Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

proper bargaining

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone got some good (and polite) bargaining techniques when looking for second hand goods (in my case a slightly too expensive Playstation 2, that I'd like to buy for about 20 pounds less :D)

greetz!
FLX

Comments

• Options
    "Fancy knocking 20 quid off?"
  • Options
    "Couldn't give us that a bit cheaper could ya"?
  • Options
    right.
    "...or else :impissed:"
  • Options
    ah come on, someone offered me a playstation 2 for 30 quid cheaper than what you're offering it for, gimme it for (then say a price that is 20 quid off the price he is asking for), eventually he'll sucumb.
  • Options
    Ask them if that's their very best price. Be prepared to walk away.
  • Options
    I always half it. Say that's all the money you have available and you'll just have to get it from somewhere else otherwise (please note that there's tonnes of places you can get them frmo 2nd hand ie: ebay)
  • Options
    Say to them that you were only prepared ot pay £30 less than the asking price, and be prepared to say "no, thank you". If the price is negotiable it will be negotiated, if it isn't you won't have lost owt.
  • Options
    Just be honest and say Ive got 'ex' amount cash and i will take it now, they say 'yes' or 'no'. If they wont drop the price then walk away.
    If they wont come down you could offer to give them your mobile number in case they change their mind, that also lets them know you are not going to go any higher.......if they dont sell and need the cash then chances are you will get a phone call from them.

I always haggle on any second hand things, ive also been known to haggle on new items. If Im buying a few things from one retailer then id expect some kind of discount or something shoved in free. Always ask for discount cos at the end of the day they can only say 'no'.
  • Options
    a little flirting/friendliness doesn't go amiss either.
  • Options
    Have a price in your head and say a price lower than your orginal one and then slowly build up to the price you want to pay. Or you could just say, "hey man I got 5 kids to feed!"
  • Options
    hey, thanks for all the replies!
    I'm that'll help me a lot! :)