is that the drug will just get less effective.

Though having said that virtually all prescription drugs are very stable and will last ages.

I would say your concerns would be better placed worrying about using an opiate to relieve stress. Thats a slippery slope, be careful.
  • Options
    i dont have enough of them for it to become a problem :) / :(

I just found that they put me in a nice little place and wondered if it would be ok to do the rest of them.

Thanks for your advice:)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Careful there, Pethidine (or Meperidine, Demerol), is just as addictive as morphine. I read on the Erowid page that opioid addiction can start in as little as two weeks of regular usage.
    As with any prescription medicine, it isn't advisable to take it is it is past the use by date, in the case of medicines it is there for a good reason.
    Erowid has a bit of info here and there is more infor on the RX list site as well.
  • Options
    well they've gone in the bonfire anyway, but thanx alot:D